News: BTB: What Can You Expect From A 4-12 Team The Following Season?

NewsBot

Reaction score
GettyImages-83237323.0.jpg

Rebounding from a 4-12 record is not necessarily an easy thing to do if you look at the historical record of 4-12 teams in the league.

Many fans expect that with a healthy Tony Romo back in 2016, the Cowboys will simply pick up where they left off in 2014. And that's okay. We're fans. It's our job to be optimistic.

The "healthy Romo" narrative requires that we see 2015 as just a glitch, that the 4-12 season was an anomaly resulting from injuries to key players, and that 2015 was clearly an outlier for this team.

But what if the 12-4 finish in 2014 was an outlier? What if 2015 is much closer to the norm than anybody likes to admit? After all, the Cowboys were an 8-8 team for three years before suddenly improving by four wins in 2014, so what's to say the baseline for this team isn't 8-8? In fact, starting with 8-8 as the baseline would make last year's 4-12 record much less of an outlier than it would be if you consider 12-4 the baseline.

But while the discussion of where the Cowboys' baseline is could provide for hours of animated discussion, what's not up for discussion is that the Cowboys were a 4-12 team in 2015. The Cowboys get all the accoutrements that come with such a record: A top four draft pick, the opportunity to coach the Senior Bowl, a last-place schedule in 2016. And they'll have to work their way up from that record in 2016.

David Helman of Dallascowboys.com for example thinks the Cowboys are in a good position to move up quickly from that 4-12 record.

It won't count for much, but this has got to be one of the most competitive 4-12 teams ever. Think that's my main takeaway from the season.

— David Helman (@HelmanDC) January 3, 2016

I don't now whether the "competitiveness" narrative is a subplot of the "healthy Romo" story or a standalone story, but I do know that it sounds very appealing because it suggests that the Cowboys can rebound nicely from the 2015 season.

In response to Helman's tweet, and suspecting that Helman's underlying premise is true, our own neithan20000 wondered whether there was a way to show that competitiveness via the Cowboys point differential.

@HelmanDC old like to see point diff. Compared to other 4-12 teams. I suspect it would confirm what you said.

— Jason Thomas (@neithan2000) January 3, 2016

Turns out, the 2015 Cowboys don't look all that great in this comparison. Since 1992, 58 teams finished the season with a 4-12. The 2015 Cowboys only rank a middling 22nd with a -99 point differential.

And there's more sobering stuff to be gleaned from looking at the historical record of 4-12 teams in the league.

• Only 15 of 58 teams (26%) had a winning record the following year, 12 (21%) made the playoffs the following year.
  • Nine teams did not improve their record the following year.
  • On average, the 47 teams that did improve their record improved by about three wins to 7.6 wins. Those same teams improved their scoring differential by almost 100 points the next year (from -120 to -25).
  • Of the 58 teams, only 8 (14%) managed a double-digit win season in the following year. Five improved to 10 wins, one each improved to 11, 12, and 13 wins respectively.

If you're a team trying to rebound from a 4-12 record, the numbers above aren't particularly encouraging. But if you're into long odds, there is one team among the 58 that could provide an interesting template for the Cowboys.

The biggest jump among the 58 teams came from the Rams, who were 4-12 in 1998 and improved to 13-3 in 1999 and won the Super Bowl that same year with the Greatest Show on Turf. Of note, that was also the season Kurt Warner took over QB duties from Tony Banks, the Rams traded for RB Marshall Faulk and drafted WR Torry Holt with the sixth overall pick.

In 1999 Kurt Warner would compile a 109.2 passer rating and throw for 8.7 yards per attempt. In 2014, Tony Romo compiled a 113.2 passer rating and threw for 8.5 yrds per attempt, and if he could repeat that performance in 2016, the Cowboys would be a premium running back and a top pick for a wide receiver away from getting back to double digit wins and perhaps a deep playoff run.

If that is what it would take, would you sign up for that?

Continue reading...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
12-4 and a SB appearance....
or 4-12 and a high draft pick....

Anything can happen.
just get this stupid season over with and into the off season and free agency / draft.....then we may have high expectations again.

The difference though of having any good expectations, is if they draft a QB.
If they do, I will feel better about the 2016 season and beyond...if they don't, we will be having this same discussion again, what to do with the 4th round pick...oh, let's go get Johnny....if he's not already here drinking with Jerry....but would they dare pick a QB with the 4th pick in 2017....

DallasDomination

Reaction score
It's not just about Romo staying healthy during the season. But staying healthy during training camp and off season workouts. He needs to get those reps in or we'll see a rusty Carolina Romo.

The season will ride on Rome shoulders again.

Junglist

Reaction score
Good article. There were 4 games last season we could have VERY easily lost. I think 8-8 is about all JG is capable of. We need to keep adding to our defense, and get a RB.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
This league and the game has changed so much from 10-15 years ago. It really is unrecognizable nowadays compared to then. In today's NFL, a team can be horrible one year and then be in contention to win the Super Bowl the next.

Just look at the Carolina Panthers. That same exact team was 3-8-1 after 12 weeks last year. Now, they are 15-1 and a one seed in the playoffs. The point is that the league with free agency and the salary cap is designed for teams to be competitive with one another and it's literally different from year to year. Gone are the days where the same 3 or 4 teams in each conference dominate every year.

With that being said, I think we can turn it around and make the playoffs next year provided Tony Romo stays healthy all year. I am not one of those that think we should draft a Quarterback with the 4th overall pick in the draft. None of the QB's coming out this year are all that impressive in my opinion and if we are going to pick one that high he better be as close to a consensus slam dunk player as there is. I'd be fine with drafting one in the 4th round, but that's as high as I'd take one.

