CFZ Coaching Matters in December

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are all hoping for a “December to Remember“ as the saying goes. The next 5 games on our schedule will not only determine our playoff seeding this year, it will also probably determine a ton in the NFC’s playoff seeding picture.

Playing really well in December is a habit of teams who are serious about making a playoff run. The HCs in our history that have had great records in December usually meant we were headed for a good January too.

Look at the records of our HCs in December:
TOM LANDRY

• His all time record in December was 55-31-1.
  • Landry’s December record in the 1970s decade was an astounding 25-3!
JIMMY JOHNSON
  • His December record as HC in Dallas was 12-7.
  • Between 91-93, his record was 9-1.
BARRY SWITZER- His December record as Cowboys HC was a paltry 6-8.
CHAN GAILEY was 3-5 in Dec games.
DAVE CAMPO was 4-9 in Dec games.
BILL PARCELLS
was 8-9 in Dec.
WADE PHILLIPS- was 5-7 in Dec.
JASON GARRETT was 23-15 in Dec.

NOW…MIKE McCARTHY- his all-time record in December as a HC is a stellar 47-19.
  • In Green Bay his record in Dec was 36-17.
  • In Dallas so far over 3 seasons has been 11-2.
So it’s obvious….playing well in December is very important. Starting this Sunday we have a chance to start another great playoff drive.
Heres to another “December to Remember!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We are all hoping for a “December to Remember“ as the saying goes. The next 5 games on our schedule will not only determine our playoff seeding this year, it will also probably determine a ton in the NFC’s playoff seeding picture.

Playing really well in December is a habit of teams who are serious about making a playoff run. The HCs in our history that have had great records in December usually meant we were headed for a good January too.

TOM LANDRY

JIMMY JOHNSON
BILL PARCELLS was 8-9 in Dec.

So it’s obvious….playing well in December is very important. Starting this Sunday we have a chance to start another great playoff drive.
Hope it's a January to remember and not be sad about :rolleyes:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We should be able to close out the NFC East with the Eagles limping. If we can’t beat them on Sunday night, there is absolutely no reason to believe in this team.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I'm telling you MM is the diference, I dont know why KM stayed (i have my suspicions) but MM is a great coach...it only took me seeing we dont lose over ONE injury now..
McCarthy has always been very good compensating for injuries. He smoked the Cowboys in AT&T with Matt Flynn at QB and the year he won a SB with GB, they had 15 guys on IR and lost Driver and Woodson during the SB to injury.

Praxit

Reaction score

TOM LANDRY

JIMMY JOHNSON

..yes sir, Bullet. Its going to be a good Xmas for us.

MM, knows how to let it snow in DEC.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

TOM LANDRY

JIMMY JOHNSON

Players matter in december.

We talk about "system: ...:"coaching"....."jerry".

DO the players WANT it?

How bad?

Do the players want it?

Praxit

Reaction score
Bookmarked,.

Is it? Well since you say so ....
merry-christmas-happy-new-year.gif

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, it’s going to be tough to run the table 5 straight. Just win Sunday vs the eagles and start off December right. This team needs to start playing consistently good football from here on.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, it’s going to be tough to run the table 5 straight. Just win Sunday vs the eagles and start off December right. This team needs to start playing consistently good football from here on.
"consistently" is the key. I know...it's vague...it really is.

Just play average ...I think. Dak, Parsons, .....Pollard ...O-line. D-backs. D line.
Not sure how to say it or coach it....but all you guys are good enough. As good as anyone else. Just play.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
this 100%..everyone will say "Coach speak" but its real if you ever played..one game at a time, defeat the opponent in front of you and move on to the next one.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yes, BobHaze this next five games will be the most anticipated of those December games by us here, in a boat load of Sundays.

This fan is mucho excited and looking forward watching our Cowboys. I'm expecting good, but exciting football at the least. Yes Sir, this excitement that a real fan cherishes to head into January. Let's go, Boys!

Negative parroting is not needed now. :starspin: Enjoy things for a while. Here in Corpus, when I talk about being a Cowboys fan and someone says until Landry was let go...I always start off how old was he when his team started to lose? I loved him with his greatness as well. This here group of Cowboys are mine NOW. I won't go back to watching film!!

GMO415

Reaction score

TOM LANDRY

JIMMY JOHNSON

Bullet, thanks....just when I had erased Campo as the HC from my mind, here comes Bullet. Bwahaha

JustChip

Reaction score
The thang is, the Cowboys don’t necessarily have to win out. And even if they do, there’s no guarantee they’ll win the Division. It all depends on what the Eagles do. I don’t believe the Eagles will win out so it will depend on who besides the Cowboys they lose to and who the Cowboys lose to if they do.