Chad Jackson

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Jackson's done nothing but impress me.

Honsetly, if he wasn't from Florida (also known as "the receiver graveyard"), a lot more people would have him as the #1 receiver at this point.

He's been the fastest player at the combine thus far, he's got good size, he's ripped, has great hands, and was very productive in college.

What more can you ask for?

I've got nothing against Santonio Holmes, but until he runs, Jackson's the better prospect in my book because of the raw physical upside.

superpunk

Reaction score
Florida's rep comes from the tiny speed receivers Spurrier used to run through there. Jackson is big, built, and wicked fast. I don't think WR is a need for us. But, if he's there at 18, I couldn't pass on him. He looks like a T.O. Keep in mind he's been getting some pretty crappy QB play from Florida the past few years. I like him. REALLY like him.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Typhus said:

Honsetly, if he wasn't from Florida (also known as "the receiver graveyard"), a lot more people would have him as the #1 receiver at this point.

He's been the fastest player at the combine thus far, he's got good size, he's ripped, has great hands, and was very productive in college.

I've got nothing against Santonio Holmes, but until he runs, Jackson's the better prospect in my book because of the raw physical upside.

I agree totally. Jackson has had a tough time earning the stats he has with all of the recruits like Caldwell and this year's class. UF seems to develop WR's but not all turn out as planned. Jackson seems to have it all. Previous guys like Taylor Jacobs and Ike Hilliard were developed by Spurrier and burned out in the NFL, whether it be them underachieving in the NFL or overachieving in college. Jackson also seems to have his head on right too.

superpunk

Reaction score
In short, I'd hate to pass on Randy Moss twice, and this time seemingly WITHOUT the attitude.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Someday someone is going to shatter the Florida WR rep. Ala Larry Johnson with the Penn State RB rep. Now the Chiefs have one of the top 5 RBs in the game. Chad Jackson is just as good as any to break that mold. Darrell Jackson has done alright in Seattle as well.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Typhus said:

I was very disappointed that Holmes didn't workout at the combine. I think Holmes runs the better routes and is more versatile of the two. I saw all but one of Santonio's games this season and I think maybe one of Jackson's. So my info on Jackson isn't very good. I have been impressed however with everything I've read on Jackson. However if numbers were all that were important, than Mike Mamula would have been a perenial pro bowl player

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
I was very disappointed that Holmes didn't workout at the combine. I think Holmes runs the better routes and is more versatile of the two. I saw all but one of Santonio's games this season and I think maybe one of Jackson's. So my info on Jackson isn't very good. I have been impressed however with everything I've read on Jackson. However if numbers were all that were important, than Mike Mamula would have been a perenial pro bowl player

Yeah exactly, if Holmes proves he can run 4.30 flat, then of course he's back to being the #1 receiver. But until he puts up an official time, Jackson takes that spot. It's not that 40 times should be the only thing (or even a huge part) of analyzing a prospect, but I just don't see a lot of negatives with Jackson.

Consider that Jackson put up very good numbers last year: 88 catches, 900 yards, 9 touchdowns. By comparison, Holmes had 53 catches, 977 yards, 11 touchdowns. Sure Holmes had more YPC, but Jackson had 35 more catches! Now let's go back to the previous season: Jackson had just 29 catches but 648 yards--that's 22.3 a catch! Holmes actually had more catches (55), but only 769 yards, averaging a very pedestrian 14.0 yards per catch. The point is that the stat is completely irrelevant, and both players are, for all intents and purposes, statistically equal.

So then you look at the players themselves. Holmes is 5'11 190. Jackson is 6'1 200, and if you just look at the two players, Jackson is much more of a physical specimen. We think Holmes is fast; we know that Jackson is not only fast, he's faster than Sinorice Moss and every other receiver running at the combine, which is no small feat.

On paper at the present time, Jackson is clearly a better prospect, and I don't think that can be argued. Holmes' biggest advantage is that he's a very polished route runner, but unless some team is planning on starting him right off the bat (which I doubt anyone would), how big of a deal is that? Jackson's shown nothing to indicate that he's a sloppy route runner, and he has no character issues that would lead people to believe that within 3 years (the standard time it takes for receivers to develop) he won't be polished.

