Chiefs scouting from a KC native.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I live in KC, so I've seen pretty much every Chiefs game that last 15 years. So, I'll just give a short idea of how I think the Cowboys need to go about attacking them.

On Defense: Blitz! Blitz! Blitz! They have to put pressure on Green. They have a great OL, and if Green can just sit back there, he'll eventually find someone. The teams that have had the most success against the Chiefs this year are those that blitzed frequently, particularly up the middle and off the right side. Teams had success on the left side too, but that was without Roaf. They do a lot of running to the outside, so they have a lot of pulling lineman. We need to use the blitz to get through the gaps and get behind the line of scrimmage. The outside linebackers must maintain contain as Johnson will try to take the play back the other way sometimes if there is nothing there. We need a lot of man to man on the corners. Newman and Glenn can handle Kennison and Hall/Parker. The safeties and a LB need to take out Tony G. More than anything though, is to constantly blitz and put pressure on Green.

On Offense: Attack the deep middle. We have to go after their safeties. They're playing pretty good run D, so that probably won't be the best option most of the time. Though when we do run, quick tosses, or counters might work well. Gunther likes his D to be aggressive, so there is a chance they'll overpersue. But our best bet are going to be things like deep posts, Witten down the seam, deep crossing patterns, those sort of things. The CBs will probably handle fly patterns ok, and usually plays to the outside as well. Their weakness is in the secondary in the middle of the field.

On STs: Coffin corner punts when punting from their side of the field. High hangtime punts at other times, even if it sacrifices a little distance. Same thing on KOs. Make FGs, try to block theirs. That's about all I can say on that.

On another note. Does anyone think this team would do better not having a bye week (not that it'll happen this year) than they would if they had one? Both times this year after the team had extended time off, they came out completely flat in 2 very big games. If that's how they play after some rest, then I say work them like dogs, no Tuesdays off the rest of the way. Work, work, work. Pretty disappointing that Parcells can't get them ready for the big games...I said it at the beginning of the year, and I still feel it now (if not more so) that anything less than 11-5 is a failure by the coaches, barring major injuries. They have to win out now to go 11-5, so in my eyes, this season is pretty close to being a ruined by poor coaching. 10-6 or whatever would be fine if that came with making some serious noise in the Playoffs, but that's it.

TunaFan33

Benched
Reaction score
Not really-this is the first time since the JJ era that we're FINALLY building a foundation.

The D is there now. Frankly-we really need to concentrate on the O-line in Jan, than trying to duke it out against teams like Chicago and Carolina.

Not trying to throw in the towel or anything, but this team is around 2 or so years away from being a true contender. Let's sort our issues FIRST.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
TunaFan33 said:
Not really-this is the first time since the JJ era that we're FINALLY building a foundation.

The D is there now. Frankly-we really need to concentrate on the O-line in Jan, than trying to duke it out against teams like Chicago and Carolina.

Not trying to throw in the towel or anything, but this team is around 2 or so years away from being a true contender. Let's sort our issues FIRST.

Were alot closer than two years away. Heck, I hope we are because frankely I dont see Big Bill staying on for that long unless he feels he may get board during retirement.

One player playing poorly on the offensive line can be like a domino effect, can trickle down to each of the players because they have to all over-compensate for weak play of others and we have 2 guys that are struggling.

I think Rivera and Allen will be fine. Once you get Flozell Adams back, you try to find either a Tackle in the draft, maybe two, depending on what Big Bill thinks of Petitti's upside.

The sad thing is, I was hoping this draft would be the draft we finally go after that #1 receiver, but that definately has to wait.

ChiefsGirl

Reaction score
ChldsPlay said:
I live in KC, so I've seen pretty much every Chiefs game that last 15 years. So, I'll just give a short idea of how I think the Cowboys need to go about attacking them.

Where did your parents go wrong that you could grow up in KC, watch every game for 15 years and NOT be a Chiefs fan. Sad, someone should have contacted Child Protective Services a long time ago.

j/k :D

Ashwynn

Reaction score
ChiefsGirl said:
Where did your parents go wrong that you could grow up in KC, watch every game for 15 years and NOT be a Chiefs fan. Sad, someone should have contacted Child Protective Services a long time ago.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ChiefsGirl said:

We could prolly say the same about you. How the heck can you live in Plano and not be a Cowboy fan? :eek:

BTW, welcome to the zone. Enjoy your stay here....

at least until Sun... :)

ChiefsGirl

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
We could prolly say the same about you. How the heck can you live in Plano and not be a Cowboy fan? :eek:

BTW, welcome to the zone. Enjoy your stay here....

at least until Sun... :)

I'm transplanted. Grew up in KC, moved to Texas a few years ago.

Thanks for the welcome.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
ChiefsGirl said:
I'm transplanted. Grew up in KC, moved to Texas a few years ago.

Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to the Zone, you will love this professionally run site!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CrazyCowboy said:
Welcome to the Zone, you will love this professionally run site!
U highly overrate Brain and Juke's mod skills... :)

GoChiefs

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend blitzing too much. We're pretty good at picking it up and hitting the open man lately.

Other than that, spot on post.

te0002

Reaction score
I'd love to see the Cowboys exploit a weak Chiefs secondary, but with the play of the OL I don't see Bledsoe having enough time to thorw a lot of deep patterns.

GoChiefs

Reaction score
te0002 said:
I'd love to see the Cowboys exploit a weak Chiefs secondary, but with the play of the OL I don't see Bledsoe having enough time to thorw a lot of deep patterns.

I am telling you right now our secondary is not as weak as you think. Warfield and Surtain are two very good corners, and our safeties are solid, too. Wesley has 6 interceptions and Knight is smart as a whip if a bit slow.

Yes the ranking looks bad but that ranking is skewed because when Warfield was suspended, Dexter McCleon was starting and the secondary just sucked as a result...teams just picked on him all game.

Since McCleon left it has been much, much better. Now granted last week was a hiccup, but Bledsoe isn't going to run around like Jake the Snake.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

j/k

Hehe, well, I wasn't as into football when I was younger. I enjoyed playing it in the backyard but didn't really care about the NFL. And when I was a wee one, the Chiefs were horrible, so pretty much nobody in KC cared either. I did however love baseball, and the Royals, and Bo Jackson. So as I got a little older and got more into football, I was a Raiders fan, because of Bo mainly. So, from that came a strong dislike for everything Chiefs. Then of course Bo got hurt, and so I didn't think much of the Raiders anymore. The Cowboys caught my eye, and I started getting much more interested in football at the same time. My dislike for the Chiefs has pretty much faded. I'm more indifferent to them now, though I suppose I do hope they win more often than not, just because it makes it more interesting up here in KC when they're winning than it does when they're losing. But I've got about 13-14 years with the Cowboys now, and a lot more to go. It'll be fun (I hope) driving down to Dallas this weekend to go to the game. Hopefully a lot better than it was in '98 when they played here. At least I got to go to that game for free. Gonna be over $500 this time for tickets/hotel/gas.

jay cee

Reaction score
ChiefsGirl said:

LOL :lmao2:

Now that's the way you are supposed to come into the opposing teams forum.