Combine, Resigns, Problems

Sandyf

Reaction score
Well the combine has started and the Cowboys have started to talk to several prospects although until the actual player visits and Dallas Days start, we really won't know who they are actually interested in drafting.

And that may not even be a guy they draft especially in rounds 1 and 2 as if a guy with a way higher grade by the Cowboys is there, then they easily could draft that person. Free agency is also going to play a part because as normal we will restructure some contracts to get under the cap and resign some of our guys and then sign some free agents most likely in the range of no more than $3/$4 million a year guys or less expensive to fill spots or backup area.

The problem I see is whether they will keep some good players like Lawrence and Cooper or decide to move on hoping to hit pay dirt in the draft. IMO, they keep Lawrence for at least this year and probably do a restructure. It won't be liked by many but until you resign Gregory, you can't blow your DL completely up. Cooper's case is different. He is definitely a #1 WR but I feel in Dallas' case it is a combination of two things. The first is money where he is making a boat load but maybe more pressing is his not being vaccinated. It appears he MAY be the only guy on the roster or at least starter that is not. It cost him two games last year and we struggled. Yes the OL was a huge factor but Cooper is a guy that can always find a way to get open and after those two games he seemed to struggle to do that very thing.

I do think that they will attempt to trade Cooper. The Browns and Jaguars would seem likely teams that definitely need a true #1. What would we get for him? Remains to be seen although I don't think a second is out of the picture.

The other problem is the OL and it must be addressed in free agency and the draft. We have to run the ball better and protect better. We can point to stats all you want but we watched the games and we constantly were behind the chains either with penalties or poor play with the OL missing blocks on run plays. Don't believe Williams will be back and do not have a lot of confidence in McGovern at this point. Biadasz played better this year but some of his line calls were also the problem where guys came up the middle with little or no problem. Then there is the Smith problem with injuries. He is still a great LT when he is in the game but the problem is how many games is he going to miss. Is Ball ready? Can Collins move to LT (he was one in college)? Will Steele be up to the task if ask again to play LT? Loaded questions.

I don't anticipate this happening but with what is regarded as just a so-so draft class, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas trade not only Cooper but Smith and maybe even Brown/Lewis. I would include Jarwin in that phase but he isn't going to be ready to play until probably October if he ever plays again. The surgery he is having is like hockey players have and most do not come back soon and some never. Doesn't bring a lot of confidence in him playing until mid season at best which he probably why the Jones are considering franchising Schultz and also why Fehoko is being now touted as a hybrid WR/TE and also why Nick Ralston has been doing more off season work at TE.

Will any of this change the out look for free agency? Not with Stephen Jones it won't. Jones do not have the same attitude toward things that the Rams do and whether good or bad, it is something fans will have to live with again this season. First up is going to be restructures though as if they want to franchise Dalton they have to get under the cap before that date to franchise comes.

Going to be a fun filled couple of weeks before free agency starts.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well the combine has started and the Cowboys have started to talk to several prospects although until the actual player visits and Dallas Days start, we really won't know who they are actually interested in drafting.

And that may not even be a guy they draft especially in rounds 1 and 2 as if a guy with a way higher grade by the Cowboys is there, then they easily could draft that person. Free agency is also going to play a part because as normal we will restructure some contracts to get under the cap and resign some of our guys and then sign some free agents most likely in the range of no more than $3/$4 million a year guys or less expensive to fill spots or backup area.

The problem I see is whether they will keep some good players like Lawrence and Cooper or decide to move on hoping to hit pay dirt in the draft. IMO, they keep Lawrence for at least this year and probably do a restructure. It won't be liked by many but until you resign Gregory, you can't blow your DL completely up. Cooper's case is different. He is definitely a #1 WR but I feel in Dallas' case it is a combination of two things. The first is money where he is making a boat load but maybe more pressing is his not being vaccinated. It appears he MAY be the only guy on the roster or at least starter that is not. It cost him two games last year and we struggled. Yes the OL was a huge factor but Cooper is a guy that can always find a way to get open and after those two games he seemed to struggle to do that very thing.

I do think that they will attempt to trade Cooper. The Browns and Jaguars would seem likely teams that definitely need a true #1. What would we get for him? Remains to be seen although I don't think a second is out of the picture.

The other problem is the OL and it must be addressed in free agency and the draft. We have to run the ball better and protect better. We can point to stats all you want but we watched the games and we constantly were behind the chains either with penalties or poor play with the OL missing blocks on run plays. Don't believe Williams will be back and do not have a lot of confidence in McGovern at this point. Biadasz played better this year but some of his line calls were also the problem where guys came up the middle with little or no problem. Then there is the Smith problem with injuries. He is still a great LT when he is in the game but the problem is how many games is he going to miss. Is Ball ready? Can Collins move to LT (he was one in college)? Will Steele be up to the task if ask again to play LT? Loaded questions.

I don't anticipate this happening but with what is regarded as just a so-so draft class, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas trade not only Cooper but Smith and maybe even Brown/Lewis. I would include Jarwin in that phase but he isn't going to be ready to play until probably October if he ever plays again. The surgery he is having is like hockey players have and most do not come back soon and some never. Doesn't bring a lot of confidence in him playing until mid season at best which he probably why the Jones are considering franchising Schultz and also why Fehoko is being now touted as a hybrid WR/TE and also why Nick Ralston has been doing more off season work at TE.

Will any of this change the out look for free agency? Not with Stephen Jones it won't. Jones do not have the same attitude toward things that the Rams do and whether good or bad, it is something fans will have to live with again this season. First up is going to be restructures though as if they want to franchise Dalton they have to get under the cap before that date to franchise comes.

A bold move would be to sign Devonte Adams for 25M per year and cut or trade Cooper.
- Then you get the best WR in the league by only adding 5M per to the cap.

