Chargers May Hold Gates from Season Opener VS Dallas

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
well i bet by staturday he will sing the tender, he will play bottom line
He'd be crazy to sign that tender. If he goes off and gets injured in a pre-season game he'll have cost himself 10's of millions. Not just from a selfish point of view, Gates should hold out until he gets a reasonable offer. Nuff said.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Why should they give him big cotract after one good year. We slam TO for doing it after one year but not Gates after 2years and 1 good one. TO at least has proven he can do it over a period of time.

Dont get me wrong. I think TO is an idiot and doesnt deserve a new contract but I dont think Gates should get one after 2 years.

Witten and Gates have had similar 2 years and he isnt holding out.

jsj6791

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
He'd be crazy to sign that tender. If he goes off and gets injured in a pre-season game he'll have cost himself 10's of millions. Not just from a selfish point of view, Gates should hold out until he gets a reasonable offer. Nuff said.

Well, I guess he is half crazy then. Because He was with the team all through out the off season training including the mini camp without the contract.

Reaction score
These bastids are ruining the game. The majority of the people they represent are still wet behind the ears kids who fall hook, line, and sinker for their schpiel, much like an 18 year old buying a POS used car from a slick talking car salesman. Hell yes Gates deserves more than he's getting, but is it right for him to hurt the team to achieve his (agents) goals? That's what these 'agents' are striving to take out of the equasion - dedication to anything but them. Is our society so caught up in the chase for the almighty dollar that team loyalty - something that's been instilled in these kids since they first started playing ball - is nothing more than an afterthought? I hope and pray the guy's held out of game 1, anything to help us get a W. Don't see it happening though. It's a bluff. The Charger's know exactly what he means to the organization. He'll be there opening day. To do anything else would be insane.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
The letter also states that for every preseason and regular season game he misses after Saturday's game, he will be sat for an extra game. In other words, if Gates does not sign his tender until after the preseason, he will miss the first three games of the season, as the contract impasse between the two sides now hits another level. He will also not receive a game check for those games he is forced to sit.

For the games Gates is forced to miss, he will be held off the team's 53-man roster.
I'm not sure how they can get away with this crap. If he signs and has a contract then the only way they can keep him off the 53 man roster is to cut him and make him a FA. And if he is on the 53 man roster and has a contract they have to pay him regardless of whether or not he is active for the games. The NFLPA had better be all over this one because it goes against everything that I understand about the CBA.

As for whether or not Gates deserves a new contract I think he does. However, he has not yet earned the right to try and hold them up for superstar money. By the same token they are totally wrong to offer him the chump change they are offering and trying to strong arm him into signing their cheezie contract.

If I were Gates I'd sign the contract and go play. Then next year be a FA and tell SD to go screw themselves unless they offer something truly outrageous.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Little Jr said:
Why should they give him big cotract after one good year. We slam TO for doing it after one year but not Gates after 2years and 1 good one. TO at least has proven he can do it over a period of time.

Dont get me wrong. I think TO is an idiot and doesnt deserve a new contract but I dont think Gates should get one after 2 years.

TO has a contract...Gates does NOT have a contract. Totally different situation.

Witten also has a contract in place where Gates does not. Again a totally different situation.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Little Jr said:

The difference is TO signed a 7 year deal last year with like 8 million in year one

Gates played the last 2 season for league minimum and now is not under contract. He is an ERFA and is trying to get a deal San Diego is refusing to negotiate with the player unless he signs a 1 year 380k contract. IMO thats not negotiating in good faith.

Little Jr

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
The difference is TO signed a 7 year deal last year with like 8 million in year one

Gates played the last 2 season for league minimum and now is not under contract. He is an ERFA and is trying to get a deal San Diego is refusing to negotiate with the player unless he signs a 1 year 380k contract. IMO thats not negotiating in good faith.

Well this is my point. I hate to see players have one good year and then want to be one of the highest paid at thier position. The point I was making with TO was at least he has proven what he could do on the field for a while now. Enouhg of TO. It's making me sick half a55 defending him.

While I'm the subject. Sometimes I hear fans say that it's not fair for the teams to be able to cut a player anytime they want and that is why some fans take the side of the player on some situations.

Sorry but I have no sympathy for any player. As far as I'm concern it's no difference than me and my job. My job isn't a guranteee. At any time I do not perform up to the task, they can fire me.

God has blessed them with what they have. If they was to lose there job most of them have thier degrees and can move on to somthing else. Degrees that was paid for because they were blessed with what they have. If I lose mine I'm screwed.

I hate the hear that they need a long term deal before the report becasue the could get hurt and end thirr career. Yeah!! I think I'll go into my job and tell them I need a raise becasue my job is dangerous and I could get hurt.

Sorry I just cant feel sorry for millionairs who had thier college paid for. I dont feel sorry for the ones who make the league minimum.

