Charles Robinson of Yahoo! gives Dallas a B

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-nfcdraftgrades043007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

NFC EAST

Dallas Cowboys: They did some top-notch wheeling and dealing with Cleveland and Philadelphia. When the first day was all said and done, Dallas basically slid back four spots in the first round, from 22 to 26, and gave up a third- and fifth-round pick for Cleveland's first-rounder next year. That was an "A+" maneuver. Too bad the rest of the draft class didn't live up to that move. Two seventh-rounders at cornerback? They had to do better than that. And some scouts think plodding offensive tackle James Marten could be a big bust. On the positive side? Anthony Spencer could be Wade Phillips' next Shaun Phillips; offensive tackle Doug Free could be a sleeper in the fourth, and kicker Nick Folk could finally shore up that weakness. :D

sago1

Reaction score
Love Spencer & have very high hopes for Free. Like the Brown pick & can live with the Folk pick. Would have preferred someone other then Marten in 3rd round when there still lots of players we could have used. Same goes for our first pick in 4th round when we took Stanbach. There were much better players on the board who could have helped us this year. Can only hope Anderson becomes the FB we need in Garrett's offense. And the Ball pick came out of left field.

This team had the opportunity to draft better. Jerry's too much a homer. If we want to win the SB, we must be prepared to beat NE who has loaded up this year. This draft didn't move us much further along on that path

Gaede

Reaction score
that's a fair grade, I agree with it. I have my doubts about Marten, to be honest. Not sure if he's athletic enough. But the great thing is, he has everything else you need to succeed--experience, smarts, mean streak, good school. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, even though the pick reminds me of Peterman a couple years back.

The Free pick is awesome, absolutely love it. Hate the kicker, Ball (but really, what are you gonna get at this point?). Brown and Stanback have huge ceilings, and are great risks. I have a feeling Anderson will be a starter, from day one. Same with Spencer (a great pick that really doesn't get the attention it deserves)

B is fair, all things considered

snapper

Reaction score
JakeCamp12;1481076 said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-nfcdraftgrades043007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

NFC EAST

Dallas Cowboys: They did some top-notch wheeling and dealing with Cleveland and Philadelphia. When the first day was all said and done, Dallas basically slid back four spots in the first round, from 22 to 26, and gave up a third- and fifth-round pick for Cleveland's first-rounder next year. That was an "A+" maneuver. Too bad the rest of the draft class didn't live up to that move. Two seventh-rounders at cornerback? They had to do better than that. And some scouts think plodding offensive tackle James Marten could be a big bust. On the positive side? Anthony Spencer could be Wade Phillips' next Shaun Phillips; offensive tackle Doug Free could be a sleeper in the fourth, and kicker Nick Folk could finally shore up that weakness. :D

Yes, I can see Marten as being a bust if he never earns a starting job. If, however these scouts define "bust" as never making the Pro Bowl, then I would disagree. If he earns a starting job in his second year and becomes a solid tackle for ten-plus years, then I would consider him a good pick.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm personally trying to figure out who we can use.

Oline seems okay, and we got several olinemen to help - they will be backups.
We have a huge front 3 with depth - no need there
We have a big NT in Ferguson - I guess we could've added a backup (whoopie)

We added a serious pass rushing LB - stacked at LB

Henry/Newman/Glenn are still pretty darn good - with pass rush, who knows?
BTW, whomever we would've drafted, would not have started for at least a year or 2 there.

WE have 2 FS, we only need 1 of them to be solid.

RBs, we have 2 pretty good ones -

2 Stud receivers (both healthy) - pretty good third in Crayton, and Hurd/Austin breathing down Crayton's neck

2 Good TE, atleast one is pro-bowl material

Drafted a FB, plus a converted LB who's not bad.

Stud punter,

2 kickers, legitimate kind.

QB - who's not looking over his sholders, and if he doesn't pan out, we have 2 1st rounders, we are in position to get whatever we'd like.

Return guys - Newman/Stanback (sp?) / Austin /

I'm still trying to figure out a position we're trying to upgrade.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with his grade and this is going to sound stupid coming from me (because it is), but...

...who the heck is Charles Robinson and what's his background in the NFL? Every year, we get draft grades from guys (and gals) working out of major media outlets, but seldom do we read where actual NFL people make their opinions publicly known.

Sorry about the rant. :eek:: I keep seeing a certain pic of Rich Eisen and it sets me off sometimes. :mad: :rolleyes: :)

DBoys

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1481141 said:
Dallas VS New England in the Superbowl? Sounds like the matchup of the decade!

We get a preview in Texas Stadium :)

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I don't understand the knock for taking 2 DBs. In case they didn't notice, pass defense was a bit of an issue. At the same time you're not going to draft a CB in the first unless you want to move Henry to FS. So you grab some guys in the 7th and if either can make the team, great. If not, no loss. Now we have another year to evaluate Watkins and Hamlin while not great can at least play the position correctly.

LD Fan

Reaction score
baj1dallas;1481514 said:
I don't understand the knock for taking 2 DBs. In case they didn't notice, pass defense was a bit of an issue.

Because knocking other people is why some people are on here at all.

LD Fan

Reaction score
Free was graded out as a possible 1st day pick. I saw him graded as a top 5 OT on 3 different services. If you don't like Marten, just pretend you got Free in the 3rd.