Chargers Grant RB Austin Ekeler Permission to Seek Trade, per Report

joseephuss

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/14/chargers-austin-ekeler-permission-trade-request

Chargers Grant RB Austin Ekeler Permission to Seek Trade, per Report​

Chargers running back Austin Ekeler has been granted permission to seek a trade away from the organization, according to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Los Angeles and its veteran running back were reportedly unable to come to an agreement over a new contract, prompting Ekeler's agent, Cameron Weiss, to request permission to seek a trade.

T-RO

Reaction score
I completely understand this from Ekeler's perspective, but it's a bummer for my Chargers.

Now drafting a RB in first 2 days of draft may become essential

Aven8

Reaction score
All this dude does is produce. Would be sweet combo with TP

Big D

Reaction score
The first thing I said to myself when the Chargers hired Kellen was "I bet Ekeler is pissed!" :laugh:.

Flamma

Reaction score
I completely understand this from Ekeler's perspective, but it's a bummer for my Chargers.

Now drafting a RB in first 2 days of draft may become essential
Sometimes these players get caught up in their estimated market value. Most do get close to it or more, but recently I've been seeing higher than usual market values. This guy is a 12.8M market value. For a 28 year old RB? No one is paying him that. Don't be surprised if the Chargers end up re-signing him.

Just recently Darius Slay did the same. Was given permission to seek other teams, came crawling back for 5M under his market value. That's the most I've seen someone take under market value.

T-RO

Reaction score
Sometimes these players get caught up in their estimated market value. Most do get close to it or more, but recently I've been seeing higher than usual market values. This guy is a 12.8M market value. For a 28 year old RB? No one is paying him that. Don't be surprised if the Chargers end up re-signing him.

Just recently Darius Slay did the same. Was given permission to seek other teams, came crawling back for 5M under his market value. That's the most I've seen someone take under market value.

Ekeler has the McCaffrey factor. In other words, lots of value as a receiver. That can push some of these guys up the value board. Caught over 100 balls this past season.

Flamma

Reaction score
Ekeler has the McCaffrey factor. In other words, lots of value as a receiver. That can push some of these guys up the value board. Caught over 100 balls this past season.
I agree with you. He's really good. I just don't think the Chargers want to pay him almost 13M a year. I don't think any team will.

khiladi

Reaction score
The first thing I said to myself when the Chargers hired Kellen was "I bet Ekeler is pissed!" :laugh:.

No, it’s purely about money. He’s around 15th in value in terms of RBs.

And the Chargers under Lombardi didn’t run the ball. 30th in yards and 28th in attempts and 30 Y/A. Lombardi may have been the absolute worst OC in the NFL,

One of the reasons they gave for Moore is because he actually runs the ball. And let’s be honest here. The OL coach with Moore was Philbin, who was McCarthy’s right hand man wherever he went. Moore is just the latest scapegoat in the land of Dak.

It’s also not Moore fault when Dak is under center, everybody knows he’s going to run, because he sucks throwing from a traditional drop back from under center.

Any Rb in Charger-land that has talent worth a dime is going to feast with teams focused on defending the passing attack of Herbert and Moore. This may be the most explosive offense in years, based on what is on paper at this moment.

Big D

Reaction score
No, it’s purely about money. He’s around 15th in value in terms of RBs.

And the Chargers under Lombardi didn’t run the ball. 30th in yards and 28th in attempts and 30 Y/A. Lombardi may have been the absolute worst OC in the NFL,

One of the reasons they gave for Moore is because he actually runs the ball. And let’s be honest here. The OL coach with Moore was Philbin, who was McCarthy’s right hand man wherever he went. Moore is just the latest scapegoat in the land of Dak.

It’s also not Moore fault when Dak is under center, everybody knows he’s going to run, because he sucks throwing from a traditional drop back from under center.

Any Rb in Charger-land that has talent worth a dime is going to feast with teams focused on defending the passing attack of Herbert and Moore. This may be the most explosive offense in years, based on what is on paper at this moment.
Moore cut his own throat with his inability to understand basic situational football. Good luck San Diego.