Co-Defendant in Taylor Case Considering Plea

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Co-Defendant In Taylor Case Is Considering A Plea Deal

Tuesday, July 12, 2005; Page E02

The co-defendant in the criminal case involving Washington Commanders safety Sean Taylor planned to decide by today whether to testify against Taylor as part of a plea deal with the Miami-Dade state attorney's office, according to his attorney.

Ongoing discussions about a possible plea deal necessitated the second postponement of a preliminary hearing for Charles Elwood Caughman yesterday in Miami. The hearing was moved to this morning, and is expected to take place shortly before a preliminary hearing for Taylor in a separate courtroom of the Richard E. Gerstein Justice Building.

Commanders 2005

Joe Gibbs decided against retaining Larry Hill, who was hired before last season as a full-time replay official.
Carlos Rogers has a fractured foot, putting his status for the start of training camp in doubt.
Police investigate the shooting of a security guard at a rented mansion of LaVar Arrington.

Evan Hoffman , Caughman's attorney, said his client was considering all options, including going to trial and accepting a plea deal that would not involve being added to the prosecution's witness list in the Taylor case. Miami-Dade assistant state attorney Mike Grieco is prosecuting both cases.

"There are a lot of issues," Hoffman said moments after a brief appearance in front of Miami-Dade circuit judge Peter Adrien . "We could theoretically close our case [today]. . . . We have to figure out if we can do things on our terms."

Hoffman said by cell phone that, at the end of the business day, his client remained undecided. "It's going to be an 11th-hour decision," he said.

Caughman's decision could have a significant impact on Taylor's case in front of judge Mary Barzee . Taylor, 22, faces a felony charge of aggravated assault with a firearm and a misdemeanor charge of simple battery stemming from a June 1 altercation in Miami over Taylor's two stolen all-terrain vehicles. According to police reports, a violent confrontation took place after Taylor accused two men of stealing the vehicles.

Taylor, who entered a written not-guilty plea to the charges, is required to appear at today's hearing with his attorney, Edward Carhart .

Caughman, 19, of Baltimore, has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for allegedly wielding a bat during the incident.

-- Amy Shipley

pancakeman

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2106416

Washington Commanders safety Sean Taylor on Tuesday rejected a plea agreement in Miami that would have included a three-year prison term.

The second-year veteran, charged with felony assault and misdemeanor battery stemming from an alleged June 1 altercation, faces a maximum of 16 years in prison if convicted of both charges. Taylor is free to travel within the United States, and, thus, to report to the Commanders' training camp as he defends himself against the charges.

Players under contract are to report to camp July 31 with the first on-field practice set for the following afternoon.

The plea offer came during a hearing in the courtroom of Judge Mary Barzee in a short sesion during which Taylor did not speak. Miami-Dade assistant district attorney Mike Grieco said there was no latitude in the plea-bargain offer because the charges carry three years as the minimum sentence.

Grieco said that he did not object to the defense request for Taylor to be able to travel because he does not regard the former University of Miami star as a flight risk. "He is a national figure," Grieco said. "So I am not concerned."

Taylor's attorney, Edward Carhart, said his client never considered the plea deal. He reiterated that he expects Taylor to be exonerated. A conviction, and three years of jail time, would jeopardize Taylor's promising career.

Barzee confirmed a Sept. 12 trial date in the case, but Carhart almost certainly will ask that it be continued, likely until after the 2005 season. The Sept. 12 date comes just one day after the Commanders face the Chicago Bears in the regular-season opener.

In a separate courtroom on Tuesday, Charles Caughman, who was alleged to have been with Taylor on June and who also faces a felony assault charge, likewise refused a plea offer. Caughman would have had the felony charge either dropped or reduced in return for his cooperation with the prosecution. Such a deal would have forced him to testify against Taylor. Caughman has a trial date of Oct. 3.

Taylor, 22, was the fifth overall player chosen in the 2004 draft and was a starter in 13 games as a rookie, finishing with 89 tackles and four interceptions. He skipped all of the team's offseason program prior to the alleged June 1 incident, did not return any phone messages from head coach Joe Gibbs, and there were rumors that he was seeking to have his contract reworked.

