College fans help me out

playmakers

Reaction score
Im doing a argumentive research paper on college athletes getting paid. My question is, what college football players were sure 1st or 2nd round picks but got hurt playing and never made it to the show. Im drawing blanks. Any help would be great.

I got the other side finished; athletes putting schools on the map or back on it. Randy Moss at Marshall, Mike Vick at Virgina Tech, and Mcnabb at Syracuse. These guys made their schools lots of money. I just need the other half, thanks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
playmakers said:
Im doing a argumentive research paper on college athletes getting paid. My question is, what college football players were sure 1st or 2nd round picks but got hurt playing and never made it to the show. Im drawing blanks. Any help would be great.

I got the other side finished; athletes putting schools on the map or back on it. Randy Moss at Marshall, Mike Vick at Virgina Tech, and Mcnabb at Syracuse. These guys made their schools lots of money. I just need the other half, thanks.

Not sure. Have you seen the raising rate of tuitions? I would not mind if they were given a small allowance but other than that I think they need to keep pay out of college sports

Hoov

Reaction score
playmakers said:

Here's another angle, in some cases i dont think they are allowed to have jobs, i remember someone talking bout that. maybe it was something to do with scholarship and there was some clause in that or something.

playmakers

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. Michgan gets 20 million just for going to a bowl. My argument is, say Mike Vick broke his knee cap in his last college game, where does that leave him? He put VTech back on the map. Its a nice argument in both ways.

I just need examples of players who got hurt. I think im going to use Jason White as one example.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
playmakers said:
Thanks for responding. Michgan gets 20 million just for going to a bowl. My argument is, say Mike Vick broke his knee cap in his last college game, where does that leave him? He put VTech back on the map. Its a nice argument in both ways.

I just need examples of players who got hurt. I think im going to use Jason White as one example.

But if you open up that can of worms by paying player why not pay those students who are working on projects through grant money that many companies pay to colleges for research? Sports in not the only thing that brings money into the colleges yet no one ever suggest those students be paid. Bobby Jones once said the death of sports will be money why ruin college sports by paying athletes I think you just asking for trouble.

joseephuss

Reaction score
1990 or 1991

BYU QB Ty Detmer was a junior, led his team to something like a 10-1 or 10-2 record, beat top ranked Miami and won the Heisman trophy. He then went to the Holiday Bowl and separated both shoulders playing against A&M.

It is possible that Detmer could have entered the NFL draft after that season, but with both shoulders hurt he decided to return to BYU.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
1990 or 1991

BYU QB Ty Detmer was a junior, led his team to something like a 10-1 or 10-2 record, beat top ranked Miami and won the Heisman trophy. He then went to the Holiday Bowl and separated both shoulders playing against A&M.

It is possible that Detmer could have entered the NFL draft after that season, but with both shoulders hurt he decided to return to BYU.

I remember seeing that game, Detmer was a gamer in college

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
As you bring up these points of players being injured and costing their careers, don't forget to throw in Willis McGahee.

He blew his knee in his last bowl game. Was still drafted in the first round and is now playing for Buffalo. While it may blow a hole in your argument, you don't want to leave something like that out and have someone discredit your argument.

Also, I can go with your point of Vick and Moss (and Pennington) putting their teams on the map. However, Syracuse was on the map long before McNabb ever came along.

Edited to add this comment: After re-reading your first post about the players making a lot of money for the schools, it could be argued that the school's made a lot of money for the athletes by providing them an opportunity to develop their skills to the next level and providing the opportunity to showcase them to the NFL scouts. I agree, these athletes make a lot of money for the schools, but it's a two-way street.

Please take these comments as someone playing the devil's advocate. I'm not trying to discredit your ideas as I haven't read your paper. Just throwing out some alternative thoughts that you might want to cover.

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
Example: In 1999, Florida DT Ed Chester would have been a sure first rounder...had a season and career ending injury. Excerpt from article:

Ed Chester knew the chances of suffering a true career-ending injury were small, but he still took out a $1-million policy through Lerner for less than $12,000 before his senior season at Florida in 1998.

Chester, a defensive tackle, suffered a knee injury that ended his chances for a pro career. He collected his payout roughly a year later.

Chester still lives in Gainesville, Fla., and works at a Boys and Girls Club helping area youth. Not surprisingly, he advocates purchasing insurance.

“That policy allows me to do a job that I enjoy,” he said. “I think guys are dumb if they don’t do it.” (quote from third article below)

I have given you the links to some articles that mention what happened to Ed.

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/news/2003/0106/1488252.html
http://apse.***BANNED-URL***/contest/2003/writing/40-100/40-100.news.third.html
http://www.agents.hometownquotes.com/weblog/index.php?p=98
http://clasnews.clas.ufl.edu/news/alumninotes/03fall/alumnispot.shtml
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/07/27/Sports/Policy_pays_for_forme.shtml

When I was in school, that was a debate we had in some classes...should college athletes be paid. I think some can have summer jobs. I think it's amount of pay and hours that determine this (I may be thinking about something else, see NCAA rules to verify). My opinion is that they are getting a free ride to get an education/play football. I don't really think they should be paid. I didn't get paid to go to school, in fact, I'm still paying for it! :p:

playmakers

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I take no exception to your opinions, actually I like reading them. I picked this topic because I can write alot of information on sports[the paper has to be 10 plus pages].

Thanks for the "Chester" player,it was a nice help.

I was thinking about changing Mcnabb to. I need to think of a replacement now. I thought of Culpepper and Mcnair, but their schools did nothing since they left.

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
playmakers said:
Thanks guys. I take no exception to your opinions, actually I like reading them. I picked this topic because I can write alot of information on sports[the paper has to be 10 plus pages].

Thanks for the "Chester" player,it was a nice help.

I was thinking about changing Mcnabb to. I need to think of a replacement now. I thought of Culpepper and Mcnair, but their schools did nothing since they left.

See if this search helps with NCAA rules as far as student-athlete employment:

http://www.google.com/u/NCAAOnline?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&biw=&q=student-athlete+employment

dwmyers

Reaction score
playmakers said:

The problem with this kind of question is that players who exhibit 1st or 2nd round potential and get injured tend to be drafted anyway. You have the example of Tai Streets, who was considered a 1st-to-2nd round prospect before his injury and was drafted in the 6th round in 1999 by the 49ers. There is Shaun Rogers (2nd round pick of the Lions in 2001) and of course, Chris Canty this year by the Cowboys (4th round pick in 2005).

There is the story I heard in my youth of Steve Cassidy, all-SEC defensive lineman for LSU. He was, I was told, at least as good as AJ Duhe, a star defensive line performer for Miami after his LSU years, buuut.. as the story goes, he played on a congenital back defect, a problem with his spine that never gave him any problem as a college player, but led to him being rejected in the pros. The only problem with this story is that it is, at least in part, an urban myth. One Steve Cassidy, DT LSU, was drafted in the 7th round by the Cleveland Browns in 1976.

David.