Aside from the issues I have with our inept Head Coach and Owner, I'd say that despite that, we can make the playoffs and maybe make a run with a healthy football team. We got tore up with injuries this year and even though our Head Coach is one of the worst in the league imo, that was the main reason we had the season we had.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I say 7-9 to 11-5 could be anywhere in that range.
cowboys are not the typical 4-12 team so that comparison is flawed.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Good article. There were 4 games last season we could have VERY easily lost. I think 8-8 is about all JG is capable of. We need to keep adding to our defense, and get a RB.

The fact we went 12-4 makes the above statement untrue.

Rogah

Reaction score
And there were about 5 games this year we could have VERY easily won.

This team is 15-4 in the last 2 years in games started by Romo. If he is healthy, there is no reason to think they aren't a 12 win team next year. If he gets injured, then we're screwed (as would be the Steelers, Patriots, Packers, Panthers, etc, if they lost their starting QBs).

BigD5

Reaction score
GettyImages-83237323.0.jpg

Rebounding from a 4-12 record is not necessarily an easy thing to do if you look at the historical record of 4-12 teams in the league.

Many fans expect that with a healthy Tony Romo back in 2016, the Cowboys will simply pick up where they left off in 2014. And that's okay. We're fans. It's our job to be optimistic.

The "healthy Romo" narrative requires that we see 2015 as just a glitch, that the 4-12 season was an anomaly resulting from injuries to key players, and that 2015 was clearly an outlier for this team.

But what if the 12-4 finish in 2014 was an outlier? What if 2015 is much closer to the norm than anybody likes to admit? After all, the Cowboys were an 8-8 team for three years before suddenly improving by four wins in 2014, so what's to say the baseline for this team isn't 8-8? In fact, starting with 8-8 as the baseline would make last year's 4-12 record much less of an outlier than it would be if you consider 12-4 the baseline.

But while the discussion of where the Cowboys' baseline is could provide for hours of animated discussion, what's not up for discussion is that the Cowboys were a 4-12 team in 2015. The Cowboys get all the accoutrements that come with such a record: A top four draft pick, the opportunity to coach the Senior Bowl, a last-place schedule in 2016. And they'll have to work their way up from that record in 2016.

David Helman of Dallascowboys.com for example thinks the Cowboys are in a good position to move up quickly from that 4-12 record.

It won't count for much, but this has got to be one of the most competitive 4-12 teams ever. Think that's my main takeaway from the season.

— David Helman (@HelmanDC) January 3, 2016

I don't now whether the "competitiveness" narrative is a subplot of the "healthy Romo" story or a standalone story, but I do know that it sounds very appealing because it suggests that the Cowboys can rebound nicely from the 2015 season.

In response to Helman's tweet, and suspecting that Helman's underlying premise is true, our own neithan20000 wondered whether there was a way to show that competitiveness via the Cowboys point differential.

@HelmanDC old like to see point diff. Compared to other 4-12 teams. I suspect it would confirm what you said.

— Jason Thomas (@neithan2000) January 3, 2016

Turns out, the 2015 Cowboys don't look all that great in this comparison. Since 1992, 58 teams finished the season with a 4-12. The 2015 Cowboys only rank a middling 22nd with a -99 point differential.

And there's more sobering stuff to be gleaned from looking at the historical record of 4-12 teams in the league.

• Only 15 of 58 teams (26%) had a winning record the following year, 12 (21%) made the playoffs the following year.
  • Nine teams did not improve their record the following year.
  • On average, the 47 teams that did improve their record improved by about three wins to 7.6 wins. Those same teams improved their scoring differential by almost 100 points the next year (from -120 to -25).
  • Of the 58 teams, only 8 (14%) managed a double-digit win season in the following year. Five improved to 10 wins, one each improved to 11, 12, and 13 wins respectively.

If you're a team trying to rebound from a 4-12 record, the numbers above aren't particularly encouraging. But if you're into long odds, there is one team among the 58 that could provide an interesting template for the Cowboys.

The biggest jump among the 58 teams came from the Rams, who were 4-12 in 1998 and improved to 13-3 in 1999 and won the Super Bowl that same year with the Greatest Show on Turf. Of note, that was also the season Kurt Warner took over QB duties from Tony Banks, the Rams traded for RB Marshall Faulk and drafted WR Torry Holt with the sixth overall pick.

In 1999 Kurt Warner would compile a 109.2 passer rating and throw for 8.7 yards per attempt. In 2014, Tony Romo compiled a 113.2 passer rating and threw for 8.5 yrds per attempt, and if he could repeat that performance in 2016, the Cowboys would be a premium running back and a top pick for a wide receiver away from getting back to double digit wins and perhaps a deep playoff run.

If that is what it would take, would you sign up for that?

Continue reading...

I expect to win the division and make a run at winning the super bowl. Barring any historically terrible run of injuries like we had this season

BigD5

Reaction score
And there were about 5 games this year we could have VERY easily won.

This team is 15-4 in the last 2 years in games started by Romo. If he is healthy, there is no reason to think they aren't a 12 win team next year. If he gets injured, then we're screwed (as would be the Steelers, Patriots, Packers, Panthers, etc, if they lost their starting QBs).

And let's be honest, we were tanking the last 4 weeks of the season

Eddie

Reaction score
I don't care how well/poorly we play next year, as long as we have the hope of a young QB who is being developed into our long term answer at QB.