Adams – 2nd round
Kosier – high priced FA
Gurode – 2nd round
Rivera – high priced FA
Columbo – 1st round (Bears)
Glenn – 1st round (Patriots) high priced FA
Jones – 2nd round
Romo – FA

It would seem that we have some pretty good talent based on the above. Or have we been wasting money and draft picks on a bunch of stiffs?

Perhaps the coaches aren’t getting the most out the talent that we have. The majority of these players were hand picked by Parcells. Did Parcells pick a bunch of overrated, under achievers? Or is he just a bad talent evaluator? Perhaps bad coaching.

What do you think?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Our coaching staff is among the worst in pro football, IMO. It stems from a basic mindset of playing "not-to-lose" rather than playing to win and colors everythijng this team does. Players are more worried about not making mistakes than they are about making plays. Big plays win big games, it is as simple as that. Parcells is more concerned with time-of-possession than he is with scoring TDs.

Parcells likes Zimmer because he comes from a similar mindset, the Dave Campo school of "Bend-but-don't-break" defense which tries to milit big plays by the other team but it doesn't work and never has. That's why this team hasn't had a good defense since 1995 (the year Campo took over as DC).

This team has WAY too much talent to be playing this poorly. It has no heart, is unprepared, and falls flat in big games. The players haven't bought into what Parcells is preaching and we need a new, younger HC as well as a whole new staff to breathe new life into this team. Look what Sean Payton did for the Saints this season as an example of what I'm talking about.

We are wasting the few years we have swith many of these players and it is time for a change.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1300549 said:
Is our problems coaching related or personnel related:

Defense:
Ware – 1st round
Canty – 4th round
Ferguson – high priced FA
Spears – 1st round
Carpenter – 1st round
James – 4th round
Ayodele – high priced FA
Newman – 1st round
William – 1st round
Watkins – 5th round
Henry – high priced free agent
(Ellis – 1st round)

Offense:
Owens – high priced FA
Fasano – 2nd round
Adams – 2nd round
Kosier – high priced FA
Gurode – 2nd round
Rivera – high priced FA
Jones – 2nd round
Romo – FA

It would seem that we have some pretty good talent based on the above. Or have we been wasting money and draft picks on a bunch of stiffs?

Perhaps the coaches aren’t getting the most out the talent that we have. The majority of these players were hand picked by Parcells. Did Parcells pick a bunch of overrated, under achievers? Or is he just a bad talent evaluator? Perhaps bad coaching.

What do you think?

The majority of those guys are barely in there 2nd year, some are rookies, give it time...:starspin

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
ELDudearino;1300759 said:
The majority of those guys are barely in there 2nd year, some are rookies, give it time...:starspin

Ware and Spears are in the second year, but they are not really a problem. Watkins and Fasano are rookies.

So what majority are barely in the second year?

CallMeCrazy

Reaction score
I had a similar post about our defense on Saturday, not analyzing the offense.

I would definitely say coaching. Seattle had a depleted secondary with Pete Hunter starting. Dallas didn't even attack this obvious weakness. Parcells is a great evaluator of talent, likely great motivator, but we need an OC and a DC.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Coaching is the biggest problem, which was very evident earlier in the year, and then again in December/January. How can you not adjust the scheme to match up against a team every week?

Big Dakota

Reaction score
You had teams beating us with FBs for cripes sake. Payton looked like he had our game plan faxed to him. The Eagles had no problem confusing us, nor did the Lions. We couldn't even exploit Pete FREAKIN Hunter and his Elk guide partner. This team has a flawed staff with flawed game plans.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Everyone says this is a copy cat league but what I don't understand is why more defensive coordinators don't adopt the Patriot's philosophy of forcing players out of their comfort zone. For example, in the Seattle game, Bellichek will dare Hasselback to throw deep but take away his passes to the flats and intermediate tosses over the middle. Yes, it's a gamble but it usually pays for them. Instead, we allow Hasselback to have the flats and those passes over the middle. All that does is enable Hasselback to develop rhythm and increase his confidence in the game. The Patriots were so succesful against the Colts because they never allowed Manning to get comfortable.

joseephuss

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1300944 said:
Everyone says this is a copy cat league but what I don't understand is why more defensive coordinators don't adopt the Patriot's philosophy of forcing players out of their comfort zone. For example, in the Seattle game, Bellichek will dare Hasselback to throw deep but take away his passes to the flats and intermediate tosses over the middle. Yes, it's a gamble but it usually pays for them. Instead, we allow Hasselback to have the flats so that he can develop his rhythm and timing?

His rhthm and timing were bad all game.

Colombo shouldn't be considered a 1st round talent any more. He is on his second team and not because he signed a lucrative FA contract. He is a resurrection project, so in my mind is just some guy. Fasano was not worthy of a 2nd round pick. Witten was a 3rd rounder and Fasano certainly wasn't a better prospect than him. Was Kosier really that high priced? And just because you pay a lot of money, doesn't mean they made the right choice. That applies more to Rivera than Kosier. Wow, I just mentioned 3 guys on the O-line. That doesn't include Flozell who I think is talented, but one year away from a blown out knee. I am not a big fan of the offensive schemes and play calling, but I just don't see that much to work with on the O-line. It is not a bad line. It just isn't one that is dominating.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Its both.

