"Buy or Sell" (Predictions about Next Year)

Sepia

Reaction score
On Cowboys Break, Broaddus had a series of questions to predict how you think next year will go. You either "buy" stock in a prediction (agree), or "sell" (disagree). Some of my answers differed from the other hosts' responses, so I'm curious what y'all think.

Here were the predictions:

BUY OR SELL:

• Cowboys run defense finishes first in the NFL (they were first in 2016... 83.5 yards per game)
  • Cowboys finish better than 23rd in the NFL in passing yards per game
  • Cowboys will be Top 5 in scoring offense (they were 5th in 2016... another random note, they were apparently 18th in field goal percentage)
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 38% on third down (they held them to 39% in 2016)
  • NY Giants will hold Dak to 51% passing in two games, like they did in 2016
  • Cole Beasley will have more games with double-digit targets than Jason Witten (in 2016, Cole had one game and Witten had three with double-digit targets... Dez had five)
  • Zeke will have 6 or more games with 130+ rushing yards (he had five in 2016)
  • Anthony Brown will have more passes defended than Scandrick (they both had 8 in 2016)
  • Collins gets six sacks this season (five in 2016)
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 19 points per game

BONUS: Which player will be primed for their first Pro Bowl this year
(they ended up discussing if Collins could make it)?

CWR

Reaction score
Buy all but the giants holding Dak. Yep Im a homer. Bonus answer: Anthony Brown although I like Collins (both), Jaylon and Switzer as a returner just for giggles.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • Cowboys run defense finishes first in the NFL (they were first in 2016... 83.5 yards per game): SELL, though defenses should be ranked by points surrendered anyway.
  • Cowboys finish better than 23rd in the NFL in passing yards per game: BUY
  • Cowboys will be Top 5 in scoring offense (they were 5th in 2016... another random note, they were apparently 18th in field goal percentage) BUY
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 38% on third down (they held them to 39% in 2016): BUY
  • NY Giants will hold Dak to 51% passing in two games, like they did in 2016: SELL; Dak will figure it out, eventually
  • Cole Beasley will have more games with double-digit targets than Jason Witten (in 2016, Cole had one game and Witten had three with double-digit targets... Dez had five) SELL
  • Zeke will have 6 or more games with 130+ rushing yards (he had five in 2016) BUY; let's get our value out of that high pick.
  • Anthony Brown will have more passes defended than Scandrick (they both had 8 in 2016) BUY; Scandrick's arrow is pointing down.
  • Collins gets six sacks this season (five in 2016): BUY
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 19 points per game SELL; 4 teams did this last year. (NE, DEN, SEA, NYFG). We were at 20.0 (23.4 in 2015).

BONUS: Which player will be primed for their first Pro Bowl this year (they ended up discussing if Collins could make it)? Let's go with Beasley. Not because I expect him to get enough looks to make it, but just because he seems to be getting the league-wide recognition quietly in the background here recently.

DFWJC

Reaction score
BUY OR SELL:

• Cowboys run defense finishes first in the NFL (they were first in 2016... 83.5 yards per game) ____SELL
  • Cowboys finish better than 23rd in the NFL in passing yards per game_____BUY
  • Cowboys will be Top 5 in scoring offense (they were 5th in 2016... another random note, they were apparently 18th in field goal percentage)...SELL
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 38% on third down (they held them to 39% in 2016)____BUY
  • NY Giants will hold Dak to 51% passing in two games, like they did in 2016____SELL
  • Cole Beasley will have more games with double-digit targets than Jason Witten (in 2016, Cole had one game and Witten had three with double-digit targets... Dez had five)_____SELL
  • Zeke will have 6 or more games with 130+ rushing yards (he had five in 2016)___BUY
  • Anthony Brown will have more passes defended than Scandrick (they both had 8 in 2016)____BUY
  • Collins gets six sacks this season (five in 2016)____BUY
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 19 points per game____SELL

(they ended up discussing if Collins could make it)? Collins

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
BUY OR SELL:

