Can we talk about pressures that lead to high QB salary in a free market?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'd just give dak a quarter of a billion and pick up final cuts from other teams. I think he's dak good. I think he wants lesser-quality players so he can showcase his skills. I hope Jerry is listening, and please don't cry again when dak chokes it up. dak is jason garrett good.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Its just weird that I see a lot of comments about how the QB prices are out of whack from a lot of different posters...

Yet no one wants to talk about if they were the GM in Atlanta or Minnesota right now and if Purdy was on the market to the highest bidder...what they would do?

Thats the gist of the QB market right there.

Every year there is multiple teams that need a QB to plug and play into a team that is all around good...or at least in the FO's view "a QB away".

In my opinion...every single one of the posters here not liking QB prices would be first in line to add to the problem if they were a GM on a decent team that needed a QB.

Brax

Reaction score
There needs to be a QB paying limit. Ever increasing QB prices are destroying today's game since teams can't afford to keep much of their developed talent.
Actually the easiest fix is to stop the bonus void years for contracts, the cap hit should be for the year played at the actual contract price. I’m shocked that rank and file players are allowing 3 or 4 players to take up so much cap dollars. Pay a guy 100 million for 4 years then the hit is 25 a year if incentives are in the contract then those need to be in the cap hit and if not made added to the teams cap the next season.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Actually the easiest fix is to stop the bonus void years for contracts, the cap hit should be for the year played at the actual contract price. I’m shocked that rank and file players are allowing 3 or 4 players to take up so much cap dollars. Pay a guy 100 million for 4 years then the hit is 25 a year if incentives are in the contract then those need to be in the cap hit and if not made added to the teams cap the next season.
Agree. The players are screwing themselves by allowing 3 or 4 players (specifically certain playing positions) to take up so much cap dollars every year. The players have no one to blame but themselves.

bandfan

Reaction score
That would lead to more money devoted to player salaries. Since the salary cap and it’s increases were bargained for in the CBA what are the players going to give the owners of equal value to get such a policy added to the bargaining agreement.
How many 10 yr veterans does anyone get to keep on their roster from day 1. I suspect not that many...and if you do have one it's either gonna be because you are already paying them a boatload or they have shown loyalty. I have my own reasons for supporting loyal employees.

bandfan

Reaction score
Would be curious to see where QB contracts would be today if the cap never existed. Can anyone say a billion?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If I were to become the GM of a team I would love to try a new system that went all in on the one read RPO QB. Every year you draft a new QB in the first 3 rounds who can play this style. It has been proven that QBs can have instant success with this type of system. Just make sure you draft another one every year so you can always have 3 of them on your roster competing like crazy for the starting spot. You will also need the back ups for injury and so that you can let one walk every year to free agency. System has many advantages:

1. Always have a QB on a cheap rookie deal. Resources can be allocated elsewhere.
2. Team offensive system is consistent and never changes from year to year.
3. QB roster depth and competition.
4. Team focus is on running the ball. Sustainable and repeatable offense. Think Cowboys 2016.
5. Every year you are drafting a QB which is the most valuable position. Maximizes value of draft picks.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Really wish there was a separate cap for FAs and your own drafted players. The way the cap is currently setup it punishes teams that draft really well by not allowing them to sign all their own drafted players.
The cap is what makes teams competitive. The cap is intended to make you decide which good players to keep and which to let go.

Creeper

Reaction score
Is a reasonable conversation too far against the narrative?
The QB market is already out of hand, but it will only get worse until the NFL addresses it somehow. I love the idea of getting some kind of CAP abatement for players who were drafted and remained with the same team for some period of years. There is no reason a player who plays 10 years for 1 team should not finish his career with that team. I hate to see players leave late in their careers only to re-sing with their original team just to retire with that team. It like to see teams get some kind of break against the CAP for players they drafted and kept for 8-10 years.

But the way the rules have changed in the league, it is pretty clear that throwing the football is favored which means QB get paid more money. And franchise QBs are hard to find so they are going to be expensive. What can the NFL do about this? If the exclude all or part of a QBs salary from the CAP then QB salaries will only explode even more. The players would never agree to a CAP on QB pay either. They can change the rules to equalize running the football with throwing it but other than legalizing holding on running plays what can they do really? They are never going to change the rules to lower scoring.

Something tells me if QB salaries keep going up, teams will do something on their own to figure it out. But I wonder, if QB salaries keep going up with it lower the contracts of other positions out of necessity?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No team has to pay these crazy amounts to any player. They can opt to trade or let the player walk. Every year we see veteran QB's go for cheap and perform about the same as high priced non elite players. If you are going to have a non elite QB it's better to have a cheap one so you can pay for multiple really good players. I look at it like Dak or Cousins + LB + DT with maybe enough left over for a veteran RB depending on the DT.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Its just weird that I see a lot of comments about how the QB prices are out of whack from a lot of different posters...

Yet no one wants to talk about if they were the GM in Atlanta or Minnesota right now and if Purdy was on the market to the highest bidder...what they would do?

Thats the gist of the QB market right there.

Every year there is multiple teams that need a QB to plug and play into a team that is all around good...or at least in the FO's view "a QB away".

In my opinion...every single one of the posters here not liking QB prices would be first in line to add to the problem if they were a GM on a decent team that needed a QB.
Simple supply and demand. We here every year about the amazing top 3 to 5 QB's in the draft.

How is that working out? If that was accurate, then QB pay would not be the way it is.

At the end of the day. Colleges are not properly preparing QB's to be ready for the NFL. Whether it is the type of offense they run, or just adjusting to the speed of the game.

When bad teams draft and start a QB, how can they expect them to be successful. Just look at Aikman's first year.

The QB position is the most dependent position in football. That is why some GM's are infatuated with athletic QB's. They think they can overcome all of their offensive deficiencies by running around.

In the NFL the ball traditionally needs to come out at 2.5 to 3.0 seconds. That does not require an athletic QB. That requires someone who can read a defense. Was Tom Brady athletic???

In addition, most teams do not want to invest like GB did in Jordan Love, when they have an Aaron Rodgers.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
IMO, teams are mistaking the importance of a QB for what you should pay for one. The percentage of cap going to QBs is getting crazy.

Water is very important. You die without it. But you pay little because there is plenty of supply.

But for fortunate circumstances for Purdy, he could still be warming the bench. Same for Dak, really. Downroster QBs don't get a lot of chances. I bet there are more starting quality QBs buried on rosters.

Draft more QBs. Carry more QBs on the roster. Play more. Run more. Develop more.

Big bonus in cheap QBs on the field is that you can run them. Huge added dimension to an offense.

Build the rest of the team. Conserve cap. When you hit on a good QB on a cheap contract, and the team is quality around him, then you spend free agent money to push the team over the top.

Who knows? Maybe that's the plan now. Lance would at least be a step in that direction.
I wrote about this the other day... I think we are going to see the pendulum start swinging away from the "all in at QB" approach. The Russ and Deshaun Watson acquisitions have failed horribly, some recent QB extensions like Daniel Jones and Murray have aged like milk, and and we've seen teams make deep playoff runs with guys like Goff and Baker Mayfield.

The next step will be teams beginning to say no to middling Daniel Jones type dudes when they are due for extensions and let them hit free agency. From there, I think we'll see the market sort out a second-tier price for QBs.