Call of the Game: Going for it on 4th and 3

TonyS

Reaction score
When Chicago called the timeout, I was hoping Romo would talk some sense into Redball and Wade. Turns out he did.

That play showed the Bears that we were going to take it to their "highly rated" defense all night... and we did. Great call.

Greatest line of the night was Al Michaels' Parcells/Romo story....with Parcells telling Romo..."Never let good enough be good enough." Sour puss could come up with some real humdingers. Almost teared up on that one.

newlander

Reaction score
Man.........true dat. I bet big bill wishes he would have stuck around one more year. He said we were close after the seattle loss. Looks like he was right. BTW: looks like Wade has one thing in common with Jimmy: as George Seifert once famously said: " I guess they are BRASS"

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
According to the Ticket, Wade asked Red... "do we have a play to pick this up?" Red said "yes" and the rest is history!

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
http://i45.***BLOCKED***/albums/f78/dantanna86/pig.jpg

RomoIsBack

Reaction score
TonyS;1665603 said:
When Chicago called the timeout, I was hoping Romo would talk some sense into Redball and Wade. Turns out he did.

That play showed the Bears that we were going to take it to their "highly rated" defense all night... and we did. Great call.

Greatest line of the night was Al Michaels' Parcells/Romo story....with Parcells telling Romo..."Never let good enough be good enough." Sour puss could come up with some real humdingers. Almost teared up on that one.

i cant belive romo want it that

zeromaster

Reaction score
Dan, that picture is "just not right"... :rolleyes:
meaneyk_m3.jpg

ddh33

Reaction score
That's three times in three games that Wade, the coaches on this staff, and the players have made a huge conversion on fourth down. I love that confidence!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Statistical analyses show that teams should go for it on fourth down much more often than they do. Coaches probably don't want to risk not picking it up and being criticized for taking the chance, but even if it fails a few times, teams would come out better in the long run for taking more chances.

On that particular call, I was surprised when we sent the punt team in the first time. Against a team with a defense like that and an offense like that, it was a small risk with potentially a huge reward.

Pabst

Reaction score
Interesting in that, if i recall correctly, Dallas did not get any points off that drive.

It did, however, set the tone for the rest of the night.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pabst;1665859 said:
Interesting in that, if i recall correctly, Dallas did not get any points off that drive.

Yes, and they didn't get any points because they declined to go for it on fourth-and-(not so) short.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
newlander;1665641 said:
Man.........true dat. I bet big bill wishes he would have stuck around one more year. He said we were close after the seattle loss. Looks like he was right. BTW: looks like Wade has one thing in common with Jimmy: as George Seifert once famously said: " I guess they are BRASS"

We probably wouldn't be scoring like this under BP. He would be restricting the play calling and keeping it more conservative. Plus the way BP never wanted to praise a player, I don't think they would play for him the way, they're playing for Wade. Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Danny White;1665656 said:
According to the Ticket, Wade asked Red... "do we have a play to pick this up?" Red said "yes" and the rest is history!
A far cry from Cosslett telling Campo we don't have a play for 4th and 1, huh?
:lmao2:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TonyS;1665603 said:

I didn't get to hear that story b/c I blacked out and hit my head on a coffee table when the story started 'Parcells was in this hot tub....'

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I really still don't agree with the call, glad it worked out but I'm glad it worked.

Reason being, it was a completely defensive game until that point, I thought we would have been better off at the time playing the field position game and not trying to force the issue against thiat defense.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
a punt inside the other team's 40 is a bad as a turnover. most of the time the punt goes into the endzone for a net of less than 20 yds. not worth just giving up on a potential scoring drive to me.

BBQ101

Reaction score
Future 585;1665930 said:
I really still don't agree with the call, glad it worked out but I'm glad it worked.

Reason being, it was a completely defensive game until that point, I thought we would have been better off at the time playing the field position game and not trying to force the issue against thiat defense.

Parcells would have loved you...

Let's get real though. The Cowboys had started moving the ball. You would have been right, however, the bears called a timeout. In that timeout, Romo was able to explaind that he was getting in a rythym, and Red Ball explaine "we can get the three yards".

Me, I'm glad you were wrong. There will come a point this season when we make the dicey call to go for it on 4th and "short". It will cost us. We all need to point to this thread when it does.

BBQ

BBQ101

Reaction score
bkight13@hotmail.com;1666004 said:
a punt inside the other team's 40 is a bad as a turnover. most of the time the punt goes into the endzone for a net of less than 20 yds. not worth just giving up on a potential scoring drive to me.

Playing devil's advocate here, as I really agree with the call to go for it, and was tellng my wife we should have before the time out, but there is one thing you are fogetting....

We have a probowl punter, and its not just because he can boom 55 yarders on queue. He knows how to pin a team.

BBQ

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Danny White;1665656 said:

We've come a long way since the "I don't have a play to get us a yard on 4th down" back in Campo's reign of error.