Can the league be more consistent with holding?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'm sure most fans have noticed that sometimes the refs are sticklers with holding, but in other games, they let it slide a lot more. In in the beginning of a game, a lineman will see how much holding he can get away with. Then, if he got away with it, he'll keep holding all game long. There was plenty of un-flagged holding in the Super Bowl, but that's not the only game I've seen that in, not by a long shot. I'm not bellyaching about it, btw., because I only picked a team to root for, but it was in a half-assed way since my Cowboys weren't playing.
But I do wish the league would get consistent. Holding should be called if it happened in a way that could affect the outcome of the play. It should be consistent from game to game. The players should know exactly what to expect from the reffing. I don't even really know how referees prepare for the season. Do they have some kind of training camp just like players do? IMO the game would be at its best if the reffing were consistent.

ghst187

Reaction score
Or any rules really…PI, roughing the passer, wth is a catch….

csirl

Reaction score
Yes, officials have training camps. They watch loads of tapes of fouls/non fouls. Spend a lot of time on mechanics i.e. positioning on the field.

Sammy

Reaction score
I read that referees make over 200K per year for working preseason and regular season games. Playoffs and the superbowl pay extra. I can't think of any other profession other than sports where a part-time employee in that salary range would retain their job if they performed so badly.

Is the NFL still considering making them full time employees?

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Yes, officials have training camps. They watch loads of tapes of fouls/non fouls. Spend a lot of time on mechanics i.e. positioning on the field.
Wrong on the positioning.
The referee and others who judge holding just stand there.
Not moving to get better angles on the players.

csirl

Reaction score
Wrong on the positioning.
The referee and others who judge holding just stand there.
Not moving to get better angles on the players.
No official just stands there. They are all positioned very precisely to get the best view of whatever players/areas they are looking at. Mechanics is huge in officiating.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
No official just stands there. They are all positioned very precisely to get the best view of whatever players/areas they are looking at. Mechanics is huge in officiating.
Ahhhh... Wrong. Poor Mechanic's.
Watch most other movement sports.
Referees move their feet.