Chiefs release LB Erik Walden...claimed by Fins

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Heard it on Talkin Cowboys and found this blurb. I'd like to see the Cowboys get him back.

Chiefs Subtract Dantrell Savage and Add Three More

arrowhead_pride_tiny.gif
by Chris on Nov 19, 2008 1:44 PM CST in Campaign 2008
H/T bas in the FanPosts.
Today, the Kansas City Chiefs officially added DE Andy Studebaker and LB Curtis Gatewood to the 53 man roster.
The Chiefs also promoted Jackie Battle from the practice squad to the 53 man roster and added DT Antwon Burton to the practice squad.
Gatewood (6-2, 248) signed with Washington as a rookie free agent out of Vanderbilt in 2008. He appeared in three preseason contests with the Commanders before being released. He has spent nine weeks on Washington’s practice squad this season. The Memphis, Tennessee native played in 47 games (24 starts) and tallied 110 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss, and 10.5 sacks in his four-year career at Vanderbilt. Gatewood was a Class 5A first team all-region selection and defensive MVP as a prep at White Station High School in Memphis, Tennessee.
Studebaker (6-3, 248) was the third of Philadelphia’s three sixth-round draft choices (203rd overall) in the 2008 NFL Draft. The Wheaton College (IL) product spent the last 11 weeks on Philadelphia’s practice squad. He appeared in all four of the Eagles preseason tilts and, but was released prior to the start of the regular season.
Burton (6-2, 308) has seen duty in seven NFL contests over the last two seasons with Denver, tallying nine tackles (five solo). He originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with Denver in 2006, spending time on the Broncos practice squad before joining the 53-man roster for the final eight games of the 2006 season. Burton saw his most extensive NFL action a season ago, appearing in six contests and registering eight tackles (five solo) before spending the final seven weeks of 2007 on Denver’s developmental squad. He attended training camp with Cincinnati in 2008, but was released prior to the start of the regular season.
To make room for these additions, the Chiefs released RB Dantrell Savage and LB Erik Walden. They also put DE Turk McBride on the injured reserve list.

We'll take Savage's release as a sign that the Chiefs are satisfied with rookie KR Kevin Robinson. As for Savage, he wasn't no better than anyone else the Chiefs had at returner this year.
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2008/11/19/665547/chiefs-subtract-dantrell-s

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Right on, Speed. KC had him as a DE, but he's too small for that. He's perfect for the 34 OLB that we had him at.

Supposedly several teams put claims on him the first time we waived him, so I don't know if he'd get to us.

I like Polk, but he's old now and maybe this would be a good replacement.

Number82

No Helmet; No Problem
Reaction score
I would love to bring Walden back. I think he was/is a good fit for us as a 3-4 OLB.

Did they promote the former Cowboy Jackie Battle?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
many wanted us to sign Studebaker

wouldn't mind bringing back Walden, release Justin Rogers instead of Polk

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2430763 said:
many wanted us to sign Studebaker

wouldn't mind bringing back Walden, release Justin Rogers instead of Polk

I'd be fine with that. He's pretty good on special teams, but we know he won't ever develop into a player on defense. Walden would at least have a chance to, IMO.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
We wanted to put him on the PS. I suspect KC will try and resign him and do the same.

I wouldn't mind it at all.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Number82;2430761 said:
I would love to bring Walden back. I think he was/is a good fit for us as a 3-4 OLB.

Did they promote the former Cowboy Jackie Battle?

Walden ok with me I guess.

Battle and the Cowboys reached an injury settlement end of Aug. He then signed right away with KC. He just signed a three year deal with KC.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
i wanted Gatewood late in the draft and then as a UDFA. unfortunately, it didnt work out.

i hope we can get Walden back. I am all for cutting Rogers. I would also be for bringing George to the 53 man roster, even if it means getting rid of Crapenter. Honestly, Walden and George could be no worse than Rogers and Crapenter.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2431150 said:
Parcells has no use for him, the guy will never see the field but he stopped Dallas from getting him back.
I've got no idea if Walden can play, but the fact that Parcells has him is enough to piss me off.

I still don't understand why we drafted him.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That's weird, because Walden is nowhere near big enough for Parcells' OLB prototype. Not even close. Guess he just sees him as a special teamer.

Or maybe he figures he can get something in trade from Jerry. :eek::

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Wade has always said that Walden could move to ILB, so its possible that he could be moved there in Miami.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hey, Speed... I can't remember, and maybe you know offhand... But doesn't the waiver claiming order start off being based on last year's record, but at some point it switches to record of the current year?

Just curious if he almost got to us, or if Miami was #1 on the list like they were for the draft.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2431242 said:
That's weird, because Walden is nowhere near big enough for Parcells' OLB prototype. Not even close. Guess he just sees him as a special teamer.

Or maybe he figures he can get something in trade from Jerry. :eek::

:laugh1: