Coach Fassel's Cries - Episode One: John in June

T-RO

Reaction score
Some say it's the sound of melancholy, like the howl of a lone wolf on a wintry mountain cleft. Others describe the sound as vicious, a Doberman's growl before assault. Still others report the cries as pitiful: the persistent wimper of a starving stray.

What so greatly ails or torments Special Teams Coach John Fassell to drive this audible phenomena? Alas, it is his special teams unit and the troubling recognition that the calendar has hit June. It's the guttural response to repeated gut punches. It's the growl to grab a player. It's June and John's unit is under-equipped and getting picked apart by multiple front office execs and coaches in Frisco, all with more power than him.

Fassel's Cries:

"They call me Bones cause you keep starving me of players. Can't do this no more, Jer. Can't do it."

"Giffy's Gone. Gone I tell ya. I knew him. He knew me. Then...just snatched, away." Luke, I am your father!...er, well I was. It's just so wrong!

"Who is my placekicker, Jerry? Don't tell me its this Vizcaino kid. Don't even try to tell me that, Jer!"

"Back off there, Dan. Oh you want Sam Williams for a lot more snaps on defense? And you're the one worried he's tired? He's my guy, Dan. Sam gave me size and speed for 16 special teams snaps a game in 22! Don't be cutting into that with too many defensive snaps, Dano. He's my guy. And don't think I don't notice you getting googly-eyes with Damone Clark."

"Big Mike we've been through this before! I need backup running backs and WRs for my unit. C'mon Mike...You telling me Deuce Vaughn is gonna cover a punt? Zeke? Brandin Cooks? No D-Hop has never done it."

Join us next week in another installment of...
Fassel's Cries: The Ruining Rules, Roger Goodell

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
This all might break him. Fassel's cries unheard, the guy could snap.

VWCFUC2WAZDLFE5AK23QCSI2UQ.jpg

T-RO

Reaction score
Fassel, stripped of needed talent for his ST unit, punctures ball, grinds teeth, yet still fights to re-assure his players:

"It's gonna be OK."

special-teams-coordinator-john-fassel-of-the-dallas-cowboys-runs-drills-during-training-camp.jpg

T-RO

Reaction score
Obviously I'm enjoying some off-season goofiness here, but do have some serious thoughts.

Being a special teams coach must be like being the youngest kid in a large family. You don't get best part pieces of chicken. You get hand-me-downs. Gotta fight to get a word in. All reports are that Fassell is one of the best and is a fun guy, beloved by his players.

Here are 3 special teams concerns:

1- Who replaces the production of Luke Gifford, an inside linebacker, who led the Cowboys in special teams tackles in 2022. He played in 16 games and tallied 17 tackles. Signed in March with the Titans.

2- We really can't be serious with what we have now at kicker. Tristian Vizcaino, current Cowboys FG Kicker, has played for four different teams in four seasons. With Pats, Cards and Niners he never lasted more than two games.

3- Two additions, Cooks and Vaughn don't seem to fit as ST players. If Zeke comes back he won't. If D-Hop is signed, he won't. You need some of your RBs, WRs and TEs to fill out a solid ST unit.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are no easier yards gained or lost in a football game than special teams. Whether is pinning a offense deep for your defense, or running a kick or punt to midfield for your offense, it can and does effect outcomes
This is something a HC needs to make a priority. Along with penalties, discipline, and execution. MIKE

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously I'm enjoying some off-season goofiness here, but do have some serious thoughts.

Being a special teams coach must be like being the youngest kid in a large family. You don't get best part pieces of chicken. You get hand-me-downs. Gotta fight to get a word in. All reports are that Fassell is one of the best and is a fun guy, beloved by his players.

1- Who replaces the production of Luke Gifford, an inside linebacker, who led the Cowboys in special teams tackles in 2022. He played in 16 games and tallied 17 tackles. Signed in March with the Titans.

2- We really can't be serious with what we have now at kicker. Tristian Vizcaino, current Cowboys FG Kicker, has played for four different teams in four seasons. With Pats, Cards and Niners he never lasted more than two games.

3- Two additions, Cooks and Vaughn don't seem to fit as ST players. If Zeke comes back he won't. If D-Hop is signed, he won't. You need some of your RBs, WRs and TEs to fill out a solid ST unit.
Good points, but it is the 1st week of June. Wright is a good ST's player, and supposedly Joseph was coming along as well. Too bad neither can play CB. Same for Goodwin.
But can they really keep 3 CB's just for ST's? Unless their CB play picks up all of a sudden.

Time to get Jabril Cox to step up on ST's as well. Gifford is a loss on ST's, but he offered nothing at LB.
Coyle is a possibility as Bell also to step up.

K, I don't see that happening until TC. I think they was to give Vizcaino all the kicks he can get in first.

As for the players you mentioned not playing ST's. Well there are a lot more that don't either. We don't even see Pollard out there on KO returns anymore.

quickccc

Reaction score

1) FG kicker would be easiest My must-have/must need No. 1 special teams priority. Games and playoff chances are won and lost off big critical kicks to win or lose the games.

2) Luke Gifford will be a big loss on SP. But this is when the McClay and Bones get together to get the Gifford's,.. Noah Brown's and CJ Goodwin's
in offseason per FA or undrafted to groom them for special teams.

That may be a Markis Bell...An Israel-Izzu Maku.... a Devin Harper ..a Simi Fehoko ..... We'll get a core SP guy or two. ..Watch for preseason standouts on Special teams

T-RO

Reaction score
1) FG kicker would be easiest My must-have/must need No. 1 special teams priority. Games and playoff chances are won and lost off big critical kicks to win or lose the games.

2) Luke Gifford will be a big loss on SP. But this is when the McClay and Bones get together to get the Gifford's,.. Noah Brown's and CJ Goodwin's
in offseason per FA or undrafted to groom them for special teams.

That may be a Markis Bell...An Israel-Izzu Maku.... a Devin Harper ..a Simi Fehoko ..... We'll get a core SP guy or two. ..Watch for preseason standouts on Special teams
Kickers can kill seasons. This is my single biggest concern with all things Cowboys right now.

Clark was used heavily on ST when he first hit Sunday rosters. But with his increased use at LB they seemed to pull back on his ST counts. That could be another guy Fassel can't use so much in 23.

T-RO

Reaction score
My reaction as well. He had me with the wolves and Dobermans. Then he lost me.
I know. I completely fumbled that whole second paragraph, and the whole thing needed another round of revision. I'd have to give myself a C-.

Should have given it some more time and care.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Maher will be the kicker. He had one really bad game. Dak has had dozens and we keep him around. And there are some vets out there and probably some Aussie futballers that can do the job. Dallas has all kinds of hybrid lb safety guys. They will play ST and be just fine