Chad Greenway

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what's the deal with this guy?

Some say he is too weak and doesn't like to tackle. Others say he's a fine tackler, is always around the ball, is excellent in coverage, is high character, loves to study film, and has as much "upside" as any LB prospect because he's only played the positon for a few years and is still learning.

Anyone who has seen this guy play wish to straighten out these different takes on Greenway?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Greenway is great in coverage, turning and running, and making plays on the ball, that may be his best attribute...but some say he's a product of the system and needs his lineman to keep guys off him, they also say he takes down too many guys by the shoestring

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
Can anyone tell me what's the deal with this guy?

Some say he is too weak and doesn't like to tackle. Others say he's a fine tackler, is always around the ball, is excellent in coverage, is high character, loves to study film, and has as much "upside" as any LB prospect because he's only played the positon for a few years and is still learning.

Anyone who has seen this guy play wish to straighten out these different takes on Greenway?

Thanks in advance.

He certainly didn't blow anyone away with his combine workouts. TV coverage of the weigh ins showed a guy with a total lack of definition. Sims and Hawk made him look like a high schooler in comparison.

I've watched quite a few Iowa games over the last couple of years and I never came away saying "Wow, that Greenway is something else".

I think he'd be a good fit in a 4-3....a great fit in a 4-3 Cover 2 Tampa scheme. I think he is a poor fit for a 3-4.

He is solid in coverage and from all accounts a great character guy and leader.

Iowa players in general have been kind of overrated the past couple of years. One theory I read was that Ferentz had them so technically prepared that it overshadowed their weaknesses.

He reminds of DJ last year....but not as good.

Champsheart

Reaction score
All I can really say is before the season began I had my eye on him because he looked to fit the 3-4 profile and he was being mentioned as a really good player.

I watched every Iowa game that came on, which I think was 3 games. I just watched his play, and did not really pay attention to much else.

I was very disappointed in what I saw. I really do not understand why he is considered a first round pick. Yes each game I watched he had a coulpe of tackles, but big deal.

Everytime he rushed the passer he was easily blocked. Several times RB went right buy him because he could not shed the block. His instincts did not impress me, and overall he looked very average. He did look ok in coverage.

This is one player I hope Dallas stays away from. Maybe he did something more impressive in the games i did not see, but then again maybe not.

The guy who kept standing out was Hodge. That guy was all over the place, and even though smaller looked faster and more physical than Greenway.

I am really uncertain if Hodge would fit in a 3-4 though.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Champsheart said:
All I can really say is before the season began I had my eye on him because he looked to fit the 3-4 profile and he was being mentioned as a really good player.

I watched every Iowa game that came on, which I think was 3 games. I just watched his play, and did not really pay attention to much else.

I was very disappointed in what I saw. I really do not understand why he is considered a first round pick. Yes each game I watched he had a coulpe of tackles, but big deal.

Everytime he rushed the passer he was easily blocked. Several times RB went right buy him because he could not shed the block. His instincts did not impress me, and overall he looked very average. He did look ok in coverage.

This is one player I hope Dallas stays away from. Maybe he did something more impressive in the games i did not see, but then again maybe not.

The guy who kept standing out was Hodge. That guy was all over the place, and even though smaller looked faster and more physical than Greenway.

Crappier Derrick Johnson. I've said it before. Tackles 3-4 yds pass the LOS, and doesn't make many big plays. For his size, he really should dominate, but it looks like he shys away from contact and is way better sideline to sideline than a take on type LBer.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Champsheart said:

I agree. Hodge stood out much more than Greenway.

MiStar

Reaction score
He doesn't play well in traffic. As a result, he waits for the ball carrier to come into striking range once the ball carrier gets past his blockers. As a result, he will rack up a lot of tackles, but most of those tackles will be after 4 or 5 yard gains. That said, he's a terrific cover guy. He's best suited to play SS or LB in a scheme that wont ask him to play on the line of scrimmage very much. So I'd say that he's unfit to play any of the linebacker positions in the 3-4. He'd do an OK job, but I doubt that he'd ever be a star player in the 3-4.

As for Hodge, he could definitely play in the 3-4. If Dallas is looking for an ILB with good coverage skills, they could very well consider Hodge.