Bucs, Broncos extend Garcia offers

k19

Reaction score
ESPN.com news services

If Jeff Garcia is ready to be the No. 2 quarterback for a team, the offers are out there.

Jeff Garcia
Quarterback
Cleveland Browns

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
Att Comp PaTD RuTD Int Rat
252 144 10 2 9 76.7

After taking a physical and meeting with coach Jon Gruden, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers offered Garcia a contract to backup newly re-signed QB Brian Griese, the St. Petersburg Times reported.

"Jeff is strongly considering Tampa Bay," agent Steve Baker told the paper. "He met with Coach Gruden knowing that they had reached a deal with Brian Griese. I'd say there's a 50 percent chance he goes there."

Garcia has long been an admirer of Gruden, and apparently the feeling is mutual.

"He's a great talent, but I don't have anything to report there," Gruden told The Tampa Tribune of Garcia. "We're looking into his situation just like everybody else is."

If Garcia decides against the Bucs, the Rocky Mountain news reports the Denver Broncos offered up a deal to backup Jake Plummer.

Garcia, 35, met with Broncos coach Mike Shanahan on Saturday night in Indianapolis while Broncos officials were attending the NFL's scouting combine.

What is certain about the Bucs quarterback situation is that Brad Johnson won't be a part of it. the Times reports the team informed Johnson that he would be released before Tuesday.

"I guess it'll be a new lease on life, as far as my football career goes," Johnson told the Times. "The reasons why I went to Tampa were accomplished. When I was leading Washington as a free agent, it was assumed I was going other places. I chose Tampa for one reason and that was accomplished. Part of you wishes your career could end in one place."

With the pusuit of Garcia, the Bucs are signaling that they aren't ready to hand over the reigns to third-year quarterback Chris Simms.

"We don't give guys starting jobs here just because Buffalo is giving their guy [J.P. Losman] their job," Gruden told the two Tampa-area papers. "Chris Simms has to earn that right. He has to earn the right to be a starter. He hasn't done that yet.

"Do we think he can? Yeah. We think he has great upside. But he has to string along some consistent performances -- in practice and the preseason. He has to get the center exchange.

"He has to improve his play. And when he does, when he realizes his potential, I think he'll be a starter in this league. But right now, he's challenging to become one."

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now where have we heard that before?

I think Gruden is holding back the franchise. They should just throw him out there and let the kid play.:D