Butchered sports terms that make you cringe

Mannix

Reaction score
I've brought this up before, but it's still driving me crazy....EVERY badly missed FG is now being referred to as having been shanked. ?????? For the last time....if a kicker is right footed, a miss to the right is either a push, fade, shove, or a shank....a miss to the left is either a hook, jerk, or a pull.....a right footed kicker DOES NOT SHANK A KICK TO THE LEFT....EVER!!! Nor does a punter for that matter. On a much smaller scale, can we also quit referring to the NFL Playoffs as a "tournament"....the first person I ever heard continually refer to it as that was Bill Parcells....I hear it all the time now.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
When I hear someone say "He drives a NASCAR", I know they don't know what they are talking about.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Announcers and others will invariably call an end-around a reverse.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Hes a definite "first ballot hall of famer"......or "future hall of famer".......hate it because it seems everyone is...

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I've brought this up before, but it's still driving me crazy....EVERY badly missed FG is now being referred to as having been shanked. ?????? For the last time....if a kicker is right footed, a miss to the right is either a push, fade, shove, or a shank....a miss to the left is either a hook, jerk, or a pull.....a right footed kicker DOES NOT SHANK A KICK TO THE LEFT....EVER!!! Nor does a punter for that matter. On a much smaller scale, can we also quit referring to the NFL Playoffs as a "tournament"....the first person I ever heard continually refer to it as that was Bill Parcells....I hear it all the time now.

A tie is like kissing your sister.
That's just plain sick.
Glad we don't hear that one anymore!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anything that credits god for the victory is cringe worthy. I'm a person of faith and I'm pretty darn sure god isn't playing sports favorites.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I don't have a great example, but about 10 or so years ago, the term "bubble screen" was used to describe just about any quick screen pass. A lot of smoke screens were called bubble screens.

When in doubt, just call it a screen and move on.