• Cowboys run defense finishes first in the NFL (they were first in 2016... 83.5 yards per game)........................SELL.......They can be pretty dang good and not necessarily be No. 1.
  • Cowboys finish better than 23rd in the NFL in passing yards per game............................................BUY...........That's not a particularly high bar.
  • Cowboys will be Top 5 in scoring offense (they were 5th in 2016... another random note, they were apparently 18th in field goal percentage).............................BUY.................I think they'll score more points this year.
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 38% on third down (they held them to 39% in 2016).........................SELL................I expect a little regression from the defense this season on average, although they should be better later in the season.
  • NY Giants will hold Dak to 51% passing in two games, like they did in 2016.............................................SELL..................Dak will have a couple games where he struggles, but he'll have at least one good game against NYG.
  • Cole Beasley will have more games with double-digit targets than Jason Witten (in 2016, Cole had one game and Witten had three with double-digit targets... Dez had five)............................SELL..........Witten is still a big part of the offense.
  • Zeke will have 6 or more games with 130+ rushing yards (he had five in 2016)...................BUY................I expect we'll look back on Zeke's career and see Year 2 as his best statistically.
  • Anthony Brown will have more passes defended than Scandrick (they both had 8 in 2016).......................................BUY.....................Only because I don't think O can stay healthy for a full season. I expect O to be our best DB the first half of the season.
  • Collins gets six sacks this season (five in 2016)..................SELL...........I expect 5 again. Teams will start game-planning for him so others may benefit.
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 19 points per game...............................SELL......................I expect more shootouts with the defense experiencing some growing pains.

(they ended up discussing if Collins could make it)? Byron Jones was the second-best defender on the team last season overall.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
[

BUY OR SELL:

• Cowboys run defense finishes first in the NFL (they were first in 2016... 83.5 yards per game) Sell - probably finish top 5.
  • Cowboys finish better than 23rd in the NFL in passing yards per game Buy - I think we will be top 5 in passing this year. I look for an offensive explosion.
  • Cowboys will be Top 5 in scoring offense (they were 5th in 2016... another random note, they were apparently 18th in field goal percentage) Buy - I think this year's offense is going to much more diverse and dangerous. specially in second half of the season, once the OL settles in.
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 38% on third down (they held them to 39% in 2016) Buy - I think we added enough pieces and that the focus is on defense and better defense and this will improve.
  • NY Giants will hold Dak to 51% passing in two games, like they did in 2016 Sell (in one game) - we have one tough game against the giants, the first game, then figure it out in the second game and start to own them.
  • Cole Beasley will have more games with double-digit targets than Jason Witten (in 2016, Cole had one game and Witten had three with double-digit targets... Dez had five) Sell - I think Witten is still the man and switzer will take some targets away from Beasley and so will Zeke. I expect to see zeke more involved in passing game this year.
  • Zeke will have 6 or more games with 130+ rushing yards (he had five in 2016) Sell - teams will come in focused on stopping him and see him as the key to the offense. that's why the passing offense will be top 5 IMO.
  • Anthony Brown will have more passes defended than Scandrick (they both had 8 in 2016) Buy - I think Scandrick will be 4th on the depth chart by mid-season.
  • Collins gets six sacks this season (five in 2016) Buy - with emphasis on rush from the outside, his second year and playing the 3-technique he will have ample opportunities.
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 19 points per game Buy - for one reason, the offense will be very good and puts pressure on opposing teams and makes them one dimentional.

(they ended up discussing if Collins could make it)? - Collins

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BUY OR SELL:

