Combine Live Wire: February 24th; some interesting NOTES!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
burmafrd;3287462 said:
Ross Tucker was talking today on Sirius, and as a former O lineman he seemed to think Iupati is only going to make it in the NFL as an interior lineman.
I want him as an interior lineman. I think we have bigger needs interior than we do at OTs.

Rolando McClain remains my #1 hope and with Miami looking to sign Dansby my hopes are up again. Iupati is a close 2nd at this point for round 1.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3287471 said:
I actually knew this before the Combine. Our Defense has evolved. It is far more likely that Newman could end up at FS than we would draft a FS with coverage issues. Mays speed at ILB on the other hand is enticing. He could cover TEs or pursue a ball carrier laterally. If you think about it, it makes sense.
Newman at FS..... I don't even know how I feel about that. I still think he'll be a corner next season. Mays at ILB does make sense as long as he puts on a little more weight. would he have a chance to start if we draft him? he'd be a good nickel LB too imo.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rampage;3287476 said:
Newman at FS..... I don't even know how I feel about that. I still think he'll be a corner next season. Mays at ILB does make sense as long as he puts on a little more weight. would he have a chance to start if we draft him? he'd be a good nickel LB too imo.
I don't think he would start because our ILBs are very solid. I am not saying Newman will move to FS BTW. I am saying we are looking more for guys who are good in coverage, than big hitters.

Woods

Reaction score
Hostile;3287471 said:
I actually knew this before the Combine. Our Defense has evolved. It is far more likely that Newman could end up at FS than we would draft a FS with coverage issues. Mays speed at ILB on the other hand is enticing. He could cover TEs or pursue a ball carrier laterally. If you think about it, it makes sense.

Some very good points, Hos.

Most mock drafts typically have only 1 CB taken in the top 20 picks (excluding E Thomas who may be able to also play CB). That would mean that we could potentially have our pick at CB at 27 - which could be real value.

If the Cowboys ever decided to move Newman to Safety, that could make a lot of sense.

With respect to Mays, I wonder if the Cowboys would be willing to invest a Round 1 pick and feel comfortable moving him to ILB? That would be quite a switch for him. Not that he doesn't have the athletic ability, but it seems like a pretty big risk (and potential reward) in Round 1.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3287507 said:
I don't think he would start because our ILBs are very solid. I am not saying Newman will move to FS BTW. I am saying we are looking more for guys who are good in coverage, than big hitters.
that's the way to go these days between it being a more passing league and chances are if you lay a big hit on a wr you're probably gonna get flagged anyways because of all these ***** rules these days.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Mays would have to bulk up a lot to be a ILB in a 3-4. Especially since we play in such a physical division.

I think he is more suited as a ROLB in a 4-3.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3287532 said:
Mays would have to bulk up a lot to be a ILB in a 3-4. Especially since we play in such a physical division.

I disagree with the 1st sentence. he's like 230 pounds and could add another 10 easy.

I do agree though that he would be better suited as a 4-3 OLB.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
CATCH17;3287532 said:

He would add on some size in the workouts and he could end up being a very good nickle LB for us. I don't think we would take him in the 1st if we plan on moving him to ILB but could end up to be pretty good value if he slipped into the second.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rampage;3287517 said:
that's the way to go these days between it being a more passing league and chances are if you lay a big hit on a wr you're probably gonna get flagged anyways because of all these ***** rules these days.
That last part got my blood boiling. I so agree. It's football, not ballet. Leave the etiquette at the door.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rampage;3287536 said:
I disagree with the 1st sentence. he's like 230 pounds and could add another 10 easy.

I do agree though that he would be better suited as a 4-3 OLB.
I agree with both comments.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dash28;3287540 said:
He would add on some size in the workouts and he could end up being a very good nickle LB for us. I don't think we would take him in the 1st if we plan on moving him to ILB but could end up to be pretty good value if he slipped into the second.

Yeah I can buy this but I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on the guy.

You never know if this guy will want to be as physical once he is asked to take on some of these beast olinemen in the NFL.

For me a combo of Brandon Spikes and J Williams sounds like a good future to me if you want to go the ILB route early.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CATCH17;3287555 said:

You never know if this guy will want to be as physical once he is asked to take on some of these beast olinemen in the NFL.

For me a combo of Brandon Spikes and J Williams sounds like a good future to me if you want to go the ILB route early.
I think Mays is a 2nd round pick at this point.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hostile;3287556 said:
I think Mays is a 2nd round pick at this point.

Thats what I would have him as but after seeing all the hype around him I wasn't sure.

The guy just seems like a perfect canidate for this years reach by Al Davis.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CATCH17;3287562 said:
Thats what I would have him as but after seeing all the hype around him I wasn't sure.

The guy just seems like a perfect canidate for this years reach by Al Davis.
Oh I know. Maybe Uncle Al will want him at #27 and give us a sweet deal.

Noryb

Reaction score
Hostile;3287451 said:
To a comment above, no word on ILB or OLB, but I think if we did look at him it would be ILB because he is quite smart and has lateral speed and we are deep at OLB.

Only other tidbit I have heard so far is that OL is going to be a major focus early and I think we all figured that out already.

Hostile, you had a tidbit last off-season on how the Cowboys liked Free and thought that he had a bright future. Do you know how they feel about Brewster?

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
CATCH17;3287555 said:

I would be fine with a Spikes selection. I can dream that McClain will fall to us.

Bigdog

Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3286903 said:
4.67 at 310 pounds Bruce Campbell, thats astonishing. My God. He DEFINITELY won't fall past the raiders.

Al Davis is thinking about using him as WR and Jamarcus Russell as the tackle:laugh2:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dash28;3287597 said:
I would be fine with a Spikes selection. I can dream that McClain will fall to us.

I cant even envision Ware and McClain on the team together because of how deadly it would be.

I seriously think McClain will end up being the Demarcus Ware of MLB's in this league and if you actually put him next to Demarcus Ware than its a done deal for opposing offenses.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Noryb;3287592 said:
Hostile, you had a tidbit last off-season on how the Cowboys liked Free and thought that he had a bright future. Do you know how they feel about Brewster?
They really like him. He is seen as either a Guard or the future RT. This Camp and pre-season will be very telling for him.