After charges were filed, Gibbs excused Taylor from the remainder of the scheduled workouts, including a mandatory June mini-camp, but said he expected the free safety to be in training camp on time. Team officials have closely examined Taylor's seven-year, $18 million contract because they could seek repayment of some bonuses, or withhold payments due him, if he misses playing time because of a conviction.

The contract, which has a maximum value of $40 million with incentives, does include "default language" that would permit readjustments for time missed.

Taylor turned himself in June 4 following a three-day search for him. The alleged incident is said to have occurred when Taylor engaged in an argument over two vehicles he said were stolen from him. The incident has brought scrutiny from the league, and Taylor could fall under the purview of the NFL's personal conduct policy, which could bring a fine or suspension.

Gibby!

Pom Pom Waving Shill
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Co-Defendant In Taylor Case Is Considering A Plea Deal

Tuesday, July 12, 2005; Page E02

Joe Gibbs decided against retaining Larry Hill, who was hired before last season as a full-time replay official.-- Amy Shipley

Taylor aside, I always wondered why more teams didn't do what Gibbs did here? It seems like instead of protecting his assistants from getting emotionaly caught he himself got emotionaly caught up. I think its a good idea if the coach actually listens to the replay official... I hope more teams try this tactic. Anybody have any statistics on Win/Loss of replays and who has replay officials?

yesfan

Reaction score
Washington Commanders safety Sean Taylor on Tuesday rejected a plea agreement in Miami that would have included a three-year prison term.

Wow,if this is his plea offer,i don't think the DA is taking this case too
lightly.These guys have some extremly bad aura to them,Gibbs has to
be rethinking on his decision to coach again.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Hostile said:
The co-defendant in the criminal case involving Washington Commanders safety Sean Taylor planned to decide by today whether to testify against Taylor as part of a plea deal with the Miami-Dade state attorney's office, according to his attorney.

looks like taylor's "good buddy" may roll over on him. ooooh.... that's gotta hurt.

k19

Reaction score
yesfan said:

Wow,if this is his plea offer,i don't think the DA is taking this case too
lightly.These guys have some extremly bad aura to them,Gibbs has to
be rethinking on his decision to coach again.

Thats a gift under the new 10-20-Life gun laws in FL. They have signs all over the place for it, 3 or 4 between the GA border and Tampa that i have seen

USE A GUN AND YOUR DONE

During the commission of a crime:
Pull a Gun-Mandatory 10 Years
Pull the Trigger-Mandatory 20 Years
Shoot Someone-25 Years to Life (whether they live or die)

New Mandatory Minimum Prison Sentences for:
Three Time Convicted Violent Felons
Drug Traffickers
Aggravated Assaults/Batteries on Law Enforcement Officers or an Elderly Person
Repeat Sexual Batterers

Effective July 1, 1999, Florida Statutes shall be established to:
Increase to 10 years the minimum prison term for certain felonies or attempted felonies when the offender possesses a firearm or destructive device during commission of the offense or flight therefrom;

Mandate a 20 year minimum term of imprisonment when the firearm is discharged

Mandate a minimum term of imprisonment of 25 years to life in prison if someone is injured or killed

Mandate a minimum term of 3 years for possession of a firearm by a felon

https://fpc.state.fl.us/10-20-life.htm

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
looks like taylor's "good buddy" may roll over on him. ooooh.... that's gotta hurt.
JMO, but that is the only way they'll make anything stick.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:

Actually, his buddy turned down the deal...

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile said:
JMO, but that is the only way they'll make anything stick.

Unless there are 3rd party witnesses who could testify without having an obvious agenda...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Unless there are 3rd party witnesses who could testify without having an obvious agenda...
I think this goes under the rug SB.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Kind of ironic. The "bad arse" dudes who stole the ATV's actually called the cops ratting out Taylor for pulling a gun? So they snaked his ATV's, did what Taylor should've done, call the police, and then have the last laugh with Taylor possibly in a heap o' trouble? Is this how it works? Glad to see he thought this one through.

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I think this goes under the rug SB.

