Chad Took Swing At Marvin

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
take it for what its worth because its from the rag.

CHAD TOOK SWING AT MARVIN

A league source tells us that multiple members of the Cincinnati Bengals witnessed a troubling incident as the team prepared to take the field for the second half of Sunday's playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Per the source, the last few minutes of intermission were ticking away, when the players were startled by the sight and sound of a helmet slamming against the glass pane of the training room door. Inside, receiver Chad Johnson and receivers coach Hue Jackson were engaged in an altercation. At one point, Johnson was seen holding Jackson in a headlock.

Coach Marvin Lewis entered the training room to intervene, and Johnson (per the source) took a swing at him.

Eventually, receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh broke up the skirmish, within a minute or so of the team exiting the locker room for the second half.

On Monday, several members of the team pointed to the Johnson-Jackson-Lewis incident as the catalyst for the loss of a 17-14 halftime lead and, ultimately, a 31-17 defeat.

Word is that Johnson was unhappy with the lack of balls thrown to him in the first half. A total of three passes came his way, with two completions.

In the second half, another three passes were thrown to Johnson, with only two more completions. For the game, Johnson had four catches for 59 yards.

The incident could have an even more lasting impact on the team than quarterback Carson Palmer's torn ACL and MCL. Some players, we're told, don't want to see Johnson back next year, and there's a belief that the team will be less inclined to give in to Johnson's request for a hefty restructuring of a contract that expires after the 2009 season.

So the Chad Johnson saga very well could evolve into the 2006 version of the Terrell Owens fiasco.

If so, it's very bad news for a franchise that otherwise looked to have a very bright future.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
I wouldn't doubt it. Johnson was trouble waiting to happen. I happen to think he is more successful version of Antonio Bryant. He looks similar and has the same route running capability.

But he is still a head case, which was proved when Bengals won against Cowboys and he pouted and screamed because he didn't get enough balls. That guy is all about stats and not wins. Unfortunately he didn't get his Cousin's attitude about winning ( Keyshaun Johnson's that is).

burmafrd

Reaction score
There really is no contest. the top A holes of the whole league are all WR's.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
Sometimes in the heat of battle these things happen. Not our problem, but I am sure it will linger next year in the locker room.....

playit12

Reaction score
You know, Marvin has always seemed to have problems with the primadonnas. He had all kinds of problems with LaVar as I recall too. I wouldn't put this all on Chad's Shoulders. Mostly I think this kind of stuff happens all the time with all teams... But Marvin's own personality doesn't lead to diffusing the situations.

As for Chad... He's a much better reciever than AB. He is arguable one of the top 5 WRs in the league. His ability to adjust to the ball, catch it at it's highest point, and out muscle DBs is almost unmatched. He has some great wheels too.

As for comparisons to TO... I defended TO quite a bit on this board, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt, but the main difference between TO and CJ, is that CJ always dirrects his trash talking to the other team. I can't ever remember him insulting a member of his own team... and he has certainly had ample opertunity to do so.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
playit12 said:
You know, Marvin has always seemed to have problems with the primadonnas. He had all kinds of problems with LaVar as I recall too. I wouldn't put this all on Chad's Shoulders. Mostly I think this kind of stuff happens all the time with all teams... But Marvin's own personality doesn't lead to diffusing the situations.

It's not like Gibbs and Williams haven't had the same problems with Lavar...

As for comparisons to TO... I defended TO quite a bit on this board, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt, but the main difference between TO and CJ, is that CJ always dirrects his trash talking to the other team. I can't ever remember him insulting a member of his own team... and he has certainly had ample opertunity to do so.
Fighting with your position coach and taking a swing at your HC could be considered an insult in some cultures...

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

Fighting with your position coach and taking a swing at your HC could be considered an insult in some cultures...

Ouch! :D

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Chad is strange case. But I love him. Just look at this quote: (in discussing an upcoming matchup against Al Harris) "Well, the bad news for him is that he has to cover me this Sunday. The good news is that he can save up to ten percent by switching to Geico."

That is just classic trash talk.

Kilyin

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Chad is strange case. But I love him. Just look at this quote: (in discussing an upcoming matchup against Al Harris) "Well, the bad news for him is that he has to cover me this Sunday. The good news is that he can save up to ten percent by switching to Geico."

That is just classic trash talk.

Or a stupid and overused commercial cliche.

Maybe we're missing the real motive here though..

I said it before -- some folks look for ANY excuse to make a negative evaluation of a black man.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Kilyin said:
I said it before -- some folks look for ANY excuse to make a negative evaluation of a black man.

Are you serious? He took a swing at his head coach! That has nothing to do with skin color. I'd wager that the exact same things would be being written if Chad were white.

It was stupid and shows complete lack of self-control.

Reaction score
I think we would have heard about this much sooner if it were true, people love to through rumors out there at the end of the season especially when you lose a dissapointing game like that.

playit12

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

I think LaVar's relationship with the team deteriorated after Marvin. I really think he was getting along with Williams and Gibbs before he injured his leg last year though. Even this year really hasn't been that acrimonious. Mostly all he has said is that he wants to be on the field to contribute and that he believes that he will be cut after the season (mostly due to cap reasons).

If this report is true it would be the first such action I've heard about Chad.. but my point was that I think these things happen in all teams, but you wouldn't normally hear about them. I think Marvin is a very type A personality that doesn't diffuse situations well with other Type A personalities.