Challenging a non-penalty

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
How was it possible for Gibbs to challenge a non-penalty call?

Isn't that like challenging a non-pass interference that could have been one?

Or challenging a non-offsides that could have been one?

Or challenging a non-false start that could have been one?

Or challenging a non-delay of game that could have been one?

Boysboy

Reaction score
Challenging a 12 men on the field has been legal since last year-Dungy did it in the Super Bowl.

gbrittain

Reaction score
I don't know, but teams challenge catch or no catch all the time. That certainly is not a penalty.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I'd say that it is not a judgement call. We can definitively look at the camera and determine how many players are on the field.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
gbrittain;1854806 said:
I don't know, but teams challenge catch or no catch all the time. That certainly is not a penalty.

Yeah, I understand that, but that's not what I meant.

What I meant was challenging the notion that the refs should have called a penalty, but didn't.

Thus, the analgous examples that I gave, the one concerning the delay of game probably being the most applicable to the 12-man scenario.

Everyone can see the time go off the clock, and hit zero, but I've seen plenty of plays that still occurred despite this fact. No opposing coach has ever tried challenging the "non-call" of a delay of game.

Boysboy

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1854839 said:

What I meant was challenging the notion that the refs should have called a penalty, but didn't.

Thus, the analgous examples that I gave, the one concerning the delay of game probably being the most applicable to this scenario.

Everyone can see the time go off the clock, and hit zero, but I've seen plenty of plays that still occurred despite this fact. No opposing coach has ever tried challenging the "non-call" of a delay of game.

The NFL rules committee is schizophrenic. Whatever they decide, is whatever they decide. You can challenge 12 men on the field penalties, but not delay of game ones. Dunno why, but don't ask us.

gbrittain

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1854839 said:

Thus, the analgous examples that I gave, the one concerning the delay of game probably being the most applicable to the 12-man scenario.

I got ya. I was not sure where you were headed with that. Evidently it can be done though.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
the question that never got answered about that play was Did the skins substitute and if so then minnesota has to be allowed to....

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;1854880 said:
the question that never got answered about that play was Did the skins substitute and if so then minnesota has to be allowed to....

i dont think the skins subbed. michaels and madden said they didnt, and remember, they were trying to get a snap off in a hurry to avoid a challenge by minn.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
riggo;1854899 said:
i dont think the skins subbed. michaels and madden said they didnt, and remember, they were trying to get a snap off in a hurry to avoid a challenge by minn.

cool, thanks I didnt hear them say that.

It was a great call by gibbs and the staff. Who knows what could have happened had the vikings got the ball back.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I wonder if if the Vikes could have challenged Moss' catch after the penalty.

technically a play had not been run.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1854911 said:
I wonder if if the Vikes could have challenged Moss' catch after the penalty.

technically a play had not been run.

The play was ran. It's not a dead ball penalty, the ball has to be snapped for it to occur.