Coaching Malpractice - use of Parsons

Majic

Reaction score
It's been taking place in Dallas for the last couple of seasons. When is this going to be picked up locally and nationally that Dallas in order to get the best out of Parsons need to be running a 3-4 scheme. MM is heavily experienced in this scheme. Why are we not building this? If it is down to Dan Quinn he needs to be told rather than the other way around and the Cowboys listening to him.

If Quinn is staying he needs to be told to change.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
I'm curious, how would you go about building a 3/4 with our current personel?

And what players/positions would you add in free agency or draft?

Would you keep Lawrence as a OLB?

Bring back Hankins?

What to do with Mazi?

Thorn

Reaction score

Bring back Hankins?

What to do with Mazi?
Great question, and this is how I see it with our current roster. One, our linebackers are not good enough, big enough for 3-4.
Parsons and Overshown as OLB
NG at nose
Osi and ? And DE
We are not built for this with the front 7 and I have no idea where Lawerence plays. He would be a liability as OLB

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The defense was missing a all pro CB and a young promising stud at LB.
I honestly hope Quinn leaves so you guys see how hard these guys played under him
He is worth 4 wins just by the hustle of his teams.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's been taking place in Dallas for the last couple of seasons. When is this going to be picked up locally and nationally that Dallas in order to get the best out of Parsons need to be running a 3-4 scheme. MM is heavily experienced in this scheme. Why are we not building this?
With what LB's?

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
I honestly hope Quinn leaves so you guys see how hard these guys played under him
I like Quinn, but What do you think happened in the GB game? Was he outcoached? Was it personnel?

Problem I have with his defense is they can not stop the run consistenly... but after watching GB run all over San Fran yesterday I'm not sure if anything can be done about that.

Thorn

Reaction score
DL is awful against the run. Playing Parsons at DE is a huge liability against the run

yentl911

Reaction score
I said this since he was drafted - get him off the ball and let him chase the ballcarrier and/or blitz. We need to get bigger on the D-line and we need to get bigger and more athletic at LB if we really want to be physical and stop the run as mentioned several times on this site.

Too easy to take Parsons out of the game at DE and he doesn't have the build to be taking on these 300 lb tackles. Move him around

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Quinn, but What do you think happened in the GB game? Was he outcoached? Was it personnel?

Problem I have with his defense is they can not stop the run consistenly... but after watching GB run all over San Fran yesterday I'm not sure if anything can be done about that.
I think we went into the game with a plan the offense was gonna score a lot and we were just going to try and limit them and both failed
I also think the player's found out Quinn was leaving and it probably disrupted the continuity of the bunch.

yentl911

Reaction score

Too small on Defense - plus the one LB we had out there is absolutely clueless. Clark might be the worst LB I have ever watched at LB in the NFL and that is really saying something after watching Jaylon and Bobby Carpenter play here.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DL is awful against the run. Playing Parsons at DE is a huge liability against the run
We were 5th in points allowed and that's the only defensive stat I care about.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Bring back Hankins?

What to do with Mazi?
its a transition. hankins at nose. Lawrence at one DE. Osa at other DE. armstrong and couple of others can rotate. Mazi is back up NT. then you make Parson outside LB. Clark is the MLB. you can try Lawrence at strong side OLB, as we did with Ellis, but he is a liability in coverage if he has to drop there. perhaps Sam williams can be the strong side OLB. we obviously are light at LB and have to draft and sign a few.

its never a one year transition.

but we can have a good start.

however, 3-4 is weaker against the run, unless you have big LBs that can roam and attack the line. our LBs are build like safties. because some of them were safties

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Just add real linebackers to the roster…not 200 pound safeties disguised as them

Majic

Reaction score
Great question, and this is how I see it with our current roster. One, our linebackers are not good enough, big enough for 3-4.
Parsons and Overshown as OLB
NG at nose
Osi and ? And DE
We are not built for this with the front 7 and I have no idea where Lawerence plays. He would be a liability as OLB
Were we not told the personnel could play both 4-3 and 3-4 and that players acquired should be able to play both. This was never the case as the are undersized

Thorn

Reaction score
We were 5th in points allowed and that's the only defensive stat I care about.
We also lost to every team that was good, especially if they could run the ball. I guess you could say we kinda beat Detroit, only quality win.