Why I say this is this. I wrote it like I have a job so I could make a point but I dont . I was fired 2 months ago for reasons unknown right now. Still dealing with that. But nothing pisses me off more than to wake up every morning and bust may a55 looking for jobs and then hear some player crying about millions. Let them explain to thier 3 year old why daddy cant take him somewhere becasue he's broke. Let them tell thier 3 yr old they can't come see daddy because his lights got turned off. Trust me. They will never have to do what I have done the past 2 months.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Little Jr said:
Well this is my point. I hate to see players have one good year and then want to be one of the highest paid at thier position. The point I was making with TO was at least he has proven what he could do on the field for a while now. Enouhg of TO. It's making me sick half a55 defending him.

While I'm the subject. Sometimes I hear fans say that it's not fair for the teams to be able to cut a player anytime they want and that is why some fans take the side of the player on some situations.

Sorry but I have no sympathy for any player. As far as I'm concern it's no difference than me and my job. My job isn't a guranteee. At any time I do not perform up to the task, they can fire me.

God has blessed them with what they have. If they was to lose there job most of them have thier degrees and can move on to somthing else. Degrees that was paid for because they were blessed with what they have. If I lose mine I'm screwed.

I hate the hear that they need a long term deal before the report becasue the could get hurt and end thirr career. Yeah!! I think I'll go into my job and tell them I need a raise becasue my job is dangerous and I could get hurt.

Sorry I just cant feel sorry for millionairs who had thier college paid for. I dont feel sorry for the ones who make the league minimum.

Why I say this is this. I wrote it like I have a job so I could make a point but I dont . I was fired 2 months ago for reasons unknown right now. Still dealing with that. But nothing pisses me off more than to wake up every morning and bust may a55 looking for jobs and then hear some player crying about millions. Let them explain to thier 3 year old why daddy cant take him somewhere becasue he's broke. Let them tell thier 3 yr old they can't come see daddy because his lights got turned off. Trust me. They will never have to do what I have done the past 2 months.

I have no problem with a player that played for nothing and put up all pro numbers asking for a raise.

To low ball him and attempting to force the issue is stupid on their part. Let's see what kind of year Brees has without him. Let's see how much harder it is for LT to run with the safeties not having to worry about the TE.

Little Jr

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
I have no problem with a player that played for nothing and put up all pro numbers asking for a raise.

To low ball him and attempting to force the issue is stupid on their part. Let's see what kind of year Brees has without him. Let's see how much harder it is for LT to run with the safeties not having to worry about the TE.

I have a problem with it after one year of all pro #'s.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Little Jr said:
I have a problem with it after one year of all pro #'s.

Shockey has gotten all pro money and not put up all pro numbers.

Vick just signed a huge contract and has never put up the numbers to live up to it.

High draft picks all get paid based on what they might do. This is a guy getting minimum at the end of his contract, that just had a fantastic year, and he is still learning the position.

It is beyond stupid for SD to not renegotiate this contract.

Beyond stupid.

Little Jr

Reaction score
blindzebra said:

Vick just signed a huge contract and has never put up the numbers to live up to it.

High draft picks all get paid based on what they might do. This is a guy getting minimum at the end of his contract, that just had a fantastic year, and he is still learning the position.

Beyond stupid.

I agree with you on Shockey and Vick. I'll just agree to disagree on the Gates situation.

jsj6791

Reaction score
blindzebra said:

Beyond stupid.

Again, did you read the article by John Clayton that I posted? It is the "Chargers" who started renegotiation back in last November. And how can you say that roughly 4mil. a year is a chump change, when it is slightly less than 4.33/yr Tony Gonzalez's making. The problem is, Gates and his agent are asking for 3yr. term which the Chargers can't do, because the bonus spread out 3yr is too high to manage the cap in the future. And no doubt they don't want Gates to walk away as a free agent after that.

I do wish Gates get all the money he thinks he deserves, because I really don't think he is a one year wonder, but to say that he can hold Chargers hostage by sitting out the TC while a decent offer is in place is ridiculous.

Scotman

Reaction score
This kid doesn't have a contract. He played well. Most any team would like to have him. Totally different that TO or any hold out wanted to renegotiate, IMO.

I don't think this is going to effect our game with them. We'll have a tough time with SD with or without him.

I think this hurts them during the draft and also during the free agency period. If you were a young player, would you want to sign with them?

All that said, if they have offered him a contract just short of Gonzo's, he's making a mistake. But the PR of the whole situation hurts SD and that's why his agent is pushing this.

jsj6791

Reaction score
Scotman said:
I think this hurts them during the draft and also during the free agency period. If you were a young player, would you want to sign with them?

I really don't know how you can come up with this statement without knowing how our GM handled the past contracts. Since our new GM, AJ Smith, was in charge of the FO for past 3yrs, there has never been a player holdout until Gates. His motto is, instead of paying the free agents, keep the in-house player by rewarding them. Just this year alone, he gave raise to Jamal Williams, Steve Foley, and Keenan Mccardell(especially when Tampa Bay weren't willing to renegotiate his cotract). I am not even gonna get into the highest paid RB contract given to Tomlinson this past year. Also, Rivers is the only draft pick that held out for considerable amount of time during his tenure. I don't remember having him trouble signing Merriman when everybody thought he will be the longest holdout, do you?

Knowing the Chargers history, I will be the first one to admit when they are being cheap, as they have done so plenty prior to AJ Smith, but I have to side with the Chargers on this one as they have offered him more than a fair contract based on a one great year.