College Football fans?

LonghornCowboy

Reaction score
Any college football fans out there? As a die-hard Cowboys fan, I will totally admit that, IMHO, college football is more exciting than the pros.

Interesting topics/things to look forward to for this upcoming season:
1. Will Texas finally win a big game under Mack Brown?
2. Will Notre Dame return to prominence?
3. How well will Nebraska do trying to run Bill Callahan's West Coast offense?
4. How many games will SMU win this year?
5. Who will be the surprise team of the 2004-5 season?
6. Will the NCAA ever decide to have a playoff instead of the flawed BCS?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
LonghornCowboy said:
Any college football fans out there? As a die-hard Cowboys fan, I will totally admit that, IMHO, college football is more exciting than the pros.

GO UNIV OF MEMPHIS TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
LonghornCowboy said:

1. Yes
2. No
3. I hope not well. I can't stand Nebraska and I live in the midwest.
4. 6
5. Good question, but I think that the top 25 will be the "regular" top teams again this year. It seems there's always one that surprises at the beginning to middle part of the year, but eventually comes down, although there are exceptions. In short, I dunno.
6. Unfortunately no.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

1. Will Texas finally win a big game under Mack Brown? IMO No

2. Will Notre Dame return to prominence? Hard to tell. I hope not as I hate Notre Dame <evil>

This may take awhile...it is not like Nebraska has been a hot bed for WRs or QBs known for throwing the ball. The bigger question may be...can Callahan recruit the players he wants for his system...and can he control a program/players of the magnitude of Nebraska?

4. How many games will SMU win this year? Could not tell you...do not follow SMU.

WVU....with some of the other teams leaving the Big East..>WVU should win and get a BCS bowl game...and will probably goto that BCS bowl game and choke like they normally do in bowl games :mad:

6. Will the NCAA ever decide to have a playoff instead of the flawed BCS? We can only wish...but chances are it will not happen....these guys are too stubborn and set in their ways to admit another way might be better.

Oh and btw the teams I follow are West Virginia University and the other instate team Marshall University (school where R.Moss, Leftwich and Pennington played at for those who do not know Marshall).

LonghornCowboy

Reaction score
You'd think that a college football playoff would be a no-brainer. Considering the amount of money currently being ponied up for the currently flawed bowl/BSC format, imagine how much dough they could get with a winner take all playoff. Considering the '2nd place is 1st loser' mantra that permeates society today, the interest would have to be staggering. (Think of how many non-football fans watch the Super Bowl.)

I know that all of the hypocritical college presidents will cry that it hurts the academic integrity of college football, but considering that (a) all of the lower divisions (I-AA, II, and III) have playoffs without such issues, and (b) thanks to road games and March Madness, basketball players miss tons of classes in the spring, you'd think they'd get off of their high horses. I'm sure that there are some coaches of mediocre programs that want to keep the current bowl system, ostensibly to 'preserve the tradition' while in reality covering their proverbial backsides by winning the Weedeater Bowl instead of getting drilled by Miami or OU in the first round of the playoffs.

Of course, like everything else, ultimately it's going to have to come down to money. Some network will have to have the cojones to say "We'll pay XXX million for a playoff, and nothing for this current crap" before something happens. Until then we'll just have to rely on voters who don't watch the games and computer geeks who have never played it to tell us who is #1.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
when they put in a college playoff system only then could college football imo surpass the NFL. but i gotta admit some of those college games can get pretty exciting.