Commanders expected to sign Shaun Alexander

Spectre

Reaction score
Free agent Shaun Alexander will visit the Commanders on Tuesday.

Alexander will take a physical and NFL.com's Adam Schefter says he could be signed by the end of the day. The Washington Post also has the news. Jim Zorn coached the QBs in Seattle when Alexander was there, so knows Alexander and his limitations well. The Skins are interested because Ladell Betts will miss two weeks with a knee sprain.

Spectre

Reaction score
It's definitely an odd signing if Betts is supposed to only be out for 2 weeks.
I wonder if it isn't more serious than they're letting on.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
So they want to sign Shaun for two games and then cut him again? Don't they have another guy on the roster whose already been there who could do Betts job for two games?

This seems like a wasted roster spot, IMO.

alby

Reaction score
I was surprised Pittsburgh didn't give him a shot when Willie and Mendenhall went down in back to back weeks.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
alby;2337466 said:
I was surprised Pittsburgh didn't give him a shot when Willie and Mendenhall went down in back to back weeks.

Perhaps they realise that he's still sitting out there, this late into the season, for a reason?

The Skins would be, and I'm not saying they for sure will, taking a shot on a guy who hasn't been healthy in like 3 years. With all the talent he has/had you have to question why he'd still be sitting out there waiting for a job with the injuries that have been in the league this year and with some teams having no real running attack at all.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
its been reported that the Commanders are looking at punters, which as you know we need a punter now that mcbrair is probably out for the year,

also, i dont think alexander has anything left but the Commanders are looking at him, and now with felix out 2 weeks or longer, should the cowboys be looking at another running back,

alby

Reaction score
I think we are fine at Barber getting the bulk of the carries with a sprinkling of Choice here and there. Now... if Barber were to go down---THAT'S a totally different story.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
are the cowboys standing flat footed after they knew they needed a punter, while the Commanders are looking at punters, and possibly getting a jump on the cowboys?

alby

Reaction score
Does the NFL give out 10-day contracts?
Hell, I'll punt for them =]

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
As a Clinton Portis fantasy owner, all I have to say is ...

darth_vader_nooo.jpg

Boysboy

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2337493 said:
are the cowboys standing flat footed after they knew they needed a punter, while the Commanders are looking at punters, and possibly getting a jump on the cowboys?

No-their punter has blown chunks all season. He almost costed them the Saints game b/c his poor punt allowed Reggie Bush to return for it a TD, last week he was awful, etc.

links18

Reaction score
Didn't they have some kid running the ball in pre-season that looked really good? Why not sign him rather than washed up Shaun Alexander? Especially if Betts is only out 2 weeks? Makes no sense....

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
All I can think is the Betts injury is more serious than let on. BTW, is Portis a FA at the end of the year, maybe it's a try out to see if he can back Betts next year.