CFZ Can Jerry please stop his love affair with injured linebackers?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Why do I single out Jerry? Because he’s always been cheap with linebackers. Not until Dexter Coakley did he even bother re-signing one. And the amount of pre-injured linebackers we sign has wildcatter Jerry written all over it. The entire draft staff admits in interviews that they like to take chances on players rounds 2-4! Don’t we want a unit like the Niners field at LB?

Can we all agree that a linebacker is the most punishing physical position on the defense? It’s the running back of the defense. if you have a condition already, it WILL get exposed in the NFL.
  • Sean Lee
  • Jaylon Smith
  • Damone Clark
  • LVE
  • and so on….
All guys who dropped in the draft because of physical concerns. How did they work out? That’s a lot of fairly high picks! For the ones that lasted more than a few seasons, how many times did our defense drop a notch as we waited for them to get healthy again? The MLB is often the QB of the defense. Wouldn’t it be nice to have continuity?

And now we lost the sweepstakes on ANOTHER injured LB, Shaq Leonard.

SOLUTION?
  • Get some physical ‘steady eddies’ like Parcells or Jimmy drafted. Brady James, Kevin Burnett, Dixon Edwards, Darrin Smith, etc… don’t have to be 3-4 LBs, just no FRAGILE labels.
  • If we’re going to gamble, let’s gamble on a small baller who can handle the punishment. Dexter Coakleys, Zach Thomas, London Fletchers of the world.
  • Parsons was not drafted to be what he is right now. But he’s too good a pass rusher Not to be rotating on that defensive line, So appreciate the high pick we spent on him, but realize you never filled the LB role you had him pegged for at such a high pick.
This LB issue is magnified, because we sometimes struggle to find great DTs and Safeties are another weak position we go too cheap on lately and are paying for it, but that’s another thread.

Judgment day may be coming soon. Good offensive lines and offenses can still bully this team and there are plenty on the upcoming schedule to test us.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ehh I disagree. I don't mind injured players or linebackers. Just know when to take the risk. Damone Clark I'm fine with. I think he's a solid player and will only get better. But he wasn't a 2nd round pick. Using 4th or 5th rounders on injured linebackers who have high ceilings I'm fine with. Using 2nd rounders is no bueno for me. Especially not 1st rounders. I'd argue ultimately we got our value for LVE. Personally I wouldn't have drafted a guy with neck issues but they got enough years out of a guy who was the 19th overall pick. I'd say they also got solid play for Sean Lee....Jaylon....clear mistake. Bruce Carter to a lesser extent too.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Pretty sure Sean Lee would have a shot at that ROH if he could have stayed healthy. Another guy that was identified pre-draft as injury concerns and dropped because of it.
He did but Sean Lee was different though. His body broke down on him. It wasn't one injury from college that got him. I'd draft Sean Lee in the 2nd round with his injury history any time.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Didn't Kevin Burnett come into the League off of a torn ACL? Or am I misremembering?
Don’t know… Could have missed one. And it can work out sometimes, but more often it doesn’t at this position because of the punishment.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Did overshown have an injury history in Texas if not then we can't mention him yet, but if next year he misses games then eyebrows can be raised

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
He did but Sean Lee was different though. His body broke down on him. It wasn't one injury from college that got him. I'd draft Sean Lee in the 2nd round with his injury history any time.
It’s the Tyron Smith load management question. How good before it’s not worth it.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Did overshown have an injury history in Texas if not then we can't mention him yet, but if next year he misses games then eyebrows can be raised
Yes, he missed games every year due to injuries. Fragile label and dropped in draft.

shabazz

Reaction score
Overshown another guy with injury concerns in college that we had in the plans as if he was going to stay healthy.
Oh,I didn't know he had Injuries in college. I did hear that his style was reckless and aggressive but didn't know about the Injuries.

Do you know if the ACL was also injured in college?

Sydla

Reaction score
Ehh I disagree. I don't mind injured players or linebackers. Just know when to take the risk. Damone Clark I'm fine with. I think he's a solid player and will only get better. But he wasn't a 2nd round pick. Using 4th or 5th rounders on injured linebackers who have high ceilings I'm fine with. Using 2nd rounders is no bueno for me. Especially not 1st rounders. I'd argue ultimately we got our value for LVE. Personally I wouldn't have drafted a guy with neck issues but they got enough years out of a guy who was the 19th overall pick. I'd say they also got solid play for Sean Lee....Jaylon....clear mistake. Bruce Carter to a lesser extent too.
Plus was a later round pick so taking a flier on an uber talented kid that is injured is worth the risk to me. I'll take that risk all day long.

The Jaylon Smith one was the real risk. Using a premium pick on a kid coming off a catastrophic knee injury was an unnecessary risk.

Aven8

Reaction score
Should have went after Roquan last year. He’s almost single handily turned around Balty’s D

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Oh,I didn't know he had Injuries in college. I did hear that his style was reckless and aggressive but didn't know about the Injuries.

Do you know if the ACL was also injured in college?
Don’t believe it’s related but not sure. More just a guy who balled when healthy but something always taking him out each year. I only know because Imwent back to his scouting profiles when he got hurt. I’m sure there’s enough Longhorn fans here to provide more detail.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Never heard about that but even then my problem has always been where you draft these guys. It become a point when its worth the risk. I don't think the 1st or 2nd is that though.
Good point. Wouldn’t mind any gamble after the 5th, but 2nd way too high. And like I put in original post, you’re just putting money on stupid odds if gambling on health at a position like LB.