WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DENNIS, ANYONE?

Posted by CBS11
December 6, 2008

---Cowboys head coach WADE PHILLIPS has his team convinced that they play their best football when they are a loose, fun-loving, relaxed and rested team. He may be right. But, I offer a certain playoff game back in January, as evidence, he is not.

---TEXAS TECH is the college football team getting the biggest shaft this month. Okay, moving past the TEXAS/OKLAHOMA squabble...OU is in the Big 12 Championship game. That leaves Texas and Texas Tech sitting there, with one more BCS bid available to a Big 12 team. Why is it Texas?
Tech had the same record and beat em. Furthermore, as a proud, passionate OHIO STATE alum, I have no problem asking.... why should a 10-2 Buckeye team get another BCS bowl bid and Texas Tech does not? Tech deserves to go to a BCS bowl game. Here is a suggestion...the rule allowing only two teams from one conference to go BCS-ing should be thrown out if a conference has three teams in the top ten.

---The new KILLERS record is a notch above very good and a notch below great. The biggest disappointment I have with it is the band did not include the lyrics in its packaged presentation. This bothers me on two fronts...first...the songs are very strong lyrically and I always like to read them as if they were poetry...and secondly...on the second song...the band asks the questions...Are we human? Or are we dancer? Or is it denser? Neither makes much sense to me. Frustrating.

---Back to OLE EASY WADE for another second. Remember when linebacker BRADIE JAMES was awful? I would argue that BILL PARCELLS put him in positions he could not succeed in. Much credit to this coach for putting him positions he can succeed in. Bradie leads the team in tackles with 148...his career high with four games remaining...and leads the NFL among inside linebackers with five sacks. Bradie has been very good the past two seasons under ole easy Wade. He deserves credit for that and so does Wade.

---Living in North Texas spoils you...WEATHER-WISE. Example: I have done nothing but complain about going to Pittsburgh this weekend...and having to endure 25 degrees for our pre-game show Sunday morning. Back in the day...at Crestview Country Club in Wichita, Kansas...the boys and I would think nothing about playing golf in 25 degrees. In fact... our all-time record...we played one January day with a minus 8 wind chill.

---I was happy to hear the excitement in my six year old daughter's voice this week....when she told me her Christmas Holiday from kindergarten begins December 19th. And, she doesn't have to go back to school until January 5th! I don't think you ever get too old to remember how good that felt.

---Happy birthday to my good friend, respected peer and bearded boss...BABE LAUFENBERG. He turned 49 Friday December 5th. He told me that next year...in a clever recalling of a Barry Switzer line...that "life will hang a half a hundred on him!"

---Anybody else starting to get the feeling that Mavs new coach RICK CARLISLE just might know what he's doing?

---PREDICTIONS...Cowboys beat Pittsburgh. Just a strong hunch. Beware Longhorns...Ohio State just might get you in the Fiesta Bowl. Update prediction...the loser of the SEC Championship game will beat Utah by 40 in the Sugar Bowl. Oklahoma will start scoring on Missouri in the Big 12 Championship game at around 7:11pm central time Saturday night...and finish...sometime Sunday morning.

---THUMBS UP Cowboys....DeMarcus Ware... for not being hurt.
---THUMBS DOWN Cowboys...Pacman...for the silly pajama display at practice Wednesday.

---By the way...I saw something at practice this week that I have not seen in three seasons. TERRELL OWENS practiced in shorts. For some reason he was not in his patented, tight fitting stretch pants. I also saw why...he has skinny little legs. Looks funny in shorts.

---Final thought...after a hot, sweaty mini-camp practice back in June...several Cowboys told us their MOTTO for this season...is to FINISH. Finish every play, every game, and finish the season. That, Tony Romo said, is what championship teams do. Well, here they sit...facing a cold, nervously sweaty, December game in Pittsburgh. The time has come to put the motto to the test.

Steve Dennis
CBS11/TXA21 Sports