C. Henry to Use Breathalizer to Start Car

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bengals' Henry must use breathalyzer

BY BARRETT J. BRUNSMAN | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

BATAVIA
– BATAVIA – Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry will have to blow into a breathalyzer before he can start his car, a Clermont County Municipal Court judge ruled Tuesday.

In a pretrial hearing that stemmed from Henry’s DUI arrest June 3 on Interstate 275 in Union Township, Judge Victor M. Haddad granted the football player’s request that he be allowed back behind the wheel – so long as Henry has an ignition interlock system on whatever car he drives.
Henry’s attorney, Edward C. Perry, reiterated Henry’s not-guilty plea, and Perry requested that Henry be allowed to drive to and from his job with the Bengals, regardless of the time or day.

Assistant Prosecutor Carol Rowe said she didn’t object as long as the car had an interlock system.

Henry stood before the judge during the 3-minute appearance, but he said nothing.

Wearing black pants and a white short-sleeved shirt that revealed tattoos on both arms, Henry didn’t answer questions after the hearing. His attorney also declined comment.

A Florence resident, Henry was driving a 1984 passenger car 82 miles an hour in an area where the speed limit is 65 mph, according to a report by Ohio State Highway Patrol Trooper Michael Shimko.

Henry, 23, was taken to the Milford Police Department, where he voluntarily took a breath test. His blood-alcohol level registered .092 percent, police said. Henry’s driver’s license was suspended automatically because he tested above Ohio’s legal limit of .08.

Perry noted Tuesday that Henry had been polite and cooperative with police, and that Henry had auto insurance.

Before allowing Henry to drive, Haddad noted that Henry had no record of previous convictions or stops for driving under the influence of alcohol. Perry said that was his understanding.

The judge imposed no restrictions on when or where Henry is allowed to drive, but Haddad instructed Henry to meet with a court compliance officer to discuss the options and costs of an interlock system for his car, as well as a letter granting permission to drive.

Such a system won’t allow a car to start until after someone breathes into the device to ensure he hasn’t been drinking.

Some interlock systems can be programmed to randomly monitor somebody behind the wheel of a moving car by beeping until the driver blows into a hand-held tube.

If the driver tests positive or fails to respond, the horn honks repeatedly while the car’s lights flash.

Henry might have to pay an installation charge and monthly service fees, which can vary according to the interlock vendor.

Perry asked for at least a month to prepare for Henry’s next court appearance in Clermont County, which was scheduled for July 26 before Haddad.

Henry, who is in his second season with the Bengals, pleaded not guilty June 15 to providing alcohol to three underage women at a Covington hotel in April. A pretrial hearing is set for June 29.

Kenton District Judge Douglas J. Grothaus ordered Henry to not drink any alcohol as a condition of his bond in that case.

Henry also faces a charge of carrying a concealed firearm in Florida, stemming from a Jan. 28 arrest.

In December, Henry was charged with marijuana possession in Covington. He pleaded guilty to that. In a plea agreement, he avoided jail time by entering a drug rehabilitation program.

E-mail bbrunsman@enquirer.com

parchy

Reaction score
That... is one of the coolest things I've ever heard. Beats the hell out of my dad's push button starter.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
parchy said:
That... is one of the coolest things I've ever heard. Beats the hell out of my dad's push button starter.
So basically does he just have to be sober enough to know which of his friends isn't too drunk to start his car?

Why do I have a feeling this is going to fail this kid?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I heard stories about someone w/ an Interlock having his buddy blow into it after he got smashed, I doubt the veracity of said story, since I believe that they callobrate (SP) your breath

parchy

Reaction score
Hostile said:
So basically does he just have to be sober enough to know which of his friends isn't too drunk to start his car?

Why do I have a feeling this is going to fail this kid?

Or just pull somebody off the street.

"Hey kid, I'll give you half of my last week's paycheck..."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
parchy said:
Or just pull somebody off the street.

"Hey kid, I'll give you half of my last week's paycheck..."
His luck he'd choose the town drunk.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I heard stories about someone w/ an Interlock having his buddy blow into it after he got smashed, I doubt the veracity of said story, since I believe that they callobrate (SP) your breath

I have seen it done.
Anyone can blow in it.

Sad when it goes that far and still doesn't help.

DWI's are ridiculously expensive and end in incarceration(as I think they should).
I'd make a 2 year probation at least with rehab and AA mandatory for the first offense.
It is a horrible thing to suffer from alcoholism but suffering from stupidity and driving drunk is on the individuals not the disease.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Your breath changes from instance to instance depending on what you eat or if you had a cigar (or a joint) or are on some sort of medication (legal or otherwise). These analysis units are not mass spectrometers with DNA analysis units built in, they just check for alcohol level. These units can be fooled rather easily as was proven by my ex-son-in-law (heavy on the Ex).

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

Probably true. They had this "device" in New Mexico for awhile. There's ways around it. People were having friends start their vehicles for them. I don't think they use it anymore.

TEK2000

Reaction score
They install those in the shop next to my work... its really pathetic.

They install several a day!! There are enough drunk drivers out there that a business can operate entirely off of installing a drunk driving prevention device.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell said:
DWI's are ridiculously expensive and end in incarceration(as I think they should).
I'd make a 2 year probation at least with rehab and AA mandatory for the first offense.
It is a horrible thing to suffer from alcoholism but suffering from stupidity and driving drunk is on the individuals not the disease.

I respectfully disagree, I know driving drunk is horrible, esp. when you hurt someone because of it, or God forbid, kill someone, but did you know that 80% of 1st time, DUI offenders, have driven drunk before getting nailed for it, between 10 and something like 2,000 times? I think the punishments now are a little too harsh as it is, in Maryland it's up to 1 year and/or a $1000 dollar fine, plus license suspension, probation/parole and alcohol and drug classes for 26 weeks, 40 dollars a pop, for a 1st time offender! me, and still people are driving drunk, it's not fixing the problem

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Your breath changes from instance to instance depending on what you eat or if you had a cigar (or a joint) or are on some sort of medication (legal or otherwise). These analysis units are not mass spectrometers with DNA analysis units built in, they just check for alcohol level. These units can be fooled rather easily as was proven by my ex-son-in-law (heavy on the Ex).

yeah, that would be a little expensive for the law to get DNA samples hooked into them

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
yeah, that would be a little expensive for the law to get DNA samples hooked into them
The DNA analysis unit comment was a bit of hyperbole on my part to make my point. But really, short of that you're not going to be able to ensure that the person breathing in the tube is the person who is supposed to be driving the vehicle and it would (as you say) be very cost prohibitive.

The plan assumes that a sober person will not breathe into the tube for an obviously impaired driver. But the law underestimates the power of cash and/or stupidity.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
But the law underestimates the power of cash and/or stupidity.

very true, but they have other ways to get you...

your pocket

you'd have to be truly stupid to drive drunk again after getting nailed for it once, but sad to say, some people never learn their lesson, not I though

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
A guy like this probably blows a minimum of $500 everytime he goes out for night on the town after he foots the bill for his pose and hangers on, but he won't splurge $15 bucks for a taxi ride. Then again its hard to show off your custom Escalade and your 22 inch rims when its left parked in valet. Its all about priorities.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
i think he should get it installed and after this upcoming season serve some time in jail ,if he doesn't for the firearm..wait he wont thanks to st, but regardless jail time should be a given, he should also have to sit through the M.A.D.D. stores about how there sons husbands wifes daughters were killed by a drunk driver.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Funny, but I was talking to a guy who sells these things yesterday. They are expensive to install on your car and rent. About $100 a month, plus $100 to install.