Can someone explain to me why we have so few penalties?

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
a team with the problems we've had in both pass rushing and pass protection, would have so few offensive holding and defensive offsides penalties.

I'm listening to an interview with Aikman on WIP, Friday before the Eagles game. He talked about the rivalry and the trouble they had blocking the Eagles his first few years. Week of 1991 second matchup with them (Kmart's punt return game) in philly. Aikman said Johnson's main theme all week was pass protection at all costs. He said he didn't care if we had a holding penalty on every fricking play...WE WERE GONNA PROTECT THE QB.

Would you believe in both the Eagles and Giants game this year we did not have a single holding penalty. How's that possible? We gave up what..12 sacks! PROBABLY 3 TIMES AS MANY HITS TO OUR QB. Here's my rule of thumb...for every sack or hit on the QB an offense should have a holding penalty. This OL of ours needs to get a little dirty. Maybe even a little nasty. I'm tired of screaming at all the holding penalties not called on our pass rushers. We need to understand that now days, you have to tackle someone to get called for holding and play accordingly.

Do we have even one defensive offsides call this year? I don't think so.
Interview with Haley that I'm sure many of you have seen. He explains that on his second quarter sack of Kelly (causing a fumble that J.Jones picks out of the air for a TD) he flat out guessed the snap count. He told a coach that Kelly was going on the same count everytime they went no huddle and that next time he was going on that count. " I might be offsides, but if I'm not, I'm gettin his ***!"
Maybe our boys need to try and jump a count every now and then. In my opinion, if you have a lot more sacks then defensive offsides penalties, maybe you need to take a few more chances.

jman

Reaction score
sonnyboy;1122519 said:
a team with the problems we've had in both pass rushing and pass protection, would have so few offensive holding and defensive offsides penalties.

I'm listening to an interview with Aikman on WIP, Friday before the Eagles game. He talked about the rivalry and the trouble they had blocking the Eagles his first few years. Week of 1991 second matchup with them (Kmart's punt return game) in philly. Aikman said Johnson's main theme all week was pass protection at all costs. He said he didn't care if we had a holding penalty on every fricking play...WE WERE GONNA PROTECT THE QB.

Would you believe in both the Eagles and Giants game this year we did not have a single holding penalty. How's that possible? We gave up what..12 sacks! PROBABLY 3 TIMES AS MANY HITS TO OUR QB. Here's my rule of thumb...for every sack or hit on the QB an offense should have a holding penalty. This OL of ours needs to get a little dirty. Maybe even a little nasty. I'm tired of screaming at all the holding penalties not called on our pass rushers. We need to understand that now days, you have to tackle someone to get called for holding and play accordingly.

Do we have even one defensive offsides call this year? I don't think so.
Interview with Haley that I'm sure many of you have seen. He explains that on his second quarter sack of Kelly (causing a fumble that J.Jones picks out of the air for a TD) he flat out guessed the snap count. He told a coach that Kelly was going on the same count everytime they went no huddle and that next time he was going on that count. " I might be offsides, but if I'm not, I'm gettin his ***!"
Maybe our boys need to try and jump a count every now and then. In my opinion, if you have a lot more sacks then defensive offsides penalties, maybe you need to take a few more chances.

Not to be a smatt-a** but when they blow by our oline so quickly, who has time to hold? You at least have to be able to slow them down, but when you wiff on the block there just aint anything to hold.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
sonnyboy;1122519 said:
Would you believe in both the Eagles and Giants game this year we did not have a single holding penalty. How's that possible? We gave up what..12 sacks!

Many, if not most, of the sacks we've allowed have been because someone wasn't blocked at all, not because one of our blockers got beat. And the few times when they've been beaten, probably most of those were coverage sacks when Bledsoe held the ball too long. So the blocking itself hasn't really been the problem, it's been making sure everyone gets blocked.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1122530 said:
Many, if not most, of the sacks we've allowed have been because someone wasn't blocked at all, not because one of our blockers got beat. And the few times when they've been beaten, probably most of those were coverage sacks when Bledsoe held the ball too long. So the blocking itself hasn't really been the problem, it's been making sure everyone gets blocked.

So would you pin this on
1. The backs (not getting the leaker),
2. The line (not spreadin for the leaker)
3. The QB (not knowing there was going to be a leaker)

Again, this is the sacks that let a guy run free.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1122530 said:
Adam, have you happened to identify any of the worst offenders? Or is the blame pretty equal across the board?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1122536 said:
Adam, have you happened to identify any of the worst offenders? Or is the blame pretty equal across the board?

my guess would be the worst offender is Marco Rivera

followed by Flozell, then Kosier, then Columbo, then Gurode, Gurode, from all that I'm reading from Yakuza's reports, has been our most consistent lineman

Kilyin

Reaction score
Sacks Allowed this season by OL according to Stats INC:

Flozell Adams: 4
Kyle Kosier: 1
Andre Gurode: 1
Marco Rivera: 1
Marc Colombo: 3.5

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AdamJT13;1122530 said:
Exactly what I've been saying .. It's rare that the line is getting beat when they get their hands on the defensive player. It's not just Columbo doing it either .. the entire line has been guilty of it at various times.

That, to me, points to coaching (Sporano) .. either he is not a very good coach or he's making the blocking schemes too complicated for the line to understand.

Of course some blame could go to Drew Bledsoe (no, not talking about lack of mobility) because the quarterback is responsible for calling blitz block adjustments.

That is precisely why the Cowboys have done a good job against teams that haven't blitzed and a poor job against teams that blitz often.

-Reality

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Kilyin;1122704 said:
Sacks Allowed this season by OL according to Stats INC

I've noticed that their numbers for sacks allowed usually are ballpark figures at best. They don't really try to figure out the blocking scheme; they just pin it on the nearest guy.

I haven't checked all of our sacks allowed yet, but I'm going to review all of them to figure out exactly what happened on each one. Anyone else is welcome to do the same so we can compare notes and come to some sort of consensus.

cowboyed

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1122530 said:

I agree in general with you sir. The only two lineman I have ever seen being physically manhandled this and last year were Petiti and Johnson. Not only are we missing assignments as you indicated, adamjt13, but in a number of instances we get outspeeded. Case in point is the left side of the line, particularly Adams and ocassionally with Rivera and Columbo.