Carter is picked as the No. 2 QB

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
JETS NOTEBOOK
Jets: Carter is picked as the No. 2 QB Friday, September 10, 2004
BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Coach Herman Edwards named Quincy Carter the No. 2 quarterback yesterday, suggesting there was never really any doubt, even after Brooks Bollinger engineered a thrilling fourth-quarter comeback victory in the preseason finale against the Eagles last weekend.

Edwards said after that game that he would make the call this week.

"It's Qunicy," said Edwards, incredulous that the question would be asked. "That's not too hard to figure out, I don't think. ... We don't have to sit here and have a quarterback controversy involving the No. 2 quarterback."

Carter, who started 31 career games with the Cowboys and led them to a 10-6 finish last season, was signed Aug. 24. He played two quarters against the Eagles and played fairly well.

The Jets, of course, hope there's no need for Carter because that would mean something bad has happened to starter Chad Pennington.

"Things are going pretty good," Carter said yesterday. "I'm still trying to learn. I've had some good plays and then there are moments when just the complexity of things get in the way. ... The main thing (against the Eagles) was for me not to miss any of my hots (reads) or sight reads and I did that. Now it's a matter of getting timing with my receivers. I'm going to keep working hard and I know good things will happen."

WR Wayne Chrebet,

who missed the entire preseason with a right quad injury, will play Sunday. He was injured Aug. 16 and returned to practice this week.

"He looks good in practice," Edwards said. "I foresee him playing."

Chrebet, whose 2003 season ended by a blow to the head in a Nov. 12 game against the Giants that resulted in post-concussion syndrome, has yet to take a major hit since that game.

Pennington, who recently

signed a seven-year, $64 million contract extension, said he didn't make any major purchases and doesn't plan to. His pal, former Jets QB Vinny Testaverde, owns a Bentley among other luxury cars. Pennington drives a 2004 Toyota Tundra.

"Cole (his infant son) has to go college and I have to have a good retirement," Pennington said with a chuckle. "It's not about living the lifestyle now. It's about later."

Safety Reggie Tongue,

who lost his starting strong safety job to rookie Erik Coleman after missing 25 practices with a calf injury, will start after all. He'll replace Jon McGraw (abdominal pain) at free safety. McGraw is listed as probable. ... The Jets have a limited number of tickets available for the Bengals game through Ticketmaster and the Meadowlands box office.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1094796612100200.xml