CB - Tariq Woolen

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Given the state of the CB room due to Kelvin Joseph pending legal status, I think Day 3 is the perfect time to be looking for a traits cornerback prospect to develop.

I forward you Tariq Woolen of UTSA

Official Combine #s:
6'-4", 205 lbs
33 5/8" arms
4.26 forty
42" vert

This is the guy Quinn probably thought he was getting with Nashon Wright who is actually mediocre athlete.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Given the state of the CB room due to Kelvin Joseph pending legal status, I think Day 3 is the perfect time to be looking for a traits cornerback prospect to develop.

Official Combine #s:
6'-4", 205 lbs
33 5/8" arms
4.26 forty
42" vert

This is the guy Quinn probably thought he was getting with Nashon Wright who is actually mediocre athlete.

Dont think hedging your bets with last years day 2 CB's is a bad idea at this point in the draft. Once both Brown's and Lewis's contracts are up after 2022 and 2023, if both Joseph and Wright done pan out we are in trouble

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Dont think hedging your bets with last years day 2 CB's is a bad idea at this point in the draft. Once both Brown's and Lewis's contracts are up after 2022 and 2023, if both Joseph and Wright done pan out we are in trouble

Yeah, I have zero faith in Nashon ever being a starting caliber NFL corner. I actually like Brown more than most as a #3-4 corner that can step in as a starter. Lewis I like as a utility player but have always felt he's a penalty magnet and easy target in the slot.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Love him on day 3. I’d take him in the 4th.

I'm OK with Woolen in the 4th; however, I keep thinking about another UT San Antonio player.

Teddy Williams was one of the all time great athletes to spend time with the Cowboys.

Teddy Williams was on the Cowboys practice squad for a couple of years and on the 53 man roster for a short period of time.
- Williams ran a 9.9 sec 100 meters in college.
- When Bob set a World record in the 100 meters, it was 10.06 seconds.
- Hayes did run an unofficial 9.9 second 100 meters at one point.

The Cowboys tried Williams at both CB and WR but he didn't stick.
- He did end up staying in the NFL for a total of about 7 years, but was never a starter.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm OK with Woolen in the 4th; however, I keep thinking about another UT San Antonio player.

Teddy Williams was one of the all time great athletes to spend time with the Cowboys.

Teddy Williams was on the Cowboys practice squad for a couple of years and on the 53 man roster for a short period of time.
- Williams ran a 9.9 sec 100 meters in college.
- When Bob set a World record in the 100 meters, it was 10.06 seconds.
- Hayes did run an unofficial 9.9 second 100 meters at one point.

The Cowboys tried Williams at both CB and WR but he didn't stick.
- He did end up staying in the NFL for a total of about 7 years, but was never a starter.
If you play ST, you'll keep collecting a paycheck. If Kyle Wilber lands on a team, he'll be a 10 year vet. Kyle ******* Wilber

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I'm sure Quinn is all over this guy.

I haven't spent much time looking at him (or any other CB, really) but I'm guessing he has questionable hands. The first thing I thought when I looked at that size/speed ratio is 'why isn't he a WR?' Turns out he's a converted WR. UTSA ain't Alabama. I don't think this was a Diggs situation where he needed to get out of a crowded WR room to have a realistic shot of making use of his skills.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, I have zero faith in Nashon ever being a starting caliber NFL corner. I actually like Brown more than most as a #3-4 corner that can step in as a starter. Lewis I like as a utility player but have always felt he's a penalty magnet and easy target in the slot.
Wright carries a Day 2 pedigree, but he was practically a 4th round. Your hit rate for CB's at the point in the draft is pretty small

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm not against drafting a CB like Woolen; however...
  • I don't know why some people are dogging Nahshon Wright.
    • Probably because they don't understand 'scheme fit'.
    • He was one of the 'stars' of training camp last year.
    • He did score a TD on Special Teams.
    • He was never going to get many snaps during the season with 3 veteran starters and Kelvin Joseph in front of him.
  • Wright did start and play 100% of snaps in game 17.
    • I reviewed all of his snaps in that game and he had a 'quality start'.
    • Allowed 1 catch and was strong vs the run.
    • He had a nice play where he undercut the WR and was a couple of inches from an INT.
  • Scheme Fit
    • Richard Sherman would have been 'just a guy' in some defensive schemes.
      • In the Seattle Legion of Boom scheme he became a super star.
      • Sherman himself said that he would have failed if force to play a Revis style.
    • A big aspect of Diggs success in 2021 was due to how Quinn allowed him to play.
      • Many similarities to Richard Sherman's role in the Legion of Boom defense.

Bizwah

Reaction score
    • He was never going to get many snaps during the season with 3 veteran starters and Kelvin Joseph in front of him.
    • He had a nice play where he undercut the WR and was a couple of inches from an INT.
  • Scheme Fit
      • Sherman himself said that he would have failed if force to play a Revis style.
    • A big aspect of Diggs success in 2021 was due to how Quinn allowed him to play.
yeah....I'm kind of wondering the same. "Why are we dogging Wright?"

He wasn't awful. He played behind some really good players. Let's see what happens. If he doesn't improve this season, then people can talk.

Verdammung

Reaction score
I watched him because he was #51 on TDN's board and saw a day three project.

He's such a Dan Quinn prototype it hurts, but he needs to get better in coverage.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
  • Scheme Fit
Who is "dogging" him? Im not going to crown a CB taken deep in the third due to a good preseason, and a start against a bad team. The NFL graveyard is full of "preseason stars"

Wright might turn into a quality player, but Im not going to crown him a future starter.

And yes, I do know what "scheme fit" means. Scheme fit doesnt matter if you arent a playable player, and we dont know that Wright is yet

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Official Combine #s:
6'-4", 205 lbs
33 5/8" arms
4.26 forty
42" vert

I love this player!

Truly hope the Cowboys get him if he's available in the late 4th round. He's too talented to pass up. Perfect height, super fast, nice quickness and twitch, plus he's an ex-WR so that should help him make better decisions as CB the way it has helped Trevon.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
  • Scheme Fit

Lol, shut up you hack.

Beaker42

Reaction score

Official Combine #s:
6'-4", 205 lbs
33 5/8" arms
4.26 forty
42" vert

Poly you were right about Woolen.