Steele is much better at RT than at LT. He did improve at LT last season but I don't see either Steele or La'el being high quality LTs.

They have to consider moving La'el to LG. It basically comes down to the fact that Steele is a better NFL player at RT than McGovern is at LG.
- If they're not going to move La'el, then they should trade him and use his 10M salary elsewhere. Steele is a good RT.
- They could sign a quality LG for the 10M they're paying La'el.

They have to consider drafting a LT early. I think Josh Ball has the physical talent to be a quality LT but they can't alter draft plans based on an unproven player.
- In college, Ball was better at LT in 2017 at Florida State than Steele was at RT in 2020 at Texas Tech.

I don't really like drafting OGs unless they can also play OC at a high level.
- An average caliber starting OG is not that expensive in free agency; whereas, even a marginal LT is expensive.

I hate the idea of franchising Schultz.
- He got open because defenses focused on the Cowboys WRs.
- Also, one of Kellen Moore's best skills is scheming TEs open.
- Schultz doesn't create his own space like Witten and he is not fast.
- Schultz is a very marginal blocker. Better than Jarwin, but still not good.

The 2021 offense would have been dominant if they had a prime years Witten type TE.
- Any issues with the WRs would have been resolved if there was an elite TE on the field.
- The running game would have been better with a starting TE that was quality blocker.
- It's too obvious if they replace Schultz with a blocking TE when they're going to run the ball.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What does Cooper not being vaccinated have to do with anything or any decisions?
Other players and coaches that were vaccinated missed time as well. Including the HC.

Anyway, I am ok if they trade Cooper, but must re-sign Gallup. Or a WR will need to be a target in the 1st round. Olave ran a 4.26 at the combine, and he is the type of WR this team needs.
I feel though, as usual they will flat out release Cooper and get nothing. It is what this team does, as where others teams seem to pull off a trade.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What does Cooper not being vaccinated have to do with anything or any decisions?
Other players and coaches that were vaccinated missed time as well. Including the HC.

Anyway, I am ok if they trade Cooper, but must re-sign Gallup. Or a WR will need to be a target in the 1st round. Olave ran a 4.26 at the combine, and he is the type of WR this team needs.
I feel though, as usual they will flat out release Cooper and get nothing. It is what this team does, as where others teams seem to pull off a trade.

I don't think his status of of vaccinated or not has anything to do with it. I think the 22 mill he is about to get does and the fact we are over the cap.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think his status of of vaccinated or not has anything to do with it. I think the 22 mill he is about to get does and the fact we are over the cap.

I was just saying, why even bring that up.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They have to consider moving La'el to LG. It basically comes down to the fact that Steele is a better NFL player at RT than McGovern is at LG.

But Collins is a better RT than LG. Much better.

LG is a nice spot to get an el cheapo veteran. I expected that to be the plan while we had Frederick. But with a couple of years left on Biadasz, they might spend more and leave Biadasz as is. Very good year for our roster to get a quality LG. We need the depth on the interior oline (with McGovern relegated to depth instead of a starter). Gotta start backfilling and younging up the oline.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A bold move would be to sign Devonte Adams for 25M per year and cut or trade Cooper.

Steele is much better at RT than at LT. He did improve at LT last season but I don't see either Steele or La'el being high quality LTs.

- If they're not going to move La'el, then they should trade him and use his 10M salary elsewhere. Steele is a good RT.

They have to consider drafting a LT early. I think Josh Ball has the physical talent to be a quality LT but they can't alter draft plans based on an unproven player.
- In college, Ball was better at LT in 2017 at Florida State than Steele was at RT in 2020 at Texas Tech.

- An average caliber starting OG is not that expensive in free agency; whereas, even a marginal LT is expensive.

The 2021 offense would have been dominant if they had a prime years Witten type TE.
- Any issues with the WRs would have been resolved if there was an elite TE on the field.
- The running game would have been better with a starting TE that was quality blocker.
- It's too obvious if they replace Schultz with a blocking TE when they're going to run the ball.
I think I saw reports during the season that Collins was open to a move to LG. Steele at RT and Collins at LG could be your best line. Steele was ok ar RT, but he worked hard to improve significantly. Those are they guys you bet on. However I dont think he has the traits to be an LT.

As far as drafting players, Zion Johnson would be a strong add. Can play both OG and OC, and would probably come in and strengthen our OL as a starter at OC

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

It only matters because it annoyed Jerry. Cooper missed two games (both losses) because he had to sit out longer.

The facts are it is a ‘we’ thing when you walk into the locker room, and anybody is being counted on to pull his weight. Everybody expects that. They look around at each other. They understand everybody’s rights. They do. We do. Everybody understands our rights and our options as it pertains to those rights. But can you — if you forget it’s a ‘we’ thing and how important your part is.

Jerry Jones on Amari Cooper: You check “me” at the door with a football team

conner01

Reaction score

You could structure adams where he’s actually cheaper than coop for first year or two
Collins to guard is just too logical lol
I don’t know if a quality LT is falling to 24 but if one did I’d take him
Looking at early mocks, guard may be best value at 24 but it’s early

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It only matters because it annoyed Jerry. Cooper missed two games (both losses) because he had to sit out longer.

The facts are it is a ‘we’ thing when you walk into the locker room, and anybody is being counted on to pull his weight. Everybody expects that. They look around at each other. They understand everybody’s rights. They do. We do. Everybody understands our rights and our options as it pertains to those rights. But can you — if you forget it’s a ‘we’ thing and how important your part is.

Jerry Jones on Amari Cooper: You check “me” at the door with a football team

So Jerry will make another stupid emotional decision over this.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
So Jerry will make another stupid emotional decision over this.

giphy.gif