College football coach firing is getting ridiculous

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
These big programs are just as bad as the NFL now. How in the heck do they expect coaches to build a dynasty through recruiting in two or three seasons? Didn't it take Tom Osbourne at least 10 years as coach at Nebraska before he won anything? With these coach firings, you'd think it's an easy two-year project to turn a team into a dynasty.

It's especially troubling when they have such litttle patience for coaches like Willingham who are bringing in entirely new offensive systems and have to recruit as such. Ty Willingham was given squat. His uphill climb was tough if you consider the academic requirements at Notre Dame. Rebuilding that program is going to take a lot longer than they gave Willingham.

Living in Central Florida, I was a witness to the Gator fans tearing up Ron Zook. People don't realize how Spurrier let that recruiting program fall apart. Spurrier was lucky to take control of the school after some solid recruiting classes. Zook goes 7-4, ranked #19, beats Florida State and it looks like his players love him by winning out in his last games. They didn't give him more than a few years either to prove anything.

Frank Solich won more than 75% of his games at Nebraska and was fired after a 9-3 season. Yeah, Bill Callahan is really tearing it up in Nebraska now, ain't he? :rolleyes: I bet they'll end up firing Callahan as sood as he finds the recruits he needs for their new pass-oriented offense.

I feel like a Cowboys Zone message board is running these big college football programs with all the "sky is falling" firings.. :D I guess the fans really are running some of these programs though if they're dishing out the big money.

joseephuss

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
These big programs are just as bad as the NFL now. How in the heck do they expect coaches to build a dynasty through recruiting in two or three seasons? Didn't it take Tom Osbourne at least 10 years as coach at Nebraska before he won anything? With these coach firings, you'd think it's an easy two-year project to turn a team into a dynasty.

It's especially troubling when they have such litttle patience for coaches like Willingham who are bringing in entirely new offensive systems and have to recruit as such. Ty Willingham was given squat. His uphill climb was tough if you consider the academic requirements at Notre Dame. Rebuilding that program is going to take a lot longer than they gave Willingham.

Living in Central Florida, I was a witness to the Gator fans tearing up Ron Zook. People don't realize how Spurrier let that recruiting program fall apart. Spurrier was lucky to take control of the school after some solid recruiting classes. Zook goes 7-4, ranked #19, beats Florida State and it looks like his players love him by winning out in his last games. They didn't give him more than a few years either to prove anything.

Frank Solich won more than 75% of his games at Nebraska and was fired after a 9-3 season. Yeah, Bill Callahan is really tearing it up in Nebraska now, ain't he? :rolleyes: I bet they'll end up firing Callahan as sood as he finds the recruits he needs for their new pass-oriented offense.

I feel like a Cowboys Zone message board is running these big college football programs with all the "sky is falling" firings.. :D I guess the fans really are running some of these programs though if they're dishing out the big money.

I agree with everything you said except Solich. He was not doing well recruiting talent. He shouldn't be expected to win a national championship every year, but it looked as if the program was on the decline due to a lack of talent.

He also was a bit rigid and not willing to run a more diversified offense. You really need talented lineman and running backs when you are a running/option type team. When you incorporate a more diversied attack, you can do a little more with less talent. He wasn't getting those players. The offense looked bad this year and would have looked worse if they tried the old system.

The real shock is the defense. They have really slipped in the quality of players they brought in to play what was year in and year out and dominant defense.

I didn't think Callhan was a good hire and you are right in that he probably won't be given a chance. Whoever takes over at Florida will inherit some talented players. Willingham got screwed. Hardest job in college football.

I think Bob Stoops really ruined it for every coach by winning a so called national championship in his second year. Set expections beyond reason.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
What if Meyer decides to head to Florida instead of ND? They are screwed then. Willingham wasn't given enough time to build through a totally fresh group of recruits... I think ND may have just shot themselves in the foot here.

Duane

Reaction score
CowboysPrincess said:
What if Meyer decides to head to Florida instead of ND? They are screwed then. Willingham wasn't given enough time to build through a totally fresh group of recruits... I think ND may have just shot themselves in the foot here.
I agree. I think Ty is a damn good coach and ND is going to kick themselves in the butt over this for a long time.

Eddie

Reaction score
They gave Paul Pasqualoni a decade in Syracuse and he hasn't done squat. His recruiting stinks, his option offense can't get any real passers or WR's, and he seems content to go 6-5 every year.

Time for a change.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
It isn't all about his offensive system, even though it's been inconsistent at best, pathetic at worst. His success in his first season was very similiar to our season last year. They had a good, opportunistic defense that made plays and scored points, and sometimes carried that team. The offense was unspectacular but didn't make a ton of mistakes. They finished that season 2-3 as teams figured out how to stop them.

They didn't have that last year or this year. Their defense has been great against the run for the most part but their secondary is small, slow and didn't make many plays. That was underscored in the 1st half against USC when they had chances for two momentum changing plays, but couldn't make them.

Over the past 3 seasons, Willingham's teams have lost 5 games by more than 30 points, 8 games by 22 or more points. The recruiting wasn't great before he got to ND, but hasn't improved since he's been there either.

That 10-3 season that resulted in nearly half his wins was probably his downfall, though. It raised expectations higher, faster.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Meyer is good as gone to ND. The local media here in SLC knows it. The Utes know it as well and will do anything they can to keep Kyle Whittingham (their DC) from bolting to BYU. Their OC Sanford is also in the running for the UNLV job.

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
royhitshard said:
Yes And Florida Got Burned!

That's what we're afraid of...and it looks like Zook is going to Illinois. BUT, Tedford, Petrino, Stoops (of course), and a couple others are still out there. Davis has said he's taking a year off. Whether or not that can be translated to "I'll be coaching at UF" is yet to be seen. LOL!

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Avery said:
Meyer is good as gone to ND. The local media here in SLC knows it. The Utes know it as well and will do anything they can to keep Kyle Whittingham (their DC) from bolting to BYU. Their OC Sanford is also in the running for the UNLV job.

Boy, one undefeated season will do miracles for a coach's career. ;) They won't have a single member of that coaching staff left after the bigger programs get their paws on them.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Duane said:
I agree. I think Ty is a damn good coach and ND is going to kick themselves in the butt over this for a long time.

But you know the critics have a point. Look at the number of blowout losses that Tye's teams underwent. And when Notre Dame won; it was usually because they just scraped by. Most of his wins were less than impressive and it didn't look like his program was improving and making steady progress. It's not that impressive to upset Michigan if you lose to BYU in the same year. His teams were not consistent and that's what troubled Notre Dame.

joseephuss

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
But you know the critics have a point. Look at the number of blowout losses that Tye's teams underwent. And when Notre Dame won; it was usually because they just scraped by. Most of his wins were less than impressive and it didn't look like his program was improving and making steady progress. It's not that impressive to upset Michigan if you lose to BYU in the same year. His teams were not consistent and that's what troubled Notre Dame.

Beating Michigan was no big deal. They are overrated. They lost big to their rivals at OSU and ND. They barely beat teams like Michigan St. and San Diego St. Michigan was just not that impressive this season. They do have some nice young talent that can be very good in a couple of seasons.