Can we afford to draft a 1st rounder who isn't playing much again?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Last year we experienced this with Mazi, the expectation is eventually that said rookie will be able to help you in that season. In some positions you may have a starter on your team, and this player will eventually be your starter, I understand this. But to have a guy that's a first rounder and he doesn't show you anything that says to the coaches "he needs to be out there" is troubling. I don't think we as a fan base want to see this happen again. What are your thoughts on this??

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
"all in" mentality and the bust factor of Mazi most likely means the Jones will be looking for instant gratification with this year's first round pick.

They have enjoyed all the compliments about how well they draft. They've also seen and heard the criticism over last year's draft class.

Expect an overreaction.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Teams that do little in FA are over reliant on nailing the draft. IMO JPJ or Barton seem like the most likely options in round 1. Both day 1 starters at a position of need. It‘s round 2 and 3 I worry about.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We’ve done pretty good in the 1st for the most part we just have some very questionable whiffs after that IMO.

I’m more worried about rounds 2-5.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
"all in" mentality and the bust factor of Mazi most likely means the Jones will be looking for instant gratification with this year's first round pick.

They have enjoyed all the compliments about how well they draft. They've also seen and heard the criticism over last year's draft class.

Expect an overreaction.
oh my I can see that

RS12

Reaction score

Can we afford to draft a 1st rounder who isn't playing much again?​

Nope. It would be hard to get less than they did from the last draft class though.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Most teams get a guy who doesn't play much the first year. Looking at the drafts there are only a handful of stars every year in the 1st round. I think they can afford someone who sits for a year or starts to play mid year. I'd like to avoid total busts or rookie injuries. Mazi so far looks like a total bust, I think he'll have to bulk up, learn to play, and be in there 75% of the snaps to turn it around.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No.
But do not draft any Michigan players.

Mazi, the current whipping boy from all the couch GM's. Give him a chance to see what Zimmer can do. Quinn wanted Mazi, then said lose weight. Miss used him.
Let us see any progress in year 2, before calling him a bust.

What they need is get a player, and yes, expect him to contribute heavily this season.
LB, DT, even a DE, and a S. As Kearse will not be back, and we need a true SS, that actually stays at SS.