• Cowboys run defense finishes first in the NFL (they were first in 2016... 83.5 yards per game)
  • Sell, they were first, because the pass defense was bad. Also I believe we had the fewest rushing attempts against us, so that helped keeping that number down.
  • Now that doesn't mean we wil drop out of the top 10, but probably not 1st again.
  • Buy, they can only get better
  • Cowboys will be Top 5 in scoring offense (they were 5th in 2016... another random note, they were apparently 18th in field goal percentage)
  • Buy, They can only get better, even with teams focusing on them more as they know more what to expect
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 38% on third down (they held them to 39% in 2016)
  • Buy, this too can only get better, but I don't see a lot of improvement, but even if just to 35% will be good
  • Sell, they will be lucky to keep him under 60% this year
  • Cole Beasley will have more games with double-digit targets than Jason Witten (in 2016, Cole had one game and Witten had three with double-digit targets... Dez had five)
  • Sell, you don't take that many targets away from Witten, and now there will be Switzer involved, and Dez will get more targets also
  • Buy, though this is a tough one, teams will be prepared, but so will we. However Zeke has that year of experience, and take away his 1st 2 games, he won't have those this year
  • But if he does get over 5, it will only be 6 or 7
  • Anthony Brown will have more passes defended than Scandrick (they both had 8 in 2016)
  • Buy, as I think Brown will get more targets at him then Scandrick. It's just a numbers game on this
  • Buy, yes, he gets more than 5, possibly 8 to 10
  • Buy, but not by much, but even a 2 point improvement will be good. If you buy the run and pass defense will be better, this one better be better...LOL...

BONUS: Which player will be primed for their first Pro Bowl this year (they ended up discussing if Collins could make it)?
Yes, Collins is a good choice here

Here is a buy or sell....Dak will have more passing yards this year, I think he had 3667 last year?

bpfred

Reaction score
  • Cowboys run defense finishes first in the NFL (they were first in 2016... 83.5 yards per game) - Sell. They are playing a much tougher schedule this year.
  • Cowboys finish better than 23rd in the NFL in passing yards per game - No Opinion
  • Cowboys will be Top 5 in scoring offense (they were 5th in 2016... another random note, they were apparently 18th in field goal percentage) - No opinion. I am much more concerned than most on this board about the offensive line. Free was a good run blocker, and a pretty bad pass blocker. Leary was a top 12 guard last year. I think there is a good chance we will be worse on the line this year. If Smith, Martin, or Frederick have a significant injury, this could be a really significant drop.
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 38% on third down (they held them to 39% in 2016) - Don't agree. The offenses they play in 2017 are tougher, and I have no idea how good the defense will be. The secondary was good last year--I have doubts they will be as good this year. On the other hand the line could be quite a bit better. Or not. Who knows? And Jaylon Smith is as much of a wildcard as there can be.
  • NY Giants will hold Dak to 51% passing in two games, like they did in 2016 - Don't agree. Dak will be better than that.
  • Cole Beasley will have more games with double-digit targets than Jason Witten (in 2016, Cole had one game and Witten had three with double-digit targets... Dez had five) - Agree. Last year was a noticeable dropoff for Witten. He was actually bad the first few games, and in my opinion, a middle of the pack starting TE the rest. I am concerned about his declining physical skills. Don't know if this is the year he hits the wall or not.
  • Zeke will have 6 or more games with 130+ rushing yards (he had five in 2016) - No opinion. It all depends on the OL.
  • Anthony Brown will have more passes defended than Scandrick (they both had 8 in 2016) - Agree. I am not convinced Scandrick will be on the team this year.
  • Collins gets six sacks this season (five in 2016) - Agree, and don't think it's impossible he can get 8 or 9. If he can improve his run defense, he could play at a Pro Bowl level. But he really needs to improve his run defense, whatever happens with his sacks.
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 19 points per game - Don't agree. The offenses they are playing against are just too good.

Here is my bonus: Tom Brady never wins another Super Bowl as a starting QB. And Super Bonus: This is Brady's last year as starting QB at NE. I think his skills are starting to decline, and the supporting cast in NE played a bigger role in this Super Bowl than in prior years. And yes, I have some awareness about his stats last year.

haleyrules

Reaction score
On Cowboys Break, Broaddus had a series of questions to predict how you think next year will go. You either "buy" stock in a prediction (agree), or "sell" (disagree). Some of my answers differed from the other hosts' responses, so I'm curious what y'all think.

BUY OR SELL:

lol. Can l rent until after game 8?? wth. Who knows!

Verdict

Reaction score

BUY OR SELL:

1. Sell. They may be better than last year and it not show up on the stat sheet. Too optimistic to predict we will do that agin. But we should be top 5.

2. Buy. This offense will be better than last year and Dak will pass the ball better. This defense will be better overall. That will include the pass defense, even playing lots of young players. If Marinelli can't do better than that he needs to go.