Again, if Holmes runs well, then that would change my assessment; because right now I just don't see Holmes as having the same kind of physical upside that Jackson has, and I don't think either is good enough to make an immediate impact (so being "more polished" really isn't a big deal). I'm not trying to drool over Chad Jackson--he's not even close to, say, Braylon Edwards as a prospect--but I think he's a better prospect than Holmes.

VirusX

Reaction score
I would love to draft this kid in the right situation.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I would take Jackson at 18, the LB and OT class is loaded, and a good safety can be had in the 3rd round, or later, but WR is weak, and Jackson is a beast

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Typhus said:
Yeah exactly, if Holmes proves he can run 4.30 flat, then of course he's back to being the #1 receiver. But until he puts up an official time, Jackson takes that spot. It's not that 40 times should be the only thing (or even a huge part) of analyzing a prospect, but I just don't see a lot of negatives with Jackson.

Consider that Jackson put up very good numbers last year: 88 catches, 900 yards, 9 touchdowns. By comparison, Holmes had 53 catches, 977 yards, 11 touchdowns. Sure Holmes had more YPC, but Jackson had 35 more catches! Now let's go back to the previous season: Jackson had just 29 catches but 648 yards--that's 22.3 a catch! Holmes actually had more catches (55), but only 769 yards, averaging a very pedestrian 14.0 yards per catch. The point is that the stat is completely irrelevant, and both players are, for all intents and purposes, statistically equal.

So then you look at the players themselves. Holmes is 5'11 190. Jackson is 6'1 200, and if you just look at the two players, Jackson is much more of a physical specimen. We think Holmes is fast; we know that Jackson is not only fast, he's faster than Sinorice Moss and every other receiver running at the combine, which is no small feat.

On paper at the present time, Jackson is clearly a better prospect, and I don't think that can be argued. Holmes' biggest advantage is that he's a very polished route runner, but unless some team is planning on starting him right off the bat (which I doubt anyone would), how big of a deal is that? Jackson's shown nothing to indicate that he's a sloppy route runner, and he has no character issues that would lead people to believe that within 3 years (the standard time it takes for receivers to develop) he won't be polished.

Again, if Holmes runs well, then that would change my assessment; because right now I just don't see Holmes as having the same kind of physical upside that Jackson has, and I don't think either is good enough to make an immediate impact (so being "more polished" really isn't a big deal). I'm not trying to drool over Chad Jackson--he's not even close to, say, Braylon Edwards as a prospect--but I think he's a better prospect than Holmes.

Uhhhhhh Ohh.. See I didn't like Braylon Edwards all that much. And from what I've read I'd rather have jackson over edwards if they both came out in the same year.

Reaction score
I still don't understand why people have Holmes rated higher than Jackson, if you look at the complete package Chad comes out on top. I mean the guy can burn you deep, he catches the out routes and goes over the middle. At seems too high right now, I guess it's the whole Florida WR's rep LOL.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
I hate to go WR at 18 but I REALLY like this kid a lot.

Honestly if Dallas does indeed go with WR at 18, than I'm okay with either.. at this point anyway.

By the way, I think Holmes is motivated to be a good pro. Having 3 kids to take care of would hopefully have his priorities in order.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dayton_Cowboy said:
Honestly if Dallas does indeed go with WR at 18, than I'm okay with either.. at this point anyway.

By the way, I think Holmes is motivated to be a good pro. Having 3 kids to take care of would hopefully have his priorities in order.
I really wished he would have worked out last weekend. I guess the pressure is really on come pro day. Jackson looked very impressive to me and is clearly an option at 18 for us now.

MRTRIPOD

Reaction score
I have known him all my life.

He is really a GOOD GUY.

When some atheletes were out drinking...he went bowling.

VERY GOOD KID!

always dominated at whatever he did

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
I like Jackson but not at #18. Now if we traded down a few spots, picked up an extra 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.. well then I'd definately consider it if he still managed to be there.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
MRTRIPOD said:
I have known him all my life.

He is really a GOOD GUY.

When some atheletes were out drinking...he went bowling.

VERY GOOD KID!

always dominated at whatever he did

Now Im sold,, thats the best inside scoop Ive heard on Jackson... character is as important as talent.