Colts | Vanderjagt a free agent; may not be back

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Colts | Vanderjagt a free agent; may not be back
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:43:22 -0800

Adam Schefter, of NFL.com, reports Indianapolis Colts PK Mike Vanderjagt is an unrestricted free agent in March, and the Colts are not expected to do much to keep him.

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
I wouldnt mind getting him, i hope he doesnt ask for much, if he does then i think that Longwell or Nedney should be our other 2 options. If Vanderjagt is willing to accept a smaller contract then i think we will bring him in. If he wants too much, then i dont think we get him. Depends on what Jerry and Parcells want to do.

I sure do hope we either get
1) Vanderjagt, Longwell or Nedney
2) LeCharles Bentley
3) Corey Chavous
4) Witherspoon(or any other good available LB)

That would make my offseason!!!!!!!!!!
If Vanderjagt is released, i say we get him in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!

Hailmary

Reaction score
Give him what he wants. Bring him in.

I think it's been made abundantly clear how important a good kicker is. Especially on a team that has an inconsistant offense, but w/ a D good enough to keep them in games.

W/ a solid kicking game, we would've made the playoffs this year (though I'm not sure how far we would've been able to advance).

jumanji

Reaction score
despite his playoff miss...he still is one of best fg kickers out there. my guess is he asks for too much

Hailmary

Reaction score
jumanji said:
despite his playoff miss...he still is one of best fg kickers out there. my guess is he asks for too much

I'm not sure what too much is. W/ the type of team we have he could be the difference maker in at least 2 or 3 games. 2 or 3 games could mean the playoffs. I say give him what he wants.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Pretty good kicker and just showed he was human this weekend. He is something like 14-15 in the playoffs which I dont know how long that goes back.

Would be a great addition to the franchise. After missing that kick, he probably wants to do nothing but have a good regular season, get back into the Playoffs and prove the kick was a fluke.

I have no problem letting him prove that in a Cowboys uniform.

I have no clue what our Cap situation is going to be though.

- Mike G.

sjw213

Reaction score
....yes, he's a great INDOOR kicker.....he may not be worth the extra $$$, esp. when other areas are requiring upgrades

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
demdcowboys#1 said:
2) LeCharles Bentley
3) Corey Chavous

That would make my offseason!!!!!!!!!!
If Vanderjagt is released, i say we get him in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!

I seriously doubt our offseason goes like that, I doubt we spend alot of money

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Get us a new Center, Johnson just doesn't seem to be strong enough, and an OLB who can bring the heat, and this team will imrpove by 2 wins already.

jbsg02

Reaction score
He probably cost himself a few dollars when he missed that kick.

VThokie7

Reaction score
There is one reason why I don't think we'll see Vanderjagt in Dallas. Vanderjagt doesn't kickoff, there is a reason they brought in Cortez just to kick off, Vandy is horrible at it. Parcells will not give up 3 roster spots to kickers

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
demdcowboys#1 said:
2) LeCharles Bentley
3) Corey Chavous

Bentley and Vanderjagt would be my two top priorities, in that order... but given the Boys' cap room this year (not what it was last year), those two might well wipe out most of their free agent money... in that event, I'd suggest substituting Akin Ayodele for Witherspoon, and Dexter Jackson for Chavous...

Jackson probably makes more sense anyway, he's a natural free safety while Chavous has spent a lot of his NFL career playing strong safety... Jackson's numbers in the areas of ints and passes defensed are as good as any safety's out there, suggesting he's one of the stronger cover FS's out there...

ddh33

Reaction score
I don't think Vanderjagt is going to top the Cowboys wishlist at kicker. I think Vinatieri will get that honor. But I'm not completely sure that Vanderjagt would even be #2 on their list. Ryan Longwell is a pretty good kicker who might be a better fit.

sago1

Reaction score
NE will do what is necessary to keep Vinetarie so we can forget him. That probably puts Vanderjagt at top of the list with the Packer PC Longwell next. Before signing either, I'd want to know percentage of FG made, distance, location & situation on field when FG kicked and of course how deep they kick the ball for maybe the last 2-3 years just to be able make comparison. As long as we sign an good & experienced vet, I'd be okay with any of the top 2-3 kickers.