While Taylor might well ultimately skate on this, I don't think there's much chance of it going under the rug, Hos... looks to me like the prosecutor has a hardon for Sean... a classic case of a prosecutor tryin' to make a name by bringin' down a celebrity...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear said:
While Taylor might well ultimately skate on this, I don't think there's much chance of it going under the rug, Hos... looks to me like the prosecutor has a hardon for Sean... a classic case of a prosecutor tryin' to make a name by bringin' down a celebrity...
I agree, but 9 times out of 10 the jury smells that and acquits.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Taylor is a thug. The Jury could very well look at him, see the son of a high police official that thinks he can get away with anything because he is rich and famous, and bury him. Wouldn't bother me if they did- he has it coming.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Pump fake, Taylor watching Key over the middle....Crayton running down the sideline with a step on the CB...Taylor see's this too late...TD !

Sounds like those guys who (supposeably) stole the ATV must have watched that play. Taylor bit on the stolen ATV, didn't react fast enough to call the cops...Free-lanced and was burned.

If this guy is aquitted, I say in our home game against the skins, we have Rowdy roaming the sidelines on an ATV, which looks like Taylors...He get pissed and chase down Rowdy...Bingo...TD !

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I haven't found a verification that his co-defendant turned the plea option down. I found where Taylor turned his down.

yesfan

Reaction score
Commanders' Taylor Rejects Plea Offer in Assault Case

By Amy Shipley
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, July 13, 2005; Page E01

MIAMI, July 12 -- A Miami-Dade circuit judge Tuesday gave Washington Commanders safety Sean Taylor freedom to travel within the United States as he defends himself against felony assault and misdemeanor battery charges after Taylor rejected a plea deal from the Miami-Dade state attorney's office that included a three-year prison term.

Judge Mary Barzee reaffirmed Taylor's trial start date as Sept. 12, one day after the Commanders' season opener against the Chicago Bears at FedEx Field. Taylor faces a maximum of 16 years in prison if convicted of the charges stemming from a June 1 altercation in Miami over his two stolen all-terrain vehicles.

Meantime, in another courtroom at the Richard E. Gerstein Justice Building on Tuesday, the other defendant with connections to Taylor's case, Charles Elwood Caughman, also declined a plea bargain from Miami-Dade assistant state attorney Mike Grieco and received an Oct. 3 trial date, meaning he will not appear as a prosecution witness against Taylor -- a development considered a boost to Taylor's case.

Taylor, 22, did not speak during the brief hearing. When asked outside Barzee's courtroom whether he planned to report with other players for Commanders training camp on July 31, he said, "We'll see." Taylor, wearing a blue dress shirt, khaki dress pants and brown leather shoes, left about five minutes after the hearing, brushing past television cameras.

Taylor's attorney, Edward Carhart, said he expected the start of the trial to be pushed back, possibly until after the season, though he did not ask for a continuance Tuesday.

Carhart, who informed Barzee that Taylor has residences in Washington and southwest Dade County, added that he expected Taylor to show up to camp on time and participate actively in the season's activities.

"I hope so," Carhart said. "I'm sure he hopes so. I'm sure the Commanders hope so. . . . I can't call the shots for him, but I would expect to see him in camp."

Though Commanders Coach Joe Gibbs excused Taylor from the team's minicamp because of his legal problems, he said he expected the second-year safety to attend training camp.

The attorney for Caughman, Evan Hoffman, said his client could have had the felony assault charge against him -- which carries a 15-year maximum sentence -- dropped had he agreed to cooperate against Taylor. Caughman was charged with allegedly wielding a bat in the incident in which Taylor was accused of pointing a handgun and hitting a man with his fist.

"We were ethically and morally obligated to turn down the offer because we are steadfast in maintaining his innocence," Hoffman said.

Grieco said he had no choice but to offer Taylor a plea bargain that included three years imprisonment because the charges carried that minimum mandatory sentence.

That comes "from a statute, that doesn't come from me," he said.

Grieco also said he did not object to the defense request for freedom for Taylor to travel as a member of the Commanders because "I don't feel Mr. Taylor is a flight risk. He's a national figure. I'm not concerned."

Carhart said Taylor gave no consideration to accepting the plea offer.

"I don't know many people who like to be in prison," he said. "We consider Mr. Taylor to be innocent and I think the evidence will show he's innocent."

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
silverbear said:

or maybe he's an FSU alum... ;)