BTB Vela: Trust the Rookies, Wade

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Trust the Rookies, Wade

tiny.gif.v3808
by Rafael Vela on Nov 15, 2008 1:23 PM CST
I'm encouraged by news that Terence Newman will return healthy this week. I've reviewed the Commanders tape from week four and Washington's first half tear came almost exclusively against him.

Newman has averaged 6.3 in YPA the past four years. As KC Joyner noted in his Thursday chat, the injured Newman posted a 9.9 YPA the first month. That's backup- level and by far the worst number Newman has ever posted. If he's truly healthy, there's every reason to expect a quantum leap in performance.

I'm concerned by the changes Newman's return will likely bring. Wade Phillips is famously allergic to playing rookies, so I suspect that Mike Jenkins will take to the sideline and Anthony Henry will remain at left corner.
star-divide.jpg.v5547

I think Henry should be the guy who makes way. His coverage has dropped off this year; he's posted an 8.5 YPA after 9 games. Last year, in his best season for Dallas, Henry put up a solid 6.6 YPA.

(For reference, Joyner considers any regular CB with a YPA under 7.0 a green, or upper-level corner. Numbers between 7.0 and 9.0 rate you a "yellow," or average CB, and numbers above 9.0 are "red" or backup quality.)

A source told me recently that he spoke to staff of a Cowboys' opponent, who told him they game planned at Henry rather than the still-green Jenkins because they don't feel Henry can run any more. His YPA suggests they made the right choice.

Jenkins sports a 6.4. That's a highly-respectable number for any player, especially a rookie. Note that it's better than Henry's Cowboys best.

It's no secret that Dallas needs better run defense. This will probably require more safety support, which means Dallas will need to play more press coverage. If the Cowboys want to make a run, they'll need to put their best athletes on the field. In my opinion they should go with Newman and Jenkins on the corners and Orlando Scandrick in the slot.

The staff may feel there's too much at stake to trust the new guys. I think there's too much at stake not to.

Of course, Henry is so fragile he may pull up again soon and make this argument mute.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2008/11/15/662114/trust-the-rookies-wade

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Wade needs to go to www.startMikeJenkinsnow.com.

He went to www.cutJamesMarten.com a little late. We cut our 6th round pick for James Marten.

I don't even think Felix gets a carry if Barber isn't hurt against Cleveland.

Anthony Spencer needs to be on the field in the base and all of the sub-packages, imo.

Those are two moves that can upgrade the defense right now. Plus, those two guys are two of our most talented players on the entire team. They just lack experience. They can't get it if you don't play them.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2419783 said:
this crap is so obvious

Wade is just soft and scared

I hate that *****

I agree he never worked Felix into the lineup Henry has been beat like a rented mule and he seemed content to watch Proctor get bulldozed without pulling the trigger on Holland or anyone else for that matter.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Yet another example of why Phillips was always a good DC, but never succeeded as a HC.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2419914 said:
I think it's amazing how one big pass play makes Newman stats look like crap.

That's because he hasn't had that many completed against him. So one big one skews his average.