3. Buy. This one is a bit closer of a call. We have the ability to be top 5, but if we are winning games by a significant margin, then we may get conservative at the ends of games which could cost us that too 5 ranking. If Dak or Zeke get hurt I would SELL.

4. Buy. I think this defense is going to be a lot better than anyone expects it to be.

5. Sell. I think Dak will struggle against the Giants this year, but will be better than he was last year. I think Switzer will be the Giant killer. He was drafted to help Dak defeat defenses which stack the box.

6. Buy. Great question. This one is close. I went buy because I think Beasley will have a career year. Witten will eventually get injured and will concede some of his snaps this year. He isn't very effective anymore and even the blind Cowboys staff will eventually have to accept that he isn't a great player anymore.

7.Buy. Barring injury Zeke will gain more yards than he did last year unless we are in lots of blowouts.

8. Buy. Brown is an emerging talent. Scandrick is likely to get injured again as well.

9. Buy. Collins is going to have a better year because the talent around him is much better.

10. Sell. In a statistical outlier teams are going to have to score more points on us to keep up with with this offense. The margin of win should be greater this year even though we may give up a few more meaningless points.

Bonus: I am going to go WAY out on a limb here and say Jeff Heath. I think his interception total will be better than anyone thinks it will be and he will be in the pro bowl discussion based on that fact. Yeah that's way out there. I realize that, but things never really play out like you expect them to play out.

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score
BUY OR SELL:

• Sell, they were first, because the pass defense was bad. Also I believe we had the fewest rushing attempts against us, so that helped keeping that number down.
  • Now that doesn't mean we wil drop out of the top 10, but probably not 1st again.
  • Buy, they can only get better
  • Buy, They can only get better, even with teams focusing on them more as they know more what to expect
  • Buy, this too can only get better, but I don't see a lot of improvement, but even if just to 35% will be good
  • Sell, they will be lucky to keep him under 60% this year
  • Sell, you don't take that many targets away from Witten, and now there will be Switzer involved, and Dez will get more targets also
  • Buy, though this is a tough one, teams will be prepared, but so will we. However Zeke has that year of experience, and take away his 1st 2 games, he won't have those this year
  • But if he does get over 5, it will only be 6 or 7
  • Buy, as I think Brown will get more targets at him then Scandrick. It's just a numbers game on this
  • Buy, yes, he gets more than 5, possibly 8 to 10
  • Buy, but not by much, but even a 2 point improvement will be good. If you buy the run and pass defense will be better, this one better be better...LOL...

BONUS: Which player will be primed for their first Pro Bowl this year (they ended up discussing if Collins could make it)?
Yes, Collins is a good choice here

Here is a buy or sell....Dak will have more passing yards this year, I think he had 3667 last year?

Buy. Dak will be significantly better in passing yards this year.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score

BUY OR SELL:

• Cowboys run defense finishes first in the NFL (they were first in 2016... 83.5 yards per game) - SELL
  • Cowboys finish better than 23rd in the NFL in passing yards per game - BUY
  • Cowboys will be Top 5 in scoring offense (they were 5th in 2016... another random note, they were apparently 18th in field goal percentage) - BUY
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 38% on third down (they held them to 39% in 2016) - BUY
  • NY Giants will hold Dak to 51% passing in two games, like they did in 2016 - SELL
  • Cole Beasley will have more games with double-digit targets than Jason Witten (in 2016, Cole had one game and Witten had three with double-digit targets... Dez had five) - BUY
  • Zeke will have 6 or more games with 130+ rushing yards (he had five in 2016) - SELL, I will guess that Zeke will have 2 games over 200+ though.
  • Anthony Brown will have more passes defended than Scandrick (they both had 8 in 2016) - BUY
  • Collins gets six sacks this season (five in 2016) - BUY
  • Cowboys hold opponents under 19 points per game - BUY

BONUS: Which player will be primed for their first Pro Bowl this year -
My first inclination is Maliek Collins. I'll go out of the box instead and say Jaylon Smith. I thing he is going to be a game changer the minute he touches the field. I really think they both might go.