Can we keep Julius and MBIII?

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Call me crazy, but I like the chemistry that has developed at the RB position. We know what he have in JuJo and MB3, so why not resign both of them and go after other needs in the draft and free agency? Mb3 is a shoo-in to be kept unless Jerry has lost his mind, but I believe that Julius should also be a priority. I realize it could be expensive, but I want Jerry to get it done because unless we somehow get a McFadden type, whoever we get in the draft may not be any better or even as good as Julius.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;1746819 said:
Call me crazy, but I like the chemistry that has developed at the RB position. We know what he have in JuJo and MB3, so why not resign both of them and go after other needs in the draft and free agency? Mb3 is a shoo-in to be kept unless Jerry has lost his mind, but I believe that Julius should also be a priority. I realize it could be expensive, but I want Jerry to get it done because unless we somehow get a McFadden type, whoever we get in the draft may not be any better or even as good as Julius.

I think if Dallas can upgrade this area we should.

superpunk

Reaction score
Let's say for a second that I was actually looking forward to 3-4 more years of Julius out there with no vision, patience, or balance. ;)

If we attempted to resign him, do you think Julius wants to stay in this situation? As a starting RB with everyone calling for the guy behind him? Don't you think he'd rather try to be THE guy?

Barber is a FA in a bit. Do we want to lose him because we extended Compu-Back and Barber wants to go somewhere and be THE guy?

I think that's important. Can't let one mediocre game sway opinion.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk;1746828 said:
Let's say for a second that I was actually looking forward to 3-4 more years of Julius out there with no vision, patience, or balance. ;)

If we attempted to resign him, do you think Julius wants to stay in this situation? As a starting RB with everyone calling for the guy behind him? Don't you think he'd rather try to be THE guy?

Barber is a FA in a bit. Do we want to lose him because we extended Compu-Back and Barber wants to go somewhere and be THE guy?

Great points, punk. I did consider that Julius may not be happy with this situation and some team might be willing to give him more than we are. I just feel like, if used properly, Julius can be a great weapon. That shotgun draw play was tailor-made for a guy like him. If we can get him in space and let him use his speed, he can be a great asset to our offense. The problem has been consistency or a lack thereof, so touche' to the "one mediocre game" comment.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I wouldn't be opposed to keeping both. It looks like we may start using both of them correctly, even switching them as the play dictates. It was much better than seeing them rotate on consecutive series, affecting the playcalling. They both seem to have embraced their roles, giving each other fives, patting on the back etc. We have a TEAM and not just a PLAYER.

Resigning both Jones and Barber and using draft picks at another position may be cheaper than putting all our eggs in one basket. Although Adrian Peterson looks very good right now, and McFadden may be even better.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;1746826 said:
I think if Dallas can upgrade this area we should.
We should upgrade if possible by all means. That's why I mentioned getting a McFadden-type as the exception to my scenario.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Do we need to decide before the draft?

I'd like to go into the draft and see what happens. I'd be happy with DMAC or Jonathan Stewart if we can snag them. If not, then I'd use the pick and keep Julius around one more year.

I would NOT sign Julius to a big contract before the draft which prevents us from taking a stud RB if we have the option.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
i would be open to the idea of resigning julius as long as we don't break the bank, especially if he expresses interest in continuing the current running back situation sharing time with barber.

Julius and Barber are a dangerous combo when used appropriately as we saw last night.

the likelihood of somehow being able to aquire a better back seems pretty slim at the moment with our 2 first rounders looking like they will be mid to late round picks. We could definately use a young talented reciever, a young corner, or DT if tank doesn't work out

if it ain't broke....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1746840 said:
I wouldn't be opposed to keeping both. It looks like we may start using both of them correctly, even switching them as the play dictates. It was much better than seeing them rotate on consecutive series, affecting the playcalling. They both seem to have embraced their roles, giving each other fives, patting on the back etc. We have a TEAM and not just a PLAYER.

Resigning both Jones and Barber and using draft picks at another position may be cheaper than putting all our eggs in one basket. Although Adrian Peterson looks very good right now, and McFadden may be even better.

