BTB Vela: On the Cowboys' Media: Fire the Bum!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On the Cowboys' Media: Fire the Bum!

tiny.gif.v3808
by Rafael Vela on Nov 14, 2008 7:24 PM CST

I'm scanning the breathless and presumptuous headlines from the Metroplexians today and I'm chuckling:

"Improved Pass Rush Could Save Wade Phillips' Job"

"Tony Romo Now Only Hope for Not-So-Super Cowboys"

"Dallas Cowboys Nation Has Got Love for Bill Cowher"

Step back from the emotional churn of Commanders week, for just a minute if you can, and consider the dominant story lines in Dallas the past several years:
  • 2002 -- Dave Campo has this team in a ditch. Fire him!
  • 2003 -- Jerry Hires Bill. How long until the marriage goes sour and Bill is fired?
  • 2004 -- Bill goes 6-10. How long before Jerry fires him?
  • 2005 -- Bill hasn't made the playoffs yet. Should Jerry fire him?!
  • 2006 -- T.O. is here. How long before Bill fires him or Jerry fires Bill?
  • 2007 -- Wade is here, but so is Jason Garrett. Will Jerry fire Wade after one season, even if he wins a Super Bowl?
  • 2008 -- Wade is gonna get fired after this year, even if he wins a Super Bowl! What? Wade isn't winning the Super Bowl? Fire him!
(Okay, they got 2002 right. But a .143 batting average is nothing to brag about.)

Keeping up with all this nuance and originality makes my head hurt. When has Jerry ever shown a quick hook? He axed Chan Gailey after two playoff years, but that was to keep Troy Aikman from tuning him out completely. Jerry gave Barry Switzer a longer tenure than anybody expected. He gave Dave Campo three full seasons. He's quirky, maybe even crazy, but he's not Al Davis Crazy. That's a category deserving its own copyright.

The Cowboys have never fired a head coach mid-season in 49 years. Jerry is in year 20 and he's never done this. The meme that "Wade Phillips might save his job for another week or two" is an insult to any serious fan's intelligence.
It just ain't gonna happen.

And if Jerry were to hire Cowher, next year or at some other future date, I'm going to go out on a long, thin limb and predict this will be the story line:

2009 -- Jerry hires another Big Bill. How long until the marriage goes sour and Bill is fired?

Tom Coughlin once ripped the press, saying they write about football as if it were a soap opera because they understand soap operas better than football.

I think he was onto something.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2418983 said:
On the Cowboys' Media: Fire the Bum!

tiny.gif.v3808
by Rafael Vela on Nov 14, 2008 7:24 PM CST

I'm scanning the breathless and presumptuous headlines from the Metroplexians today and I'm chuckling:

"Improved Pass Rush Could Save Wade Phillips' Job"

"Tony Romo Now Only Hope for Not-So-Super Cowboys"

"Dallas Cowboys Nation Has Got Love for Bill Cowher"

Step back from the emotional churn of Commanders week, for just a minute if you can, and consider the dominant story lines in Dallas the past several years:
  • 2002 -- Dave Campo has this team in a ditch. Fire him!
  • 2003 -- Jerry Hires Bill. How long until the marriage goes sour and Bill is fired?
  • 2004 -- Bill goes 6-10. How long before Jerry fires him?
  • 2005 -- Bill hasn't made the playoffs yet. Should Jerry fire him?!
  • 2006 -- T.O. is here. How long before Bill fires him or Jerry fires Bill?
  • 2007 -- Wade is here, but so is Jason Garrett. Will Jerry fire Wade after one season, even if he wins a Super Bowl?
  • 2008 -- Wade is gonna get fired after this year, even if he wins a Super Bowl! What? Wade isn't winning the Super Bowl? Fire him!
(Okay, they got 2002 right. But a .143 batting average is nothing to brag about.)

Keeping up with all this nuance and originality makes my head hurt. When has Jerry ever shown a quick hook? He axed Chan Gailey after two playoff years, but that was to keep Troy Aikman from tuning him out completely. Jerry gave Barry Switzer a longer tenure than anybody expected. He gave Dave Campo three full seasons. He's quirky, maybe even crazy, but he's not Al Davis Crazy. That's a category deserving its own copyright.

The Cowboys have never fired a head coach mid-season in 49 years. Jerry is in year 20 and he's never done this. The meme that "Wade Phillips might save his job for another week or two" is an insult to any serious fan's intelligence.
It just ain't gonna happen.

And if Jerry were to hire Cowher, next year or at some other future date, I'm going to go out on a long, thin limb and predict this will be the story line:

2009 -- Jerry hires another Big Bill. How long until the marriage goes sour and Bill is fired?

Tom Coughlin once ripped the press, saying they write about football as if it were a soap opera because they understand soap operas better than football.

I think he was onto something.

Remember, Coughlin was about to be fired in New York last year because the players said he was too strict. Look how that turned out.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Vela by way of WoodysGirl;2418983 said:
"They write about football as if it were a soap opera because they understand soap operas better than football."
I'd make that my sig line, if only Coughlin hadn't been the one who said it.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Reading all those story lines shows how consistently negative the dallas media is.
I have a hard time liking anyone in the media anymore.
Especially the Dallas media.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2418988 said:
Remember, Coughlin was about to be fired in New York last year because the players said he was too strict. Look how that turned out.

IDC if Wade wins a superbowl for us he should still be gone.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2418983 said:

I made the mistake of clicking on that one and found this gem:

“Hi Jennifer. Question: I wonder how long Coach Comatose stood on the sidelines of Texas Stadium (Sunday) before he realized there was no game!?!” -- Jay Burch, Mount Pleasant, TX

Good question so I posed this to a couple of Wade watchers and everybody is pretty sure he realized his mistake midway through the first quarter. Probably when he had nothing to fist pump. Luckily, as per usual, all mistakes are on him.

I'm sure a lot of people here agree with her, but geez, how many other towns have such juvenile writers?

The problem with digging in a position like this is that even if we go on a run and end up 11-5 or something, these people will still be looking to bash because they've already made up their mind. It's just stupid. Can't this town hire some real writers?

Man, would I love for us to finish strong and Wade to tell JFE and the other negative nancies to stick it up their ***.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Fans or Media should not run a franchise. This is when stupid things happen like paying too much for washed up players or firing your coach during the 4th game of the year.

The fans or media will never be happy, so the owner should do what he feels is best. I think Wade is a fine coach, but if Jerry feels there are better options available he should pursue them.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
reason why coughlin wasnt fired, he changed his coaching style

just like mack brown of texas longhorns, he changed his coaching style

till wade is MAN ENOUGH TO ADMIT HIS WAY ISNT WORKING THAT EVERYTHING WILL BE ALLRIGHT, AND GET TOUGH ON THE PLAYERS, THE COACHES AND HIMSELF, good ole wade is doomed,

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2418983 said:
Somehow I don't think that problem is isolated to the NY media.

:D