News: Cliff Avril acknowledges hit on Lockette was legal..Heath reaches out

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cliff Avril talks Ricardo Lockette injury on The Jim Rome Show
November 3, 2015 1:53 PM

Seattle Seahawks defensive end Cliff Avril has changed his mind on whether he thinks Dallas safety Jeff Heath crossed the line or not, but says such blocks shouldn’t be in the game.

“Initially I thought it was a dirty hit, but then, watching the film, [Lockette] kind of had time. He [saw] the guy coming, so in a split second, he could have maybe tried to absorb the hit, I don’t know,” Avril told The Jim Rome Show. “I think crack-backs should definitely be out of the game just for stuff like this. Sometimes guys don’t get to see it coming, and it could be even worse. But it was unfortunate. It was an unfortunate play, but Ricardo is doing better.”

Avril acknowledged players know what they sign up for when they play the game, but also mentioned the emotions of seeing someone laying on the field motionless.

More: http://jimrome.com/2015/11/03/cliff-avril-talks-ricardo-lockette-injury-on-the-jim-rome-show/

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It stinks he got hurt but it was clean. Standing on the Star doesn't get more visible.

GTate decleated SLee on a crackback that was brutal but legal. He got to his front.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cowboys safety Jeff Heath said he has reached out to Seattle receiver Ricardo Lockett but he has not heard back. Lockett had neck surgery after a hit by Heath on Sunday. In a text to Lockett, Heath said he reiterated his intent was not to hurt Lockett and he respected the way he played.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
th
Jim Rome still half a show???

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't know how a hit like that's avoided, does Heath just let him go by or grab him and try to hold him? I still cant believe he was fined.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I don't know how a hit like that's avoided, does Heath just let him go by or grab him and try to hold him? I still cant believe he was fined.

Being fined for legal plays is absolutely absurd. Ever get a ticket for going the speed limit?

This league is run by old men over there heads who resort to knee-jerk reactions instead of investigating and coming to educated conclusions. In other words, the more old and senile they get, the worse this league is going to look.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
All class by Heath. I don't remember a single Seahawk coming out and apologizing when Lee was blindsided.

when I saw the hit and the replays my reaction was "That was not a substantial hit." At least it did not look substantial. I think maybe the Seahawks player was hit and he was not braced for the hit.

xvendettax914

Reaction score
It stinks he got hurt but it was clean. Standing on the Star doesn't get more visible.

GTate decleated SLee on a crackback that was brutal but legal. He got to his front.

Tate was fined, so apparently not legal. Different type of hit.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I thought Heath actually held up a bit. Looked to me like he got both feet planted and leaned into it but didn't drive into it like he could have.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it's shown on NFL Films it's admirable. The warriors of yesteryear.

If it happens today it's like the worst thing in the world and we're offering counseling for everyone to get through it.

Pfffffft.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only Seahawk player that would have been obligated to reach out was Tate.

Right, who also said Lee should've had his head on a swivel. So yeah, three years after the fact, I'm sure Tate is still unapologetic.