WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dec 5, 2008 11:14 AM
Road Barbarian

Posted by CBS11

How much do the Cowboys need Marion Barber on Sunday in Pittsburgh? With game time temperatures expected to be in the mid-20s with a 60% chance of snow, you would think the running game will be very important.
And, check out how the Cowboys have seemed to rely on the running game in their road games this year. The disparity in Barber's numbers home vs. road is surprising.

In six road games this season, Barber has 122 carries for 535 yards rushing and 5 TDs. That's 4.39 yards per carry.

In six home games this season, Barber has 103 carries for 235 yards rushing and 2 TDs. That's a mere 2.28 yards per carry.

That's an incredible difference in production. And, throw in Barber's receiving numbers, and the difference is even more pronounced.

Road: 147 touches--771 yards--6 TDs--5.24 yards per touch
Home: 125 touches--365 yards--3 TDs--2.92 yards per touch

Why the disparity? Well, a small part of it is that 2 of the 6 road games were started by Brad Johnson at QB, and a third was Tony Romo's 1st appearance after his finger injury (a 14-10 win at Washington). Only one of the home games was started by Johnson.

But moreso, I think it comes down to a mindset--that of Jason Garrett and the entire offense, especially the offensive line. When the team plays on the road, they know going in that they are going to have to establish a ground game to survive. At Texas Stadium, I think there's more of an attitude of pressing the envelope with all the weapons in the passing game since this team is able to play in pristine conditions at home. There's no wind issue, and cold and rain have been non-factors.

Bottom line is, whether its Marion Barber or Tashard Choice, the Cowboys better be able to have a dependable ground game Sunday if they are going to have any success against the best defense in the NFL.

Oh, and by the way, it figures to be the coldest weather the club has played in since November 23, 1997--a nightmarish 45-17 loss at Green Bay where the game time temperature was 22 degrees. In that game, the Packers' Dorsey Levens ran for 190 yards on 33 carries. Emmitt Smith had 59 yards on 11 carries.

Bill Jones

Mansta54

Reaction score
Ahh, we also SUCKED in 1997 at Green Bay. This team is talented and damn good. Plus, we have Romo...:D

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Mansta54;2464333 said:
Ahh, we also SUCKED in 1997 at Green Bay. This team is talented and damn good. Plus, we have Romo...:D

Plus that 97 GB team was the most talented team in NFL that year. Yeah, they lost the SB, but that was because of arrogance more than because of talent.

But without Marion Barber, I put my expections a notch down. I am not that hopeful of win anymore. I was hoping, Barber at least would be a 3rd down back, i.e. play some 15-20 snaps. Its one too many losses for cowboys to cope up, unless D plays lights out and Offense doesn't turnover the ball.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's nice to know the O-line has run-blocked better on the road. This will help Choice. The bright side is if Choice has a good game, then we know that we will have three awesome running backs heading into next year. But first things first. Beat Pittsburgh. If the Cowboys win on the road without Barber against the greatest defense ever assembled [/sarcasm], then the naysayers will just have to choke on all the pro-Steeler crap they've been eating all week.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Why all the worrying? It was very unlikely we were going to run on that team. All we need is to pass well enough to set the run up and run well enough to make them play honest. Choice knows how to run a draw play as well as Barber. This game rides on the arm and savvy of Romo and the play of the OL.