Carson to wear legendary number 21 jersey

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
9:45 a.m. — When Caelen Carson takes the field for what will be his first ever regular season game for the Dallas Cowboys, he'll do so under a tremendous amount of pressure to replace an injured DaRon Bland.
That pressure is now ratcheted up by his jersey selection, because the rookie fifth-round pick will wear No. 21 to begin his NFL career.
"He's shown that the moment isn't too big for him," said head coach Mike McCarthy. "He's got great instincts and ball skills. … He's done a really good job."
The number was made legendary by none other that Hall of Fame cornerback Deion Sanders, having also been donned by Ezekiel Ellliott (in his first stint) and, in 2023, former NFL Defensive Player of the Year Stephon Gilmore.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I still can’t believe they made Bland have surgery for a stress fracture, just cast it up for 3 months….hes out 2 months with surgery that’s really not a big difference. So now Carson is up opposite Diggs coming off an ACL. We went from having the best CBs in the league to starting a 5th rounder, but he wears Deions number so we’re okay.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I still can’t believe they made Bland have surgery for a stress fracture, just cast it up for 3 months….hes out 2 months with surgery that’s really not a big difference. So now Carson is up opposite Diggs coming off an ACL. We went from having the best CBs in the league to starting a 5th rounder, but he wears Deions number so we’re okay.
With surgery is expected back in 4 weeks. 6 weeks would be the max.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well…we replaced Diggs last year with a 5th rounder lol.

plymkr

Reaction score
Julius Jones is gnashing his teeth somewhere. But seriously it’ll be cool seeing a CB with 21 on his jersey. I think he’ll live up to it. I think he’s going to surprise a lot of people

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Carson wore #1 in college and Tolbert already has #1 and Parsons has #11.

It makes sense he would choose #21 if he wanted to keep the "1" in his number.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It really depends where the stress fracture is in his foot.

The fact they performed surgery on it suggests that either 1) it was in an area near or around a joint, and/or 2) they were worried it would be at risk of further issues or a re-break later on.

They probably inserted a plate to add protection during the healing process to make sure it heals correctly and as strong as possible.

If they did install a plate my guess is they will leave it in during the season so he can get back on the field faster and then remove it during the off-season.