Twitter: Can keep 6 vets on the PS this year

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind with all our cuts. Anyone veteran we cut is still eligible to come back to the PS, though we can only have a max of 6.
Practice squads will increase to 16 players; 6 of those players can have unlimited number of accrued seasons.​

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That's going to make things interesting. Do you cut a vet in the hopes of putting him on the PS? Seems pretty risky. Even more risky than cutting a unproven rook.

Just being able to put vets on the PS is a big change, regardless of the timing of the cuts.

Then you can keep around reserve guys who don't play special teams. Guys you want to fill in for snaps in case a starter is going to miss a full game.

Last year, instead of keeping Smith on the 53 but inactive, we could have kept him on the PS to call up in case needed.

Other teams have to put him on their 53 to take him now. We could take him to our PS and not have to use a roster spot this year. Same with Redmond. As long as we're willing to risk these "reserve starters" to being poached by other teams, we don't have to use active roster spots for them anymore.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Now this may explain a guy like Redmond.

They allowed him to find out what's out there, and if theres nothing more attractive, they bring him back in on the PS.

I think teams ought to have 4 QBS around no matter what this season due to circumstance, but that's just me. We really have no idea what's gonna happen...and they should be canceling games because teams dont have a healthy QB to suit up.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Now this may explain a guy like Redmond.

They allowed him to find out what's out there, and if theres nothing more attractive, they bring him back in on the PS.

I think teams ought to have 4 QBS around no matter what this season due to circumstance, but that's just me. We really have no idea what's gonna happen...and they should be canceling games because teams dont have a healthy QB to suit up.

That's a good point in favor of keeping DiNucci on the roster.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Meh not stashing a vet on the ps. At that point t don't think they worth it. I'll stash more rookies or 2nd year players.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I wonder:
Can players just *decline* to come back to the PS, and still be free to go to a PS elsewhere?
Or do we have those rights if we want them, and other teams have to offer an active roster spot?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Meh not stashing a vet on the ps. At that point t don't think they worth it. I'll stash more rookies or 2nd year players.

Redmond is more than worth it. Vets are more than worth it.

Instead of having to use an active roster spot, and give them veteran minimum, you get veteran reserves for PS squad price. It's quite the deal.

On the flip side, rookies around the league didn't get the usual offseason training. They're less prepared for the season than usual, worth less than usual.

I'd sign the max 6 vets if I can find them. It's not to stash them for next year, it's to have more depth this year.

lostar2009

Reaction score

Instead of having to use an active roster spot, and give them veteran minimum, you get veteran reserves for PS squad price. It's quite the deal.

On the flip side, rookies around the league didn't get the usual offseason training. They're less prepared for the season than usual, worth less than usual.

I'd sign the max 6 vets if I can find them. It's not to stash them for next year, it's to have more depth this year.

The vet can be used at a later time but i don't think their skills would help the team. And if they any good another team will just sign them. I don't recall too many players that was stash 2-3 years on the PS and turn out to be any good.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They can be poached but I think it’s up to the player to go or not. Is this right. I know the rookies will want to go in order to be playing in hopes of getting a contract. Vets are accruing a season and getting paid more so teams will have to offer more in order to get them.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:hammer:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder:
Can players just *decline* to come back to the PS, and still be free to go to a PS elsewhere?
Or do we have those rights if we want them, and other teams have to offer an active roster spot?

Once they clear waivers, they are free to sign anywhere. They can refuse to sign with any team, including the one they were just released from.
This applies to the active roster or PS.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The vet can be used at a later time but i don't think their skills would help the team. And if they any good another team will just sign them. I don't recall too many players that was stash 2-3 years on the PS and turn out to be any good.

PS players usually aren't very helpful. But this isn't a usual time. This time we get to keep 6 vested vets on the PS. Particularly for guys who don't play ST, they may not be worth a roster spot as a backup, while more than worth a spot on the PS as a backup.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Once they clear waivers, they are free to sign anywhere. They can refuse to sign with any team, including the one they were just released from.
This applies to the active roster or PS.

That's odd. If teams have no rights, I'd expect more players would want to bounce to a new team that hadn't already had them on the team and said "we don't want you on the roster". Move on to a new team on a try before you buy, and they may like you more.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
That's odd. If teams have no rights, I'd expect more players would want to bounce to a new team that hadn't already had them on the team and said "we don't want you on the roster". Move on to a new team on a try before you buy, and they may like you more.

It would seem rather dumb to go to a new team where you'd have less of a shot because you need to learn their playbook and will be far down the for a roster call up.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

then is comes down to ... do you really want to play football, anywhere, or sit on the couch, or go get a job doing whatever. Even if you have a degree, can you get a job in that field.
Many players will be happy to go back on the PS. I am sure the team tells them as being released, we would love to have you back on the PS. As many players get caught up in a numbers game.

how many people get a chance to make more money On a PS with a future at a regular roster spot, then Slinging burgers or sitting at a desk. Many may have a degree, but what in, and it still does not pay as well.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It would seem rather dumb to go to a new team where you'd have less of a shot because you need to learn their playbook and will be far down the for a roster call up.

You'd have to learn the playbook, but at least it wouldn't be on a team that has *already* concluded you're not worth a roster spot. A new team may like you more.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
then is comes down to ... do you really want to play football, anywhere, or sit on the couch, or go get a job doing whatever. Even if you have a degree, can you get a job in that field.
Many players will be happy to go back on the PS. I am sure the team tells them as being released, we would love to have you back on the PS. As many players get caught up in a numbers game.

how many people get a chance to make more money On a PS with a future at a regular roster spot, then Slinging burgers or sitting at a desk. Many may have a degree, but what in, and it still does not pay as well.

But the alternative I'm suggesting isn't not going on a PS, but going on one for a team that already hasn't decided you're not worth a roster spot, *after* seeing you on their team for a while. Maybe a new team likes you better.