Clemens Emerges in Jets QB Battle

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Link

Rookie Clemens emerges in Jets' QB battle

Sunday, June 18, 2006 BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- After three days and five practices, the Jets have learned this about their quarterback situation: When you have four QBs on your roster who can make a case to be the starter, you really don't have a starting quarterback.

Instead of the situation coming into focus at the conclusion of the veterans' minicamp yesterday, it is more uncertain than ever.

In fact, rookie Kellen Clemens was the most impressive of the foursome, outperforming veterans Chad Pennington, Patrick Ramsey and Brooks Bollinger. And it wasn't even close as the media got its first up-close look of the competition.

Clemens, a second-round pick out of Oregon, displayed an exceptional arm, moxie and the leadership ability of a veteran. He has what people describe as "it."

But will rookie coach Eric Mangini have the fortitude to go with an untested, rookie quarterback in the pressure cooker that is the metropolitan area? He has plenty of time and the backing of GM Mike Tannenbaum and owner Woody Johnson, and it will be interesting to see what he does.

"Each guy is missing some things that you'd like them to see, and some guys are making some throws that you're really happy with," Mangini said. "This is just that period where they're getting used to the offense."

Pennington, coming off two shoulder surgeries in as many years, remains the favorite, mostly by default. He's smart and usually mistake-free, which is what Mangini wants because he hopes to win with defense. Pennington looked okay in drills but isn't 100 percent yet.

Ramsey, who was a tackling dummy in Washington under former coach Steve Spurrier, was a mild disappointment. He has the arm but missed several open receivers and his penchant for interceptions reared its ugly head. His frustration boiled over as he was visibly upset at times.

"You're out there competing and you want to do everything perfect every time," Ramsey said.

Bollinger, who appeared to be the whipping boy of the coaching staff, held his own during his turn with the first team in Mangini's rotation system on Friday afternoon. He made several impressive throws and will battle Ramsey for a roster spot. It's a given that Clemens and Pennington, who took a pay cut and will earn $3 million guaranteed, will make the final roster.

Mangini summed up his first minicamp this way: "Green but growing." He was pleased with the enthusiasm, focus, work ethic and eagerness of his veteran players.

Pro Bowl MLB Jonathan Vilma, who is at his best when blockers are kept off him and he's free to roam sideline to sideline, will again have to fight off 300-pound guards and centers in the Jets' new 3-4 defense. It's not the best fit for him but he's going with the flow.

"It (two-gaping and taking on blockers) isn't really a major factor because we can switch up and morph into whatever we want to do," Vilma said. "It won't be a big issue."

We'll see.

QB-turned-WR Brad Smith, a fourth-round pick, has been impressive. ... Rookie free-agent RB Stacy Tutt (Richmond) has raised some eyebrows. ... Third-year CB Derrick Strait quietly had a good camp, as did rookie RB Leon Washington and rookie CB Drew Coleman. ... The Jets start training camp July 28.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Clemens, a second-round pick out of Oregon, displayed an exceptional arm, moxie and the leadership ability of a veteran. He has what people describe as "it."
The competition is over. Their starting QB will be Clemens. Moxie means everything.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
moxie and the leadership ability of a veteran. He has what people describe as "it."

If we had traded Romo to the Jets last year they would have 2 QB's who would fit this description.

leotisbrown

Half Fast Analysis
Reaction score
LOL at Jets for being stupid to sign ex-Deaskin bust Ramsey. Talk about a stiff. I'll never not forget how Big Bill took him apart and sent him home crying for mamas warm milk by blitzing Spurer into a submis.

Hey that also the time that Spurer did that blubber lips thing like a cartoon charctor on national tv.

Anyones got a old video of that they can post at here-- would love to laugh at that Spurer blowing his lips around again like a baloon whats lost all its air from the needle poppings it.

Oh my that was a fun Monday nighter. I think I had a 5th of Jack Daniels by the end of the half after that I don't remeber two much cept that I was the life of the party!! Yee haa!!

I can't not weight til we play them against this year. I got me a feelings that they gonna go down hard!!

Ha ha ha!! I hate me some Skins!!

BlueWave

Reaction score
They should bring in Carter and Hutchinson to battle for a spot as well.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I will always wonder if Ramsay could have been good if he had landed elsewhere.

Angus

Reaction score
Clemens is the quarterback the Jets took in the draft spot traded to them by Dallas during the recent draft.

MONT17

Reaction score
did Parcells draft Penny? or was that the day Bilechik was running the team?

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
MONT17 said:
did Parcells draft Penny? or was that the day Bilechik was running the team?
Parcell's drafted Pennington with his last draft. The one when he was GM only.

That was the draft the Jets had 4 1st rounders

Shawn Ellis, John Abraham, Anthony Becht and Pennington.

Guess that didn't turn out so well after all.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
The Newark Star-Ledger reports Patrick Ramsey is battling Brooks Bollinger for a roster spot.

With second-round pick Kellen Clemens and Chad Pennington the only locks to make the roster, Ramsey's play has reportedly been disappointing and he's outwardly shown frustration with himself. Clemens has been the most impressive of the four quarterbacks competing.

Jun. 18 - 11:32 am et
Source: Newark Star-Ledger

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
The competition is over. Their starting QB will be Clemens. Moxie means everything.

yea, just ask stoerner.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
DallasEast said:
Jerry, you're bringing back old, bad memories from the DMN days. Quit it.

;)

heh - oops. sorry 'bout that. funny how many people still don't know iceberg = jerry from that board.

DGreenFan87

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Ramsey, who was a tackling dummy in Washington under former coach Steve Spurrier, was a mild disappointment. He has the arm but missed several open receivers and his penchant for interceptions reared its ugly head. His frustration boiled over as he was visibly upset at times.

::sigh:: glad we got rid of him