CAP really does reduce loyalty and team concept in the NFL

Xeven

Reaction score
I understand the CAP is to prevent teams from being pay to win where richest owner always gets the best FA. However the CAP also broke the concept of teams. One thing I enjoyed as a youth is having a steady roster.

I think the NFL should reduce CAP hit when they are paying players that they drafted. Bring back loyalty and team concept. This way a team gets the benefit of their training, coaching and fitness programs as well as keeping talent they picked out and selected.

This would benefit teams that work harder to draft the best players and yes it would make it better to keep your drafted players than take larger hit by picking up a FA from another team.

I am sure there are holes in this idea but I for one would like to see it become easier for teams and players to spend careers at one team if both prefer that. Would make fans happy too as I hate seeing our old favorites playing on other teams because we could not afford them due to CAP space.

Players like Demarco Ware and Cole Beasley, Demaroc Murray would have never had to leave. Team “mate” needs to have meaning again in the NFL.

Flamma

Reaction score
I understand the CAP is to prevent teams from being pay to win where richest owner always gets the best FA. However the CAP also broke the concept of teams. One thing I enjoyed as a youth is having a steady roster.

I think the NFL should reduce CAP hit when they are paying players that they drafted. Bring back loyalty and team concept. This way a team gets the benefit of their training, coaching and fitness programs as well as keeping talent they picked out and selected.

This would benefit teams that work harder to draft the best players and yes it would make it better to keep your drafted players than take larger hit by picking up a FA from another team.

I am sure there are holes in this idea but I for one would like to see it become easier for teams and players to spend careers at one team if both prefer that. Would make fans happy too as I hate seeing our old favorites playing on other teams because we could not afford them due to CAP space.

Players like Demarco Ware and Cole Beasley, Demaroc Murray would have never had to leave. Team “mate” needs to have meaning again in the NFL.
This idea has been brought up numerous times. It's a fantastic idea, but I'd eat my hat if it ever happened.

You'd only get a handful of owners that would agree to this. The one's that go all out to win a championship. And who knows, maybe not even some of them if they think they're doing just fine the way it is.

The issue is it could cost them more money. They may have to potentially spend more than is agreed upon with the salary cap.

gtb1943

Reaction score
My idea is to allow each team to select one player a year to be exempt from the cap. Just cannot do the same player two years in a row.

And allow one drafted player to be resigned regardless of cap hit his first year.

Flamma

Reaction score
There is no cap in the MLB also there is absolutely no team loyalty.
With the OPs suggestion you'd get team loyalty just based on the money alone. But I see what you're saying. Just the cap alone might not have much to do with it.

gtb1943

Reaction score
With the OPs suggestion you'd get team loyalty just based on the money alone. But I see what you're saying. Just the cap alone might not have much to do with it.
You have to factor in todays society and culture. ME ME ME ME

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The cap was created to fix the expense of salaries for players and guarantee profit before the ball hit the tee.

Players seem fine with moving on to their next team and every player is coached by his agent that the #1 priority is that 2nd contract and it does not matter where it is. The conditional tag where the home team can meet the offer of the competing team to keep the player is seldom enacted.

The Niners were the first team to show how to manage the cap and stay competitive when they proactively planned on losing Montana, Rice and Lott, local heroes to the fan base. But they had a franchise to run.

In today's football world, loyalty does not exist. Starts in college with the portal and NIL factors. I read yesterday where one player looks to make 13M before he ever enters the draft. Makes the singings ranking a little less critical because a lot of those players will be on the move to a higher bidder with a starting spot available.

Why would college players entering the NFL expect any kind of loyalty. And yesterday's players didn't see it as loyalty, more like indentured servitude. Had FA and the cap existed in the 60's, we would not have the GB, PIT, SF or DAL dynasties. What NE did was truly remarkable and unduplicated.

Flamma

Reaction score
You have to factor in todays society and culture. ME ME ME ME
Me me me to the point of sickness. These players today are nothing like the players of yesteryear. When players had day jobs. They played because they loved the game and wanted to win. Now they play for money, full stop. Couldn't care less about winning. Do you think Randy White or Bob Lilly cried when they were drafted by the Cowboys? Players today do that because they think they won the lottery.

Take Aaron Rodgers for example. Dude made over 250M not counting endorsements. He needed another 3 year, 150M dollar deal from the packers. Why? To stroke his ego. He didn't care how it affected the team. I'll give Brady credit. At least I know he wanted to win.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Me me me to the point of sickness. These players today are nothing like the players of yesteryear. When players had day jobs. They played because they loved the game and wanted to win. Now they play for money, full stop. Couldn't care less about winning. Do you think Randy White or Bob Lilly cried when they were drafted by the Cowboys? Players today do that because they think they won the lottery.

Take Aaron Rodgers for example. Dude made over 250M not counting endorsements. He needed another 3 year, 150M dollar deal from the packers. Why? To stroke his ego. He didn't care how it affected the team. I'll give Brady credit. At least I know he wanted to win.
Brees was another who wanted every cent he could get each time. One of the reasons he only got one ring.