Carlos Rogers

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
The corner for Auburn, where is that guy expected to go? He's impressed me tonight. Seems physical, goes in to tackle against the run, and has good speed and awareness.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Dale said:
The corner for Auburn, where is that guy expected to go? He's impressed me tonight. Seems physical, goes in to tackle against the run, and has good speed and awareness.

He'll be a first round pick, but I hope it's not us that takes him.

I think with the way the rules are now it severely limits the effectiveness of CBs. Thereby making them not likely to be able to "earn" the money their getting paid. If the NFL is gonna make it where they can't cover, then it doesn't make sense to pay them big money. Before this year I'd love to have him on the team, but now it's like "What's the use?"

We need to revamp the DL. Improve our pass D by not letting opposing QBs be comfortable.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I would say late first round/early second at this point. If he has a great combine, mid-first round. He's probably behind Rolle and Jackson as a CB prospect.

Rack makes a great point about the current state of affairs with CB's. Perhaps this could cause someone to drop to our #20 pick who we don't expect at this point.

ghst187

Reaction score
Rack said:
He'll be a first round pick, but I hope it's not us that takes him.

I think with the way the rules are now it severely limits the effectiveness of CBs. Thereby making them not likely to be able to "earn" the money their getting paid. If the NFL is gonna make it where they can't cover, then it doesn't make sense to pay them big money. Before this year I'd love to have him on the team, but now it's like "What's the use?"

We need to revamp the DL. Improve our pass D by not letting opposing QBs be comfortable.

I don't disagree with your points but I still think we need someone better than Frazier on the other side. Rogers is the cheaper, equally effective, version of Rolle IMO. Both are a little raw and rely on their ridiculous speed but have about the same size and aren't afraid to stick their nose into the backfield on running plays.
I agree it seems like a waste to draft more CBs with the gay rules, but if we don't pick up a FA RCB then its still a need position. Also, its a lot cheaper to draft one than sign one in FA.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Goose was on Norm this morning and said he wouldn't draft a CB in the first round with the current NFL rules.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
He's raw - not sure he's played CB Long. I've seen games where he gets toasted. He does have impressive recovery speed.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Opposing teams completed 18 passes on Rogers all year. 28% of passes thrown in is direction were completed.

Besides that he's been toasted several times this year.

[/sarcasm off]

Nors please stop!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Nors said:
He's raw - not sure he's played CB Long. I've seen games where he gets toasted. He does have impressive recovery speed.

Which games were those?
Most teams stayed away from his side of the field.

I say he's better than Marlin Jackson and has more speed than Rolle.

I see these projects of him being late first to early second. I betcha he's going to be a top 20 pick. Despite the rule change, corners will always be a hot commodity, especially ones with speed. Rogers has speed.

I personally don't think we should take a corner - the pass rush is too important and needs more improvement, which will help our secondary. But I wouldn't be upset if we draft Rogers.

I can hear it now - "Don't roam into Mr. Roger's Neighborhood." :D

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure why size is even a valuable commodity in a CB any more, since any use of said size results in an automatic 1st down. Chris McAllister had a very poor year this year because the league took away his greatest strength.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Carlos Rogers 5-11 7/8 195 4.42
CB, Auburn
War Room analysis
Strengths: Is a fearless defender who has NFL-caliber size and strength. Shows the physical skills to match up with most receivers.

Weaknesses: Rarely makes big plays. Entering his senior season, he had only four interceptions in 35 starts. Lacks ideal speed and struggles to track airborne balls. If beaten on routes, has trouble making the quick turns and sprints necessary to recover.

Bottom line. Rogers' body is NFL-ready, but his lack of playmaking potential makes him only a late-Day 1 or early-Day 2 pick.

Dan Pompei analysis
Has good size and man-to-man skills. Has body control and quickness and is physical. Has improved his stock this year but isn't always focused. Speed is good, not great.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/sports/10385893.htm

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/sports/041220/rogers.shtml

http://www.jimthorpeassoc.org/jimthorpeassoc.org-asp//Carlos Rogers Wins Thorpe Award.asp

AUBURN — Less than twelve months ago, Carlos Rogers had to make a decision.
AP Photo by Todd J. Van Emst
After not even making All-SEC last season, Auburn cornerback Carlos Rogers had a senior year in which he made All-America and won the Thorpe Award as the nation's best defensive back.
Should he stay at Auburn for his senior season of football? Should he leave for the possible riches of the NFL?

It seemed unusual for him to consider turning pro, considering that neither the Southeastern Conference's coaches nor the Associated Press media named him first- or second-team all-league.

Even so, he considered leaving before announcing that he would return — on the same day that All-SEC running backs Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown told reporters that they would play their senior seasons, too.