We are still a very young, inexperienced team looking for some more chemistry.

The coacing is terrible... teams who play not to lose dont ever win.

DipChit

Reaction score
THUMPER;1300681 said:
The players haven't bought into what Parcells is preaching and we need a new, younger HC as well as a whole new staff to breathe new life into this team. Look what Sean Payton did for the Saints this season as an example of what I'm talking about.

I agree.. it's time to move on.. yet you could pretty much say the same thing in BP's first year here as you can with Sean.. cept obviously they have a couple more dynamic players than what we had on offense so they're going at least a lil farther. But for all we know they'll be .500 next year.

Still I think the point is, theres enough evidence to suggest that more often than not these days just about every coaches act wears thin fairly quickly and/or the team flatlines for whatever reasons.

Regardless, you cant just go by how highly guys are drafted or how many FA's you sign. Every team goes through the same thing every year. Why assume the draft picks are really good until they prove it. Why assume particular FA's are the answer unless they're Deion or TO territory where theres no question they're one of the best at their positions. Kozier? Ayodele? eh..

In our case at the moment the coach has proven in the past on more than one occasion that he can win. What have many of our players ever shown at this level? His approach doesnt keep Ware and Newman from being players we all recognize as being really good... whats the matter with so many others?

If a coach has had some success in the past I tend to assume he can have it again if only he can assemble fairly comparable talent that fits what he's trying to do.

I'm sure Jimmy down in Miami would have loved to replicate what he did here. Anything even close for that matter.

I'm sure Norv each and every year is trying to develop the next Triplets where ever he goes... sometimes with some very high draft picks to try and do it with. Hows that worked out the last 10 years?

Again this isnt meant to stick up for BP.. this time around it obviously hasnt worked out to his or any or our hopes and expectations.

But that doesnt mean this team is busting at the seams with talent any more so than the Bengals of the 90's even though they picked top 3 every year.

We prolly just get fooled into thinking that way sometimes just because our drafts from 94-'01 werent just ordinary..they were flat out hideous.

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
coaching..........

The gameplan for Seattle sucked!! They were missing multiple players in their secondary and we didnt attack. We cant get any pressure because our defensive coordinator is a 4-3 guy, and has always been a 4-3 guy. Our offensive line coach sucks..... and needs to be replaced with.......... Alex Gibbs please, ATL OL Coach, one of the best OL coaches in the history of the league!!!

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1300549 said:
Is our problems coaching related or personnel related:

Defense:
Ware – 1st round
Canty – 4th round
Ferguson – high priced FA
Spears – 1st round
Carpenter – 1st round
James – 4th round
Ayodele – high priced FA
Newman – 1st round
William – 1st round
Watkins – 5th round
Henry – high priced free agent
(Ellis – 1st round)

Offense:
Owens – high priced FA
Fasano – 2nd round
Adams – 2nd round
Kosier – high priced FA
Gurode – 2nd round
Rivera – high priced FA
Jones – 2nd round
Romo – FA

What do you think?

Why do you have Fasano instead of Witten? Just curious.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
80% of the issues are on the Oline and Dline in my opinion. The Seahawks Oline came into the game struggling and Dallas was able to generate just enough pressure to stop some drives. Most of the game Seattle had both of their safeties 20 yards deep and Dallas still couldnt run the ball effectively vs them and everytime the Boys got in 2nd and short they came up and stuffed us. People say our schemes arent as creative as NE's but when you watch the Pats play they can generate pressure rushing 3 and 4 men pretty consistently, whether its Seymour, Banta-Cain, Wilfork or Warren, someone on their Dline makes a play. Their Oline made the adjustments they had to give Brady the time he needed when the Jets where rushing 6 men. Dallas did a poor job of blocking the 4 Seattle was sending most of the game. They had 2 safeties way back, both corners playing off our WRs and we still couldnt run the ball as effectively as we should of been able to. If Dallas could of ran the ball as well as they should of been able to Seattle would of been in a really bad situation.

I dont care what the scheme is if you dont win the 1 on 1 matchups more often then not you are going to lose.

es22

Reaction score
FLcowboy;1300907 said:
Coaching is the biggest problem, which was very evident earlier in the year, and then again in December/January. How can you not adjust the scheme to match up against a team every week?

Excellent point. We are so passive. We cannot recognize a team's weakness and attack it.

That was the difference in the game.

DipChit

Reaction score
Well when Jimmy was down in Miami and went 8-8, 9-7, 10-6, 9-7 was the problem personnel or coaching?

Admittedly he did win 2 playoff games down there ..one by 7 points and one by 3 points. But he also lost 3 of them.. by 14, 35, and 55.

Thats a pretty mediocre run for such a "great" coach so I'd have to assume it was personnel issues.

Why couldnt it just be the same thing so far in this case?