Chad Johnson has a new list, courtesy of Marvin Lewis

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
This list by Marvin Lewis should be required reading by all NFL WR's...

Chad finds out coach has a list of his own
By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

Chad Johnson has a new list, courtesy of Marvin Lewis.

The Bengals' wide receiver was all set to unveil a new locker list of checkmarks he specially designed for Sunday's game at Baltimore but the head coach called an audible late Tuesday night and made up his own list, which he then hung in Johnson's locker.

Lewis' list, entitled: "Did 85 do everything he could to lead His Team to Victory 11-6-05?" has six questions:

(1) Did he study extra tape?,
(2) Zero mental errors in practice?,
(3) Make a teammate better?,
(4) See all Sights and Hots?,
(5) Did he run after the catch?
(6) Did he finish in blocking?​

"I had a real good list for this week, just for this game, and I came in (Wednesday) morning and the authority had taken that good list down and this is what was put in my locker," Johnson said. "I have to challenge myself throughout the week to make sure I help lead my team to victory."

Johnson has had a laminated list entitled "Who covered 85 in '85?" taped up in his locker all season, a list that included the names of cornerbacks expected to line up against Johnson in each game this season, followed by boxes to check either "Yes" or "No." All eight boxes this season had been checked "No" so far, and Ravens cornerbacks Chris McAlister and Samari Rolle were next on the list.

Johnson still has the original list, but after putting up his new list - which was an expanded version of the original - word of it got back to Lewis who then made the change. Lewis is holding on to Chad's new list.

"You know, communication and identification is important this week," Lewis said with a smile. "His list is good. I told you I had the list. My list is important. It's up there. That's my list. I let them check it, but I made it (Tuesday) night about 11:30. That's the most important list, No. 1."

Johnson produced 18 catches for 260 yards and two touchdowns in two games against Baltimore last season. In seven career games against the Ravens, Johnson has 39 receptions for 621 yards and five touchdowns.

"That could have made the hall of fame of all lists. That was a good one," Johnson said. "It might be given back to me before we play them again, and I'll put it up. It was just for them. It was nice, too. Very creative. It was a good one."​

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Marvin Lewis and his staff single change a loosing culture in Cincinatti.

I haven't seen so many Bengals jerseys in a sports bar in quite some time.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Good move to keep a star player "engaged". He is one of the better coaches in the league....jmo.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan said:
Good move to keep a star player "engaged". He is one of the better coaches in the league....jmo.

yep... Johnson is a potentially volatile player and Lewis handles him well...

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
trickblue said:
yep... Johnson is a potentially volatile player and Lewis handles him well...

I mostly agree....I think Chad whines too much during games. I would like to see Marv give him a bit more "tough love". This list thing....great move, it keeps him humble and his focus on the team, not just #85.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I have always liked Marvin Lewis. This just made me like him even more. I think he's a Coach who gets it and is able to bridge that gap between professionalism as a team and personality for the players.

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I have always liked Marvin Lewis. This just made me like him even more. I think he's a Coach who gets it and is able to bridge that gap between professionalism as a team and personality for the players.
Kind of makes you wonder just why did it take him so long to get that head coach job.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I thought it was pure genius, but it also shows how the Bengals' schedule is so weak, that it affords Lewis the time to do something like this.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
percyhoward said:
I thought it was pure genius, but it also shows how the Bengals' schedule is so weak, that it affords Lewis the time to do something like this.
I kind of doubt it took him more than 5 or 6 minutes. Those ae things every HC wants from his WR.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Props to Marvin Lewis...I know Chad respects Lewis as he has mentioned in the past, so I'm sure he's taking this to heart. Chad is an absolute talent....Lewis is doing a great job keeping him in line...Props!