"At the beginning of the season, I was confident in my choice to come back," said Rogers, a four-year starter at cornerback. "Before this, I don't think that I had gotten the recognition that I should, and that is one of the main reasons that I came back."

With Rogers, Brown and Williams back, Auburn attained a No. 3 national ranking at the end of the regular season and posted a 12-0 record, winning the Tigers first Southeastern Conference championship in 15 years. Also, Auburn can match the 1992 Alabama squad and Tennessee's 1998 team with the only 13-0 records in SEC history Jan. 3 when the Tigers face No. 9 Virginia Tech (10-2) in the Sugar Bowl (7 p.m., WAAY-31).

The impact of Rogers' return might be the most underrated of all three. He helped solidify what turned out to be the nation's toughest defense to score against. Auburn is allowing a national-best 11.2 points a game and is giving up 269.5 yards a game, good for fifth nationally.

Additionally, the defense is eighth best against the pass, allowing only 165 yards a game. Rogers has played a large part in that success.

He got the recognition he wanted, too, earning All-SEC, first-team consensus All-American and the Jim Thorpe Award, which is given annually to the country's top defensive back.

He said he was nervous when he attended the awards ceremony in Orlando on Dec. 9.

"I didn't think that they would call out my name," Rogers said. "I was so scared. Then they called my name and I was a little relieved. I was really happy about it."

Rogers added, "To win this award was one of my main goals for this season, along with being the SEC champs."

Rogers' numbers this year are telling.

In 12 games, teams completed only 27 percent of the passes they threw to his side.

Here's the statistic that shows the true story: All 12 opponents combined to throw 329 passes against Auburn, and only 65 of those were thrown to Rogers' side, with only 18 completions.

Not that he's complaining about having so few passes to defend.

"I was so bored at some games last year — no balls were coming my way," Rogers said. "The quarterback would just turn and look the other way.

"I would jump up and down and wave my hands, but he still wouldn't throw it to me. It hasn't been like that this year. I don't have time to look back on last season and complain."

Fellow senior Jason Campbell has thrown against Rogers in practice for the past four years as Auburn's quarterback. He said he has always known how good his teammate was.

"His recovery speed is so fast, and I think a lot of people don't realize that," Campbell said. "He is just real quick and athletic in the way that he runs. Putting all of that together is why he is so great and why he won the Jim Thorpe Award."

Not a good enough endorsement? OK, try sophomore receiver Courtney Taylor, who has gone against Rogers in practice for the past two years.

Taylor said he's thought Rogers was the best ever since he first went against him.

"A lot of people always ask me about other cornerbacks, and I tell them we got the best cornerback here," Taylor said. "I said that last year — Carlos Rogers is the best cornerback, period. That's how I always felt.

"He showed and proved it this year."

Should we listening to the journalism geek at TSN or the Jim Thorpe panel that includes coaches/conference representatives?

It's not Rolle, Webster or Jackson. It's Carlos Rogers and it should be obvious to anyone who has seen the top corners multiple times this year.

VThokie7

Reaction score
While the new rules may reduce a CB's effectiveness, in order to have a good defense you still have to send out good corners. Look at how teams just abused Frazier.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
I don't want us to draft secondary at all day one and I've said that about 15 times now. Fix the secondary in FA.

I'm debating the fact that he's not raw or a second day pick like you've mentioned.

If your barometer for a CB's draft placement is interceptions, where are Rolle, Jackson, and Webster going?

We can't draft a guy with his int #'s? How are they any different than the other 1st round rated guys?

Now you're trying to qualify his INT's by saying the ball was underthrown? Do you do that for the other CB's you haven't watched all year?

First he's a second day guy. Next he's a second rounder. Third he doesn't have enough INT's even though they are exactly the same as the rest of the first round crop.

What's the real story?

jdnalls

Reaction score
Dale said:
Any way to give back Newman and get Rogers?

jdnalls

Reaction score
VThokie7 said:
While the new rules may reduce a CB's effectiveness, in order to have a good defense you still have to send out good corners. Look at how teams just abused Frazier.
You also need a pass rush but we all know that's not going to happen as long as Zimmer remains our DC.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Nors said:
http://www.auburntigers.com/football/stats/2004/plyr0059.htm

2 Interceptions last year and 1 (Georgia) he was beat deep but pass was badly underthrown.

We can't draft a guy with this much ? in round 1. I'm not so sure we go there in 2 either.

WR, DT, DE/OLB, FS, Roline - far more talent and needs out there.

You're kidding right? :confused:

He gets beat one time, and he has question marks? :confused:

Besides, you can only get interceptions when the ball is thrown in your general vicinity. The fact that teams were scared to throw against him says more than inflated interception stats.