Chargers | Brees turned down six-year 50m contract with team

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:38:38 -0800

Harvey Fialkov and Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports free agent QB Drew Brees (Chargers) turned down a six-year, $50 million contract because only $2 million of it was guaranteed, according to a report in the San Diego Union-Tribune. The Chargers only guaranteed $2 million because of the uncertain status of his surgically repaired right shoulder.

VThokie7

Reaction score
Can't blame him, $2 million guarented is pretty pitiful for a QB. When you look out at some of the bonus's other players are getting and thats all he is offered I can see why he would turn it down.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dolphins to make their QB move

posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006

The Saints may have the edge in signing San Diego Chargers quarterback Drew Brees. But they didn't make a deal good enough to preventing him from making a visit to the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.

Dolphins coach Nick Saban and general manager Randy Mueller flew to Birmingham, Ala., to meet Brees and try to convince him to make a visit to Miami Sunday. The Saints also tried to sign him and still have a good chance.

Though the Chargers are still holding their last offer for Brees, there is virtually no chance he will consider it. Once Brees left the Chargers this week, he started looking for his new home.

After Brees makes his visit to the Dolphins, his future should be settled by Sunday night.

The Dolphins seem to be using Sunday as their main day to make the final determination on their big quarterback move of the offseason. With the Titans and Raiders out of the trade bidding for Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper, the Dolphins are the lone team still left in the mix.

Though the Dolphins are unwilling to give up a second-round choice for Culpepper, they still are a player for him. One of Saban's many quick shuttles on the plane Saturday was to see Culpepper. They have several players in for visits in Miami Saturday, but Saban was away and told them that his priority was settling the quarterback situations.
On Sunday, the Dolphins have to either come up with a contract for Brees or make a trade for Culpepper.

per John Clayton

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
yeah i can't blame him either, $2 million is like cheap change for a QB

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl said:
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:38:38 -0800

Harvey Fialkov and Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports free agent QB Drew Brees (Chargers) turned down a six-year, $50 million contract because only $2 million of it was guaranteed, according to a report in the San Diego Union-Tribune. The Chargers only guaranteed $2 million because of the uncertain status of his surgically repaired right shoulder.
I'm assuming that the $2 million was a guaranteed signing bonus. Regardless of his health status, that would be pretty insulting to an NFL starting quarterback.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Nice Job San Diego...Short change the guy with Guaranteed money after he gets injured for you.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
That is a slap in the face! I would be outta there like a burgler too!!

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
the DoNkEy PuNcH said:
And now the starting lineup for the 2006 New Orleans Saints. At quarterback, Drew Brees....

I don't know...the Dolphins are better team in a better town. If the money is comparable, I'd think he'd choose the fins.

we'll have to see eh?

Q_the_man

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Dolphins to make their QB move

On Sunday, the Dolphins have to either come up with a contract for Brees or make a trade for Culpepper.

per John Clayton
Clayton is so dumb, like the DOlphins have to sign one, is it a deadline on both these QBs why the rush

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
The contract offered by the Chargers was a 6 year deal but 5 years were voidable by the team. So basically they could void them and make it a one year deal screwing Brees

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Nice Job San Diego...Short change the guy with Guaranteed money after he gets injured for you.

Exactly. I can see the concern with the injury,but GEEZ, don't insult the guy.

48 million worth of incentives? Good luck gettin' some sleep Drew.

burmafrd

Reaction score
the idiot Charger GM has decided that Rivers is the next Brady and will win as fast as Rothslisberger. I will laugh so hard if Rivers turns out to be a bust.

notherbob

Reaction score
San Diego's negotiating tactics have been idiotic for years and I wouldn't expect anything different any time soon..

superpunk

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
The contract offered by the Chargers was a 6 year deal but 5 years were voidable by the team. So basically they could void them and make it a one year deal screwing Brees

I thought Brees was dead, and the Chargers had NO interest in resigning him?:laugh2:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
from PFT:

BREES DOESN'T WANT TO JOIN SAINTS

The scuttlebutt in league circles is that quarterback Drew Brees doesn't want to join the Saints, but that he's talking to them in the hopes of driving up the offer made by his preferred destination, the Miami Dolphins.

Word is that the Saints envision Brees as a short-term starter who would handle the job while Matt Leinart or Vince Young or Jay Cutler get ready to play. As a result, the Saints are offering the kind of deal that Kurt Warner signed two seasons ago in New York as Eli Manning got ready to play -- a two-year contract that is essentially a one-year deal.

The problem is that the Fins don't want to pay the same kind of money in 2006 that the Saints are willing to invest. Instead, Miami is giving Brees the opportunity to earn big money over the long term.

So the Saints are banking on Brees' shoulder being fully healed in time for the 2006 season, and the Dolphins are being more cautious.

In the end, Brees' best play might be to take less money in the short term with an organization that is far better equipped to succeed over the long haul.​

burmafrd

Reaction score
stay away from that toilet that is NO. No QB has ever been able to win there.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
from PFT:

BREES DOESN'T WANT TO JOIN SAINTS

The scuttlebutt in league circles is that quarterback Drew Brees doesn't want to join the Saints, but that he's talking to them in the hopes of driving up the offer made by his preferred destination, the Miami Dolphins.

Word is that the Saints envision Brees as a short-term starter who would handle the job while Matt Leinart or Vince Young or Jay Cutler get ready to play. As a result, the Saints are offering the kind of deal that Kurt Warner signed two seasons ago in New York as Eli Manning got ready to play -- a two-year contract that is essentially a one-year deal.

The problem is that the Fins don't want to pay the same kind of money in 2006 that the Saints are willing to invest. Instead, Miami is giving Brees the opportunity to earn big money over the long term.

So the Saints are banking on Brees' shoulder being fully healed in time for the 2006 season, and the Dolphins are being more cautious.

In the end, Brees' best play might be to take less money in the short term with an organization that is far better equipped to succeed over the long haul.​
I bet the Saints and Dolphins enjoy reading this. Nothing like giving them reasons to lower their offers because you're heart is on your sleeve.

:grin: