Chris Marinelli - OT - Stanford

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Marinelli was one of the top recruits in the Northeast as a two-way star and his father, uncle and cousin all played football at the Division 1AA level.
Marinelli sat out the 2005 season, but came on as a redshirt freshman, starting five of the last six games of the 2006 season at right tackle to earn a spot on the All-Pac-10 Freshman team. He then started all but one game over 2007 and '08, earning honorable mention all-conference honors after both seasons.
He started the Cardinal's first game in 2009 at left guard before moving back to the familiar right tackle spot, and was named first-team All-Pac-10.
He has the versatility to play guard or tackle at the next level, thanks to his intelligence, size, strength, foot speed and nasty streak. That's a lot of things for NFL offensive line coaches to like -- so he should be selected in the mid-to-late rounds of April's draft.

Analysis Pass blocking: Textbook knee bend and angled, short steps when set up in pass protection. Mirrors very well, extends his arm and resets to punch and keep defender at bay. Good balance and armbar to prevent ends from using inside moves to get to the quarterback. Gets down quickly on cut blocks but needs to get more into his man's thigh to get him on the ground. Adjusts well to twists, moves out to get in front of tackle and stands strong. Needs to be more aware of blitzing linebackers if his man's inside shoulder. Shorter, powerful ends can get into his chest on occasion and knock him back, especially when he keeps his pads too tall.

Run blocking: Drives off the snap and keeps his legs

churning to push the pile on blocks inside. Anchors well, very strong at the point of attack. Combos from the tackle to linebacker fluidly and with strength. Able to turn his man out of the hole. Will take his man ten yards downfield once attached, if given the chance. Gets his hands up from a three-point stance quickly enough to push fast ends and blitzing linebackers around the pocket to prevent penetration on run blitzes. Works to keep his man on the ground if the defender loses his balance.

Pulling/trapping: Did not pull or trap a lot for Stanford, but had trouble moving behind the line or in front of outside runs when asked. Best moving straight off the snap, not turning to run laterally.

Initial Quickness: Good reaction to cadence, one of the first into his pass set. Gets off quickly on run plays, usually stoning or driving back his man. Does not get out-quicked off the snap very often.

Downfield: Does not have elite quickness but has enough agility to get to the second level and is adept at hitting his target. Quick to come off a block to adjust to late oncomer, usually takes him out of the play. Could hustle more to help block downfield on short passes and runs.

Intangibles: Intelligent player that plays with a bit of a nasty streak. Cleans up piles and won't back down when challenged. Strong, vocal leader. Father worked for Local 88 Tunnels Workers Union for 30 years, and the offensive line took on that nickname for their group before the season because of its blue-collar attitude.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This guy seems like a real steal in the 7th.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Apparently he lives down the street from my brother who has met him. Said he is nice guy and very big.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
I just have one problem....I can't find any reasons for him not being 1st round talent. All I've read about the guy is positives.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I mentioned his name to my brother and he his parents live a couple of houses down from him. His father does work for tunnels and my brother said that Chris is in Baltimore working out for the combine. He also reported that the entire family is very grounded with good values.