Even if Dallas got a top RB in the draft I would still expect to keep Barber just as the Vikes have done with Taylor and the Chargers have done. I do think if we have a chance with a top RB in the draft and feel we can upgrade the position then you do it.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;1746819 said:

I won't call you crazy , I really like the combo and hope Dallas can hold the two together . While it's blatantly obvious how to utilize Barber's running skills , Jones hasn't been quite as transparent . I think J. Garrett is beginning to understand how to take advantage of Jones's open field ability on sweeps , pitch outs , and especially screens . I think the two are the perfect blend of speed and power , and that they will only get better as the season progresses . I'd love to see Dallas get them both locked up in multi year contracts , and look to instead replace Tyson Thompson with some type of little speedster that could come in on 3rd down . A kid like Anthony Alridge out of Houston who can flat out fly and is a great receiver out of the back field .

Doomsday101

Reaction score
koolaid;1746848 said:
i would be open to the idea of resigning julius as long as we don't break the bank, especially if he expresses interest in continuing the current running back situation sharing time with barber.

Julius and Barber are a dangerous combo when used appropriately as we saw last night.

the likelihood of somehow being able to aquire a better back seems pretty slim at the moment with our 2 first rounders looking like they will be mid to late round picks. We could definately use a young talented reciever, a young corner, or DT if tank doesn't work out

if it ain't broke....

If it ain't broke does not hold water. Dallas went to the SB with Newhouse and Preston Pearson but that did not stop us from upgrading to Dorrsett when the oppertunity came.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1746858 said:
If it ain't broke does not hold water. Dallas went to the SB with Newhouse and Preston Pearson but that did not stop us from upgrading to Dorrsett when the oppertunity came.

Agreed, however if something is broke, you may want to fix it instead.

If we could keep both Jones and Barber for a relatively cheap price, that would free us up to draft CB, WR, FS, etc. etc. and improve areas that we need to upgrade. If we could get McFadden, then I would drop Jones in a heartbeat. But anyone else, I would have to weigh slightly improving an already good runningback situation to dramatically improving the secondary and WR positions. If they are not named McFadden, they don't have the same impact in my eyes. McFadden is 2008s Adrian Peterson and anyone else in the first is 2008s Marshawn Lynch.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1746890 said:
Agreed, however if something is broke, you may want to fix it instead.

If we could keep both Jones and Barber for a relatively cheap price, that would free us up to draft CB, WR, FS, etc. etc. and improve areas that we need to upgrade. If we could get McFadden, then I would drop Jones in a heartbeat. But anyone else, I would have to weigh slightly improving an already good runningback situation to dramatically improving the secondary and WR positions. If they are not named McFadden, they don't have the same impact in my eyes. McFadden is 2008s Adrian Peterson and anyone else in the first is 2008s Marshawn Lynch.

I agree up to a point. Right now we don't have a clue as to where we will draft and who will be on the board when we draft. I do think there are some other top backs in this draft who I think is worth taking a look at but until we know more about where we draft and who is entering the draft all this talk is pretty meaningless. Right now I'm just enjoying the season

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1746894 said:
I agree up to a point. Right now we don't have a clue as to where we will draft and who will be on the board when we draft. I do think there are some other top backs in this draft who I think is worth taking a look at but until we know more about where we draft and who is entering the draft all this talk is pretty meaningless. Right now I'm just enjoying the season

Agreed. Shouldn't even talk about the offseason until after our Superbowl win.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;1746828 said:

lol superman dat hoe

took me a minute but the sig garnered a smile.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Can the BRowns go on a losing slide here?..And the other 0-1-2 3 teams with losing records step it up a notch?..

I sure hope so because Mcfadden would look really good in a Cowboys Uniform:D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cobra;1746847 said:
Do we need to decide before the draft?

I'd like to go into the draft and see what happens. I'd be happy with DMAC or Jonathan Stewart if we can snag them. If not, then I'd use the pick and keep Julius around one more year.

I would NOT sign Julius to a big contract before the draft which prevents us from taking a stud RB if we have the option.
Yes. Free agency starts before the draft. So decisions regarding both guys will have to be made long before the draft comes around.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1746957 said:
Yes. Free agency starts before the draft. So decisions regarding both guys will have to be made long before the draft comes around.

Lol, what if Julius signed a contract and was later traded during or before the draft.......

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dcowboysfan76;1746964 said:
Lol, what if Julius signed a contract and was later traded during or before the draft.......
I'd be cussing up a storm. Any signing bonus he gets would get accelerated onto the 2008 cap. No reason to take that kind of hit. If you're going to let him walk, then let him walk. They've let other players walk before. No reason not to do it with Julius.