Can one of the "stat" guys wax about our running prowess?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
All year...despite what the rankings say...I have said we cannot run the ball and that we are asking Romo to make too many plays...can the "stats" guys remind me once again how great of a running team we our because of our rankings.

And Jerry Jones cannot re-sign JuJo if we are not going to run the ball. Jerry Jones cannot give Marion Barber a big time contract if we are not going to run the ball. We cannot pay Andre Gurode, Leonard Davis, Marc Columbo, and Flozell Adams premium money if we are not or cannot run the football. Why would we draft a RB if we cannot or will not run the football. This has been brewing all year...but stats guys have been glossing it over with stats...in spite of what anybody with an eye for the game could see

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It wasn't that we couldn't run the ball today. It's that we didn't.

Barber had 4.5 YPC.

D1G

Reaction score
I agree. been saying the same thing all year.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
bbailey423;1837685 said:
All year...despite what the rankings say...I have said we cannot run the ball and that we are asking Romo to make too many plays...can the "stats" guys remind me once again how great of a running team we our because of our rankings.

And Jerry Jones cannot re-sign JuJo if we are not going to run the ball. Jerry Jones cannot give Marion Barber a big time contract if we are not going to run the ball. We cannot pay Andre Gurode, Leonard Davis, Marc Columbo, and Flozell Adams premium money if we are not or cannot run the football. Why would we draft a RB if we cannot or will not run the football. This has been brewing all year...but stats guys have been glossing it over with stats...in spite of what anybody with an eye for the game could see

Look at the play-by-play from the beginning of the year....we rarely ran the ball until we had a sizeable lead and THEN it was run, run, run...

If anybody was being honest with themselves they could see that we are a pass first and run only as a last resort and sometimes not at all...like today.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Horrible play calling. Giving up on the running game so early is very, very troubling.

khiladi

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1837724 said:
Horrible play calling. Giving up on the running game so early is very, very troubling.

We have been doing that all yeare, and it has come back to bite us in the butt. The Patriots also are pass happy, but they run a lot of quick slants and screens to keep the defense concerned enough not to simply rely on taking out Moss. That is why Wes Walker is killing everybody in sight. We, on the other hand, are content with simply trying to take shots downfield, and if nothing is there, run the checkdown to Marion Barber.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
khiladi;1837773 said:
We have been doing that all yeare, and it has come back to bite us in the butt. The Patriots also are pass happy, but they run a lot of quick slants and screens to keep the defense concerned enough not to simply rely on taking out Moss. That is why Wes Walker is killing everybody in sight. We, on the other hand, are content with simply trying to take shots downfield, and if nothing is there, run the checkdown to Marion Barber.

Look at what the Patriots did today...they concentrated on running the ball because they know that it is a necessity (more than likely) in the playoffs.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
theogt;1837707 said:
It wasn't that we couldn't run the ball today. It's that we didn't.

Barber had 4.5 YPC.
I knew I could get a stat guy to step into the spotlight and remind us that we CAN run the ball when we want to...I am not buying it...we cannot run the football...and I do not care what the stats say

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Wolfpack;1837792 said:
Barber 7 for 32 4.6 Ave
JJ 7 for 5 0.7 Ave
I can't, for the life of me, figure out why Julius Jones is still playing football for us.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbailey423;1837868 said:
I knew I could get a stat guy to step into the spotlight and remind us that we CAN run the ball when we want to...I am not buying it...we cannot run the football...and I do not care what the stats say
Well, we did run the football well with Barber today. Are you disputing that?

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
I apologize for posting this in another thread, but this has been bugging me as well...

Jason Garret displayed a lack of poise in this game. His inexperience really showed.

Parcells for all his faults knew how important running the ball is.

I know the league has changed and its more wide open then ever but my friends and i have been bemoaning a lack of commitment to the running game for a long time.

We simply do not run well, we don't run block well, and we don't run well early in games.

Our statistics are, i feel, misleading, its looks like we run well but i don't believe we do.

Tony Romo is working on 18 or 19 starts, thereabouts. He is going to have stretches like this, we have to protect him by giving him more options.

See any Philly players buying a play fake in this game?

Tough loss. Have to win the last two now. Would have had essentially a 3 week break by winning today and at Carolina.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
theogt;1837886 said:
Well, we did run the football well with Barber today. Are you disputing that?

I will.

2 runs in the ENTIRE second half.

We didn't even TRY to run the ball and it was a close game yet we acted like we were down by 3 possessions.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Jimz31;1837906 said:
I will.

2 runs in the ENTIRE second half.

We didn't even TRY to run the ball and it was a close game yet we acted like we were down by 3 possessions.
You're not disputing what I said at all. You're just saying we didn't run enough, which I agree with.

khiladi

Reaction score
Barber should be getting at least 20 carries from now on, and JJ shuld just be sitting on the bench or cut. I don't care if Barber averages 3.5 yards a carry while running 20 plus times. This is getting ridiculously absurd.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
theogt;1837917 said:
You're not disputing what I said at all. You're just saying we didn't run enough, which I agree with.

Didnt run Barber enough.

mitchell2254

Reaction score
Garrett is Martz 2.0. I mean lets face it people. He has no intent on running the ball unless it's an absolute necessity.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
mitchell2254;1837984 said:
Garrett is Martz 2.0. I mean lets face it people. He has no intent on running the ball unless it's an absolute necessity.

Not even then....

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Wolfpack;1837978 said:
Didnt run Barber enough.
Bingo. I'd be surprised if Julius even gets a starting job next year in free agency.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Wolfpack;1837978 said:
Didnt run Barber enough.
we didn't run enough period....asking Romo to do way too much..especially since he was injured...we got the ball on our own 50 twice...and got ZERO points..that is just really bad