Coach Mike Leach -- Texas Tech

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
What do you guys think about going to get Leach as an Offensive Coordinator? Someone's going to do it eventually, it might as well be us. Obviously this article shows that people are already looking at him. It looks like he's revolutionizing the offensive game, plus he's a Pepperdine law school alum. :D It's written by Michael Lewis (author of Moneyball). It's a pretty long read, but an excellent one. Sorry if this has been posted before.

http://www.mytimes.com/2005/12/04/magazine/04coach.html?emc=eta1

Natedawg44

Reaction score
why would someone leave a head coaching gig at a top 25 program to work for someone.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
the guy uses like 5 wideouts that ain't happening with Bill

Tobal

Reaction score
Those wide splits would get the QB killed, did you see the hits Hodges took against decent college teams?

DMOB

Reaction score
Sorry, his style won't work in the NFL. Just look at what happened to Spurrier when he brought his offense to Washington. Ramsey got killed.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Leach's gimmick offense garbage might work in college, but as Steve Spurrier proved, that spread crap doesnt work in the NFL.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I really don't think, unless he gets a head coaching job, that Payton is leaving. BP certainly won't fire him.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan said:
Tech runs a gimmicky offense that wouldn't work in the NFL.

So no.

Ahh, brings back wonderful memories of Steve Spurrier's "Fun & Gun" offense. :lmao: Or as Buddy Ryan so elegantly put it, the "Chuck & Duck" offense back when the "run & shoot" was so popular in Houston. :rolleyes:

Thanks, but no thanks!

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I don't know if Mike Leach is the answer or not. You have to remember that Spurrier has an Offense that works well in college but it was a joke in the Pros. However I do agree that what we need is an Offensive Coordinator. We need to get him the tools to implement his system and we need to have Bill Freakin' Parcells to stay the Hell out of his business.

Parcells is about as clueless as they get when it comes to Pro Offenses; he needs to stick to interfering with the Defense and let an Offensive mind take over the Offense. Him and his play it close to the vest with a bus driver QB and let the Defense win the game is a bunch of Crap. Let the Offense play Offense and let the damn Defense keep them from catching us; but is ain't gonna happen as long as Bill Parcells and his old 1980's attitudes are in place here.

playit12

Reaction score
I don't think Leech runs anything too similar to the Fun and Gun, but I actually think his offense would have even less success in the pros.

First he has huge splits on the O-Line. He needs these in order to make the draw a viable run option. That is, after all, his only real run option. It also opens up the lanes for the QB. He also runs 4-5 WR sets often. He needs this to run multiple depth routes to account for the pressure to the QB. At any time the QB has an outlet down the field. Leech always runs one or two WRs into the center of the field. The helps keep the LBs from being able to blitz.

Now here is why this would never work in the Pros.

You can't play with the splits across the front 5. There aren't 5 lineman on any team today that can block a DE or DT completely one on one. Nearly all use the interior lineman to occupy space (not linemen) to not only block the interior pass rush, but decrease lanes for the LBs to rush into. Which brings me to the second problem. Linebackers are faster, while CBs are better at disrupting and slowing routes. This means that the QB would be sacked well before any of his outlets came open. It works in the College level where you have athletic (and thinner) offensive lineman that can engage the defenders for a limited time, but it would not work in the pros.

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
I don't think the offense would work in the nfl either. I will say, imagine if Tech had the talent of UT running the same offense... WOW

playit12

Reaction score
Lifetimeboyzfan said:
I don't think the offense would work in the nfl either. I will say, imagine if Tech had the talent of UT running the same offense... WOW

Tech will always struggle against the most talented of opponents. Teams that put NFL quality guys on the field. That has been true when they play the best of the Big 12 (Oklahoma and Texas) and would certainly be true against teams like USC. I think Texas is better off with it's own Offense, I don't think Tech's would be much better with increased physical talent.

conner01

Reaction score
already been tried. the oliers(houston for you younguns) tried it, it failed. they had the perfect qb is moon but you can't win in the nfl if you can't run the ball. they could'nt and they lost. won't work, ask june jones

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Just to play devil's advocate... If Leach wants to make the move, I think he WILL be in the NFL someday. People are always scared of change, cause there's always the risk that "it won't work." But what if it does work. If you've read Moneyball or know anything about Billy Beane, people still are reluctant to move to his system of statistical analysis, because it's different. It's a risk, but if it ends up working someone will be looked at as a genius. Plus, how shocking would that be to see us go from our plain vanilla conservative offense to the "oopty-